Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #1841
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

ASUS, MSI, Zotac, eVGA all announce msrp price hikes on mobo and video cards due to Trump China tariff exemption expiry

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ms...crease-tariffs

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #1842
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My friend finally received his asus 3080 strix oc from memory Express today.

He ordered it on Sept 22nd. Wow
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #1843
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man - I wish I had at least some idea of when I'll get one. Which month or quarter would even be good.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #1844
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't need a 3080 and you aren't picky about the exact model, you can pre-order a 3070 from a smaller retailer and get one pretty quick.

I pre-ordered on new years day and I asked for alternatives when the model I ordered had no ETA. Got one on their next shipment in and had a choice of 5 different models.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #1845
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
If you don't need a 3080 and you aren't picky about the exact model, you can pre-order a 3070 from a smaller retailer and get one pretty quick.

I pre-ordered on new years day and I asked for alternatives when the model I ordered had no ETA. Got one on their next shipment in and had a choice of 5 different models.
I put my name on a list at memory express for a 3070 simply because I've got a ton of gift cards I wanted to use. Hopefully they get some stock soon.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #1846
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I called MemEx just to make sure the RMA on my 5900X still exists.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #1847
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I put my name on a list at memory express for a 3070 simply because I've got a ton of gift cards I wanted to use. Hopefully they get some stock soon.
Normally I buy all my stuff at Memex too since they're local but Memex seems to be bigger online these days and have been overwhelmed with orders/RMAs since the pandemic. You could always save the gift cards (they don't expire)/spend on something else and try your luck at some place like shopRBC and PC-Canada if you are in a rush.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #1848
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For CPers in Victoria, MemoryExpress here as 10+ EVGA XC Ultra 3070s in stock.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #1849
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
For CPers in Victoria, MemoryExpress here as 10+ EVGA XC Ultra 3070s in stock.
$830 :yikes:

Bought this exact card for my buddy at BB 2 weeks ago for $808 after tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #1850
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't know much about computers but I've taken a bit of an interest over the last couple of years. I own a cheap Acer laptop that I bought in 2016 but I was able to add in a second SSD and upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 32GB. I also swapped out my girlfriend's hard drive and upgraded the RAM in her MacBook Pro and man, what a difference it makes.

I've noticed that it seems like all the major computer manufacturers seem to be soldering this stuff so that you can't upgrade it anymore. For this reason, I'd like to buy (or build) a tower that can be constantly upgraded and modified over the years, without the need to shell out for a new computer every few years. Is this possible? If so, where would I even start? Am I better off buying a complete system and then just swapping out components as I go, or building from scratch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #1851
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

I'm guessing these are still old orders and suppliers are just charging more to get these on their shelves here. All manufacturers made $100-150 MSRP price hikes on new 3070 and up a couple of weeks back due to expiring Trump China import tariffs. Unless Biden does a big reverse course I'd expect minimum 3070 prices in the $900 range soon, but that's unlikely to coming any time soon with much more pressing first 100 day priorities and the "Buy American" initiatives. Not to mention the whole Trans-Pacific shipping fiasco.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-29-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #1852
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I don't know much about computers but I've taken a bit of an interest over the last couple of years. I own a cheap Acer laptop that I bought in 2016 but I was able to add in a second SSD and upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 32GB. I also swapped out my girlfriend's hard drive and upgraded the RAM in her MacBook Pro and man, what a difference it makes.

I've noticed that it seems like all the major computer manufacturers seem to be soldering this stuff so that you can't upgrade it anymore. For this reason, I'd like to buy (or build) a tower that can be constantly upgraded and modified over the years, without the need to shell out for a new computer every few years. Is this possible? If so, where would I even start? Am I better off buying a complete system and then just swapping out components as I go, or building from scratch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You could buy a pre-built, but you're paying for the privilege. Often you will pay at least a 100-200 premium, and sometimes they use proprietary parts that can be difficult or impossible to replace. Additionally, often they will skimp on "less important parts" like PSUs, motherboards or RAM to save $$$ (since most people only look at the CPU, GPU, RAM total and case).

If you're comfortable with it (and it sounds like if you've noodled around in a laptop's guts, you're at least at the basics level), there are lots of "build one yourself" videos on YT that are very good to follow as a basic guide. There are definitely parts of the building process where you could throw money down a hole if you screw up (placing the motherboard, seating the CPU, installing the cooler), but with due care and understanding it's not difficult at all.

Personally, I build/rebuild 4-6 PCs a year for friends/acquaintances/myself, and really enjoy it. In the end, building yourself will save money, but even if you go price-point to price-point with a pre-built, you will have better parts and a system tailored to your needs/taste.

This video is a bit older, but I always refer it to people when they want to try building for the first time:

This video is good as well:

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 01-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #1853
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I'm guessing these are still old orders and suppliers are just charging more to get these on their shelves here. All manufacturers made $100-150 MSRP price hikes on new 3070 and up a couple of weeks back due to expiring Trump China import tariffs. Unless Biden does a big reverse course I'd expect minimum 3070 prices in the $900 range soon, but that's unlikely to coming any time soon with much more pressing first 100 day priorities and the "Buy American" initiatives. Not to mention the whole Trans-Pacific shipping fiasco.
It's also likely tied to a scarcity in VRAM:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/VRAM-p....517439.0.html

Quote:
Old 01-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #1854
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's also likely tied to a scarcity in VRAM:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/VRAM-p....517439.0.html
VRAM shortage is tied to the general semi-conductor drought because ABF and wire bonding packages are impossible to get at the moment. This is killing CPU, GPU, and memory chip production because finished chips can't be packaged without this. It's gotten so bad automotive manufacturers had to shut down production lines because they can't get chips for their in digital displays and infotainment systems. Not expected to let up until at least Q3 this year.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ch...ply-processors
Old 01-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #1855
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You could buy a pre-built, but you're paying for the privilege.
What an incredibly thoughtful response to my post. I really appreciate it, and I'll check out the YouTube link now. Many thanks.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:05 AM   #1856
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just checked BB and it's $859 before tax (also OoS), so definitely not just ME hiking prices.

I had been looking to upgrade both my TV and GPU in the next month or so, but TVs aren't seeing much in the way of discounts right now as compared to the same time in previous years and GPUs just aren't a good value for now.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #1857
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

PsYcNeT covered everything, but just wanted to add that if you're already familiar with swapping out components, you can build a PC from scratch. Follow the motherboard manual, watch a few YouTube videos if you need to double check a step and you're good to go.

If you buy components from a place like Memory Express, they'll mount your CPU to the motherboard to test it before you even pick it up. Other than that it's really just mounting the motherboard to the case and plugging components in and providing power.. with todays cases cable management is pretty easy too.

I just built a machine for the first time in 10 years and it was a pretty easy/enjoyable experience.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #1858
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
PsYcNeT covered everything, but just wanted to add that if you're already familiar with swapping out components, you can build a PC from scratch. Follow the motherboard manual, watch a few YouTube videos if you need to double check a step and you're good to go.

If you buy components from a place like Memory Express, they'll mount your CPU to the motherboard to test it before you even pick it up. Other than that it's really just mounting the motherboard to the case and plugging components in and providing power.. with todays cases cable management is pretty easy too.

I just built a machine for the first time in 10 years and it was a pretty easy/enjoyable experience.
How much did you spend on it? My big thing is upgradeability. I have a Acer laptop from four years ago but I've already maxed out the RAM to 32GB and I'm unable to upgrade the CPU. I was looking at some of these and they seem way cheaper than what I'd be able to build myself by buying the components individually.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...Z1mcVOkB3gM%3d
Old 01-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #1859
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How much did you spend on it? My big thing is upgradeability. I have a Acer laptop from four years ago but I've already maxed out the RAM to 32GB and I'm unable to upgrade the CPU. I was looking at some of these and they seem way cheaper than what I'd be able to build myself by buying the components individually.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...Z1mcVOkB3gM%3d
If your biggest thing is upgradability then those are not right for you. PsYcNeT mentioned in his post about the use of proprietary parts in those types of machines that make it difficult to upgrade/replace.

Yes those are cheaper but that's because 1) they're refurbs and 2) they cheap out on certain parts to bring costs down.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #1860
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
If your biggest thing is upgradability then those are not right for you. PsYcNeT mentioned in his post about the use of proprietary parts in those types of machines that make it difficult to upgrade/replace.

Yes those are cheaper but that's because 1) they're refurbs and 2) they cheap out on certain parts to bring costs down.
Cost isn't a huge issue for me, but what would a reasonable cost be to get something decent that would have the ability to be upgraded down the line? $2000? $3000?