Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kind of the same way, I'm the biggest Star Wars nerd out there I thing. But a number of things have made me go meh

1) The end of Rebels and its replacement with Resistance - I loved Rebels and it became a really strong show, especially at the end of the first season when things come together. Resistance hasn't captured me in the same way. When I recorded Rebels I would watch it that night or the next day. With Resistance because its far more kid friendly for example and the main character isn't very intriguing I watch it when I watch it and find the episodes so far to be forgettable. I find it really telling that they're bringing back TCWs.

2) The new Lore, Expanded Universe - I admit it Legends EU had some outright dogs, but they had some great story lines and characters and did a great job of filling in back story. For some reason the new EU just doesn't do that as well. I've stopped buying Star Wars books because they're poorly written and the new characters just don't seem to be that interesting. The Aftermath books that bridged the gap between ROTS and ANH were just boring.

3) The movies themselves - I liked Solo (Though I don't feel the need to watch it again even though as per tradition I bought it), I loved Rogue One. But the new trilogy just hasn't captured me. Again especially the second one did so many things that were really off setting. The dumbification of Hux, the Luke story just wasn't well executed for me. The Rey back story disposal was baffling. I'm just not super pumped about the new movie, especially when it sounds like they're going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and hope it sticks (Bringing back Lando etc)

In terms of seeing the backstory confrontation of Kyle, Snoke and Luke for example, I don't know if actually showing it is a great thing or not. The one sequence that I loved in ANH was Obi-Wan just talking about what happened to the Jedi. and to Luke's father. You could feel the pain and regret and anger in Obi-wan's voice as he simply told it. I'm not sure if it would have been as good if you had a Wayne's World wavy screen and video montage of what happened. Sometimes simpler is better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #22
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Agree with all those points, Resistance I stopped watching, just not getting me hooked. I also don't like the animation style.

I think the biggest problem is just that episode VIII was such a let down. Now I know that seems like a captain obvious statement, but really it is a huge problem for the trilogy itself. Episode VII was good, it was entertaining, it mixed nostalgia with a host of new characters. I got invested into Rey and Finn, I really liked Poe. Top to bottom a solid Star Wars movie even if it was just them recreating the wheel in some ways.

So they set the stage, they won the fans back from the prequels, but now they had to deliver. There needed to be a hook, there needed to be something to keep us coming back. A Luke I am your father moment, a finger snap with an all powerful glove, something.

They had to bring something unique but traditional to the table in episode VIII, and they fell short. They fell so short of the mark it's like a fighter jet coming into land on an air carrier but initating the landing sequence two miles early. You could see from the get go it was going to miss the mark, everyone could see it, even the damn pilot whether he wants to admit it or not, but he just kept going until eventually he crashed and burned into the ocean. And the air carrier, the franchise, just keeps moving forward, it has more jets it can send out. But the family of the pilot, the fans, are left dumbfounded asking why?

So many un answered questions, and the franchise just keeps steaming forward. The whole thing was just handled so poorly. There is an immense amount of pressure on Episode IX and I hate to condemn it, but I just don't see how they pull it off. How they right the wrongs.

Luke deserved so much better than he got, Hamill himself agrees with that.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-27-2018 at 10:27 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me it felt like a loss of control in the second movie.

They established a lot in the first movie in terms of setting up the background

Rey - waiting for her family and putting a huge emphasis on it. I'm waiting for my family, I have to go back in case they show up. Then they basically poop canned it in that bizarre scene in the cave, followed up by the whole, you're parents are nobodies, they're drunks who sold you. I mean I'm sure that they could try to repair it in the next movie, but simply saying that the Cave and Kylo lied would be looked upon badly.

Snoke - Built him as a big bad, powerful, smart, he seduced Kylo over to the darkside, and rose to become the leader of the first order. Then in the second movie they started with him slinging around Rey like an empty pizza box. But his death was so unsatisfying and he looked silly in dying, and then to add insult to it, they tried to make it funny when Hux found his body.

Kylo - Personality confusion to say the least. He went from a pouty teenager, to a man on a mission to end the past, then reverted back to the pouty teenager all in one movie.

The Rose Finn storyline - Just seemed so unnecessary.

Finally - the opening scene with the forced humor, was literally worse then Lucas' fart jokes in Phantom Menace. It was awkward and stupid and made Hux look like a moron and it pulled me right out of the movie right there, I thought I was watching a Robot Chicken skit.

I don't know what the solution is, do you try to fix it? I think that would make the movie a confusing mess. Or do you ignore most of the events of 8 and just plow on, finish the trilogy as best you can and then write off all of the characters in that movie never to be seen again?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
To me it felt like a loss of control in the second movie.

They established a lot in the first movie in terms of setting up the background

Rey - waiting for her family and putting a huge emphasis on it. I'm waiting for my family, I have to go back in case they show up. Then they basically poop canned it in that bizarre scene in the cave, followed up by the whole, you're parents are nobodies, they're drunks who sold you. I mean I'm sure that they could try to repair it in the next movie, but simply saying that the Cave and Kylo lied would be looked upon badly.

Snoke - Built him as a big bad, powerful, smart, he seduced Kylo over to the darkside, and rose to become the leader of the first order. Then in the second movie they started with him slinging around Rey like an empty pizza box. But his death was so unsatisfying and he looked silly in dying, and then to add insult to it, they tried to make it funny when Hux found his body.

Kylo - Personality confusion to say the least. He went from a pouty teenager, to a man on a mission to end the past, then reverted back to the pouty teenager all in one movie.

The Rose Finn storyline - Just seemed so unnecessary.

Finally - the opening scene with the forced humor, was literally worse then Lucas' fart jokes in Phantom Menace. It was awkward and stupid and made Hux look like a moron and it pulled me right out of the movie right there, I thought I was watching a Robot Chicken skit.

I don't know what the solution is, do you try to fix it? I think that would make the movie a confusing mess. Or do you ignore most of the events of 8 and just plow on, finish the trilogy as best you can and then write off all of the characters in that movie never to be seen again?
TLJ was basically poking fun at Star Wars and Star Wars fans. They attempted to apply the Thor:Ragnorok humour to the Star Wars universe. Part of that was doing away with all the story lines and mysteries that the previous movie had created.

They really missed on how most Star Wars fans view the SW universe though. The movies also act as a jumping point for theories, expanded content, and universe building. TLJ did away with all of that.

As far as I can tell there was no clear plan for movie #3. Once again, baffling to me that they would create a trilogy and allow multiple directors/writers to go in entirely different directions with the two movies.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #25
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scene where the robot was ironing clothes or whatever that looked like a space ship could have been taken right out of Space Balls. The whole tone of the movie felt off.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The scene where the robot was ironing clothes or whatever that looked like a space ship could have been taken right out of Space Balls. The whole tone of the movie felt off.

I think that was supposed to be an homage to a home made movie made in the 80's that used home appliances like toasters and irons for spaceships.

I think it was called Hardware Wars and it was awful.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #27
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Concept art coming out from Episode 7 showing things that could have been:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #28
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Star Wars
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think that was supposed to be an homage to a home made movie made in the 80's that used home appliances like toasters and irons for spaceships.

I think it was called Hardware Wars and it was awful.

That could have actually worked if done in a more subtle way. The first order troops walking around like they're in a Monty Python skit immediately afterwards was just weird.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
I like Star Wars
Well then you have the wrong thread. This is version 12 of the complain about Star Wars thread.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That could have actually worked if done in a more subtle way. The first order troops walking around like they're in a Monty Python skit immediately afterwards was just weird.

One of the best parts of the Force Awakens for me is that they made the storm Troopers look like a threat. They moved like soldiers, they actually hit stuff with Soldiers. Even the fight between Finn and Tr-82R looked like he knew what he was doing, and more importantly they hit stuff.

I thought that was important because in the Original Trilogy the Storm Troopers looked awesome but were key stone cops. In the PT the Clone Troopers were one of the best parts of the movie to me.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #32
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
One of the best parts of the Force Awakens for me is that they made the storm Troopers look like a threat. They moved like soldiers, they actually hit stuff with Soldiers. Even the fight between Finn and Tr-82R looked like he knew what he was doing, and more importantly they hit stuff.
Too bad General Hux was still a cartoon villain in TFA, in contrast to much of the rest of the First Order. He was so over the top compared to everyone else, so it wasn't surprising it carried over into TLJ.

P.S. I like TLJ. I think it was a good movie and enjoyed it on repeated watches.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #33
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

This looks fun.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yup that looks awesome. Love the original sounds and voices.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this anything more than a scene for scene animation re-make? It looks kinda neat, but I don't see anything new here, nor see how they could do it using the original voices.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's just shorts, small chunks of the movies, not a full remake the trilogy.

Nope nothing new, just scenes redone in animation.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Too bad General Hux was still a cartoon villain in TFA, in contrast to much of the rest of the First Order. He was so over the top compared to everyone else, so it wasn't surprising it carried over into TLJ.

P.S. I like TLJ. I think it was a good movie and enjoyed it on repeated watches.

Its a shame because he has the perfect look for the role. Instead they made him weaselly and stupid.

Grand Moff Tarkin is rolling around in a billion pieces around Yavin.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-29-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #38
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but this looked interesting. A Rogue One prequel series which will be on the new Disney streaming service:

https://tvline.com/2018/11/08/star-w...aming-service/

And they're also going to do a series that lies somewhere between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #39
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loadin up on the Wars for the streaming service.

Mandalorian, this one, Clone Wars.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loadin up on the Wars for the streaming service.

Mandalorian, this one, Clone Wars.
They paid a lot of money for the rights.

Especially considering that it looks as though they're going to have to kick the streaming service off without the Original Trilogy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote