Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #301
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

They basically have to let Messi walk for free to get the cash relief from not paying his gargantuan salary. Just staggering mismanagement.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #302
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They basically have to let Messi walk for free to get the cash relief from not paying his gargantuan salary. Just staggering mismanagement.
Well....the problem is that they set his buyout clause insanely high. So nobody can buy him, so he has to walk for free. And in the meantime his wages are astronomical.

Whoever thought this was a good idea is a certifiable idiot.

They should have at least made Messi's buyout clause reasonable because hes 33 and some idiot with deep pockets would buy him.

Now you're going to let one of the most valuable players on the face of the Earth walk away for nothing and you're going to beg him to do it because you cant afford for him to stay.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #303
cheevers
Scoring Winger
 
cheevers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well....the problem is that they set his buyout clause insanely high. So nobody can buy him, so he has to walk for free. And in the meantime his wages are astronomical.

Whoever thought this was a good idea is a certifiable idiot.

They should have at least made Messi's buyout clause reasonable because hes 33 and some idiot with deep pockets would buy him.

Now you're going to let one of the most valuable players on the face of the Earth walk away for nothing and you're going to beg him to do it because you cant afford for him to stay.
I could be wrong about this, but the buyout clause only means that if someone hits that number they have to allow them to negotiate with him. I believe clubs can bid less than that and Barcelona has the option to accept it still.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #304
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well....the problem is that they set his buyout clause insanely high. So nobody can buy him, so he has to walk for free. And in the meantime his wages are astronomical.

Whoever thought this was a good idea is a certifiable idiot.

They should have at least made Messi's buyout clause reasonable because hes 33 and some idiot with deep pockets would buy him.

Now you're going to let one of the most valuable players on the face of the Earth walk away for nothing and you're going to beg him to do it because you cant afford for him to stay.
A buyout clause isn't a purchase floor, it's legally required in Spain and they're set high to force a negotiation. They used to be normal amounts until PSG triggered Neymar's.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isnít 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #305
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And the thing is, its hard to even blame COVID. Sure, its not helping by keeping fans out of the stands, but these clubs make unthinkable money on TV deals, sponsorships, etc.

Its just terrible management.

I wouldnt be surprised if, on an annual basis Barcelona makes more on their TV revenue than the entire NHL.
Covid really has exposed how tightly some of those clubs are calculating. They are reliant on steady cashflow and they just have no reserves at all. So if all of a sudden the money stops coming in, they are in a lot of trouble fast ... and of course those who have already worked badly will go belly up first. Just look at Germany, where Schalke is drowning both on and off the pitch. It's amazing just how quickly the wheels can fall off.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #306
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Covid really has exposed how tightly some of those clubs are calculating. They are reliant on steady cashflow and they just have no reserves at all. So if all of a sudden the money stops coming in, they are in a lot of trouble fast ... and of course those who have already worked badly will go belly up first. Just look at Germany, where Schalke is drowning both on and off the pitch. It's amazing just how quickly the wheels can fall off.
Frankly, and I know that you loathe my club of choice, but I am so happy as a Liverpool fan at the moment.

We went through this BS with Hicks and Gillette. FSG seem like a well-run organization that know what they're doing. We've got a decent team with some excellent exploits recently and there seems to be no dire financial concerns.

Steady on.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #307
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Dana needs to get these two to Fight Island

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354166676128997383
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #308
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

clearly says "go do your voodoo ####, you little donkey". Oh boy ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:24 AM   #309
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Messis last contract has been leaked in Spanish media. Both Messi and Barcelona want to sue the newspaper for leaking the contract details, but don't seem to deny the validity of the numbers reported.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1355679184086036486

Dear god.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #310
The Familia
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: CALGARY!
Exp:
Default

Over $800 million Canadian to kick a ball....not much to say other than Barcelona can go bankrupt.
__________________
Stanley Cup - 1989
Clarence Campbell Trophy - 1986, 1989, 2004
Presidents Trophy - 1988, 1989
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:00 AM   #311
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

The Messi contract is not why they are a financial debacle right now. Coutinho, Griezmann, Dembele etc.. are far worse blunders. It's an obscene contract, but he's probably worth it in terms of the total revenue generation. Feels like they know he's on his way out and are leaking this to make him look like the villain in their financial mess.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #312
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

pretty weird strategy though. Sure, Messi will now look even greedier in the eyes of many people, but this doesn't improve their own image at all. Their decision to hand out such a ludicrous contract will be called out, there's going to be a lot of Schadenfreude about their situation and everybody knows they are leaking this themselves, which is a dick move in its own right. Making Messi the villain is one thing, but leaking this whale of a contract doesn't exactly look like a good PR decision, to put it mildly.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #313
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
pretty weird strategy though. Sure, Messi will now look even greedier in the eyes of many people, but this doesn't improve their own image at all. Their decision to hand out such a ludicrous contract will be called out, there's going to be a lot of Schadenfreude about their situation and everybody knows they are leaking this themselves, which is a dick move in its own right. Making Messi the villain is one thing, but leaking this whale of a contract doesn't exactly look like a good PR decision, to put it mildly.
I have to agree. While Barca are struggling financially now all people have to do is point to this contract and say:

"Its your own fault."
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #314
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Strange going ons at Marseille.

Villas-Boas offers his resignation over their transfer policy and the signing of players that he doesn't want.

Marseille responds by suspending him?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55905232
__________________


Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:17 PM   #315
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Neymar will miss the next few weeks with a condition of his sister's birthday

7 straight years!
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #316
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Strange going ons at Marseille.

Villas-Boas offers his resignation over their transfer policy and the signing of players that he doesn't want.

Marseille responds by suspending him?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55905232
Just a disaster. Club buying a player they manager diesnt want then won't let him resign. Payet and Thauvin fighting. Fans rioting leading to a postponed game. Sampaoli is rumored next. Saudis want to buy the team but McCourt won't sell. And they're 9th in the table.

Marseille's always been drama, cant get anywhere.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #317
Swift
Not Taylor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Floating down the Liffey
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Neymar will miss the next few weeks with a condition of his sister's birthday

7 straight years!
LOL, had to google this to see what you meant. I didn't realise this was a thing!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #318
cam_wmh
Franchise Player
 
cam_wmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Sounds like, Upemecano going is to Bayern. Kinda bummed, wanted him at United.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #319
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Gladbach coach Marco Rose will take over at Dortmund in the summer. Interesting to see how he does there - he did really well at Salzburg and now Gladbach, but Dortmund is a big challenge for sure.

also have to wonder if he takes over a CL or EL club then. Dortmund is only 6th right now and already 6 points behind 4th.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #320
cam_wmh
Franchise Player
 
cam_wmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Gladbach coach Marco Rose will take over at Dortmund in the summer. Interesting to see how he does there - he did really well at Salzburg and now Gladbach, but Dortmund is a big challenge for sure.

also have to wonder if he takes over a CL or EL club then. Dortmund is only 6th right now and already 6 points behind 4th.
I see the other Red Bull club, is is trying to make winning the Bundesliga, not a Bayern joke.

Have you watched much of them? I mean outside of watching them eliminate United, I didn't see a singular scoring threat -- and the stats support that story -- scoring by committee, nobody with more than 4.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021