Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #1561
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Navitimer with the slide rule for a bezel, it works and is really cool, but with the technology we all have in our phones, tablets, etc, it's really just a conversation starter.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #1562
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm rethinking my watch purchase. Basically, these spinning bezels are just huge decorations on top of what is really already a decoration. I don't know if my eyes are quite seeing the aesthetic you all are appreciating with them. Up until yesterday, I had assumed a spinning bezel did something more useful...not sure what, but it takes up a ton of real estate on a watch for kind of a useless function IMO.

If I can get past the bezel thing (will probably help if I see one of these in person), this is the watch I like:
https://www.bezelhouse.com/products/...32069688164413

I wear a suit zero times per year and don't wear much more than a hoodie 99% of the time, so a more formal watch would be wasted on me.
I have one of these brand new for sale.... SRPB55J1. Far superior watch. Known in Seiko circles as the 'Darth Samurai'.

It's ISO dive rated. Incredibly comfy band, and it's more of a serious watch. Those new gen Seiko 5's are kinda more in the realm of fashion watch. They look ok, but they aren't a true diver.

PM me if you are interested. I only want $350 for it.

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/prospex--id17904789.htm

Last edited by pylon; 01-06-2021 at 03:13 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #1563
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm rethinking my watch purchase. Basically, these spinning bezels are just huge decorations on top of what is really already a decoration. I don't know if my eyes are quite seeing the aesthetic you all are appreciating with them. Up until yesterday, I had assumed a spinning bezel did something more useful...not sure what, but it takes up a ton of real estate on a watch for kind of a useless function IMO.

If I can get past the bezel thing (will probably help if I see one of these in person), this is the watch I like:
https://www.bezelhouse.com/products/...32069688164413

I wear a suit zero times per year and don't wear much more than a hoodie 99% of the time, so a more formal watch would be wasted on me.
Most watches have functions 99% of people will never use, whether a diver, pilot, navigation, racing watch etc.

Just get what you like.
If there's functionality you won't use but you love the look of the watch, who cares.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #1564
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Agreed. I love chronos but never use them. Ever.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #1565
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I just bought my first Rolex
Datejust 41, Steel & Everose gold Jubilee, Fluted Bezel, Chocolate Dial.
Absolutely love it.
Wasn't planning the chocolate dial at first, but it looks great in person and with the rose gold.

Image isn't mine but exact same configuration.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #1566
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Well, I just bought my first Rolex
Datejust 41, Steel & Everose gold Jubilee, Fluted Bezel, Chocolate Dial.
Absolutely love it.
Wasn't planning the chocolate dial at first, but it looks great in person and with the rose gold.

Image isn't mine but exact same configuration.

Beautiful watch!

Nothing like the snap on the wrist.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #1567
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I have one of these brand new for sale.... SRPB55J1. Far superior watch. Known in Seiko circles as the 'Darth Samurai'.

It's ISO dive rated. Incredibly comfy band, and it's more of a serious watch. Those new gen Seiko 5's are kinda more in the realm of fashion watch. They look ok, but they aren't a true diver.

PM me if you are interested. I only want $350 for it.

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/prospex--id17904789.htm
Thanks man. I think I like the look of the less expensive one more, though. I get that yours is a superior watch, but it's just not quite the look I'm into.

Deepest I'll ever dive is probably five feet so a true diver isn't necessary for me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #1568
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks man. I think I like the look of the less expensive one more, though. I get that yours is a superior watch, but it's just not quite the look I'm into.

Deepest I'll ever dive is probably five feet so a true diver isn't necessary for me.
You know how they list top speeds for cars? It's basically something similar with watches. You'll never push its potential, but it's always nice to know it has that potential.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #1569
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
You know how they list top speeds for cars? It's basically something similar with watches. You'll never push its potential, but it's always nice to know it has that potential.
It's also important to know that value to ensure that a watch can survive washing your hands, or swimming in a pool.

I have a Speedmaster 3572.50, rated for 30 metres. 30 metres water resistance may sound like a lot, but I'd barely qualify that as splashproof, and you sure as hell wouldn't go swimming with a watch rated for that. 100 metres is considered the minimum in most cases to swim with a watch on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #1570
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

lol, how often do you guys swim? I go maybe five times during just two months of the year. Hardly a consideration for me. I generally don't get my watch wet when I wash my hands, either. I wash my wrists in the shower and that's it.

Not crapping on your hobby and the max speed analogy speaks to me as a car guy, but I don't think I'll ever be as into this as a real watch guy. Whoever described that watch I like as a loaded Honda Accord nailed it - that's all I'm after for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #1571
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also picked up a Triple Tree winder box from Amazon yesterday for $340.
It winds 4 autos and holds 6 more watches (no motion).

Looks awesome and seems really well built for the price. I'm very happy with it so far.
Thought I'd mention incase anyone has been considering a winder box.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #1572
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol, how often do you guys swim? I go maybe five times during just two months of the year. Hardly a consideration for me. I generally don't get my watch wet when I wash my hands, either. I wash my wrists in the shower and that's it.

Not crapping on your hobby and the max speed analogy speaks to me as a car guy, but I don't think I'll ever be as into this as a real watch guy. Whoever described that watch I like as a loaded Honda Accord nailed it - that's all I'm after for now.
Rarely. But it's not like I don't ever use that feature. I actually end up using it a lot, but that's just me.

I always love wearing my divers into the hot tub to keep track of time (ie: no phone to keep time or the wall clocks are too far away). I'll use the bezel to track when I hopped in as well. Sometimes, concerned citizens will let me know that I forgot to take off my watch so I don't damage it... it makes for a good conversation starter. It's also convenient to not bother taking off the watch to take a shower after a soak. However, this also means that you won't be keeping the watch looking like the day you got it. It'll have wear and tear patina on it for sure.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a non diver watch in a hot tub due to the heat. Without a screw down crown, I'd be concerned of water getting in.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #1573
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How often do you watch your hands? Because some of them aren't even splashproof which is what I'm getting at. But our friends have a pool in their backyard and we generally spent every other weekend there, so my water-tight pieces got a lot of wrist time.

As for showering with a watch on like DoubleF mentioned, I generally don't recommend it anyway -- even with a screwdown crown -- out of concern for the expanding and contracting of the seals in the watch, and potential for condensation to get in.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #1574
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Rarely. But it's not like I don't ever use that feature. I actually end up using it a lot, but that's just me.

I always love wearing my divers into the hot tub to keep track of time (ie: no phone to keep time or the wall clocks are too far away). I'll use the bezel to track when I hopped in as well. Sometimes, concerned citizens will let me know that I forgot to take off my watch so I don't damage it... it makes for a good conversation starter. It's also convenient to not bother taking off the watch to take a shower after a soak. However, this also means that you won't be keeping the watch looking like the day you got it. It'll have wear and tear patina on it for sure.

I wouldn't be comfortable with a non diver watch in a hot tub due to the heat. Without a screw down crown, I'd be concerned of water getting in.
Fair enough. I could get by just fine with a Toyota Corolla for what I do considering I don't live near the Autobahn, but drive a better car because I want to.

Also, my watch just went on sale at The Bay for $297...going to swing by tonight and grab it. It'll be either one of the last watches I ever buy myself or the start of becoming a watch guy like you weirdos.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #1575
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
How often do you watch your hands? Because some of them aren't even splashproof which is what I'm getting at. But our friends have a pool in their backyard and we generally spent every other weekend there, so my water-tight pieces got a lot of wrist time.

As for showering with a watch on like DoubleF mentioned, I generally don't recommend it anyway -- even with a screwdown crown -- out of concern for the expanding and contracting of the seals in the watch, and potential for condensation to get in.
Yeah, I know it's not supposed to be done, but it's an Orient Mako/SKX 009 pepsi diver I'm doing this to, nothing opulent. While others may treasure a watch of that calibre, I guess I'm one of those jerks who thinks it's a perfect daily driver/beater.

Quote:
Fair enough. I could get by just fine with a Toyota Corolla for what I do considering I don't live near the Autobahn, but drive a better car because I want to.

Also, my watch just went on sale at The Bay for $297...going to swing by tonight and grab it. It'll be either one of the last watches I ever buy myself or the start of becoming a watch guy like you weirdos.
Nice! I hope you like it!
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #1576
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

FWIW, I picked up a Seiko 5 watch last year.

My ride: a Honda Odyssey
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #1577
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone bought a watch on Ebay before?
I don't use Ebay at all, is it trustworthy?
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #1578
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Anyone bought a watch on Ebay before?
I don't use Ebay at all, is it trustworthy?
Watches less then 200 try eBay. If not hit up the speciality forums. Tissot is a great value brand for getting into a watch with great mechanisms. I also think Gems by Carati who supports this website is into it.

www.rolexforums.com

is a great watch enthusiast website. They'd love to see your watch!
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #1579
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lately it's a galaxy watch for speed on the bike. I also have been wearing a garmin sapphire 6 for mtbing out here I B.C. Glad I did I buffed it on a road gap and it kept ticking. Didnt have enough high end compression with to little rebound and it bucked me on the landing like a new bronco out the gate for the first time. Watch glass didn't have a single scratch where everything else I used died.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #1580
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'll put in a plug for Omega service. I have a Speedmaster, and in keeping with the title of this thread I wear it. Every day, it is the only watch I have. So it got a little beat up. Couple of scratches in the hessalite crystal, marks on the closure, generally a little scruffy looking.

A few months back I took the kids to the WEM waterpark, and like an idiot forgot to lock my watch in the car. I didn't trust the lockers, so I kept my watch on.

Like I said, like an idiot.

Long story short, my Speedy stopped working. So I took it in and had it sent off to Omega for service. It wasn't cheap, stupidity tax rarely is, but man am I happy with the result. Yes, the watch works like a charm now. But as an added bonus it looks amazing! The crystal is replaced, the marks on the band and closure smoothed away. It's like having a new watch.

One year warranty to boot.

So not something I would want to do very often, but it is nice to know I have the option of getting it back to almost new if need be.
The discussion of "splash-proof" brings back memories of this post I made back in 2012.

Winsor_Pilates - that is a gorgeous Rolex.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post: