Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 AM   #41
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I've been thinking to try Oura.
As someone who likes wearing actual watches, I only wear Samsung Gear watch for golfing. A non watch for tracking would suite me better.
I’ve got the Oura. What do you want to know?
Old 01-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #42
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is anyone aware of a wrist tracker that isn't a watch? I like to wear actual watches and a second watch on the right wrist seems ridiculous. The Whoop is cool and exactly the concept I'm after but I'm not paying $30USD/month for it.

Seems like the Fitbit Flex 2 is exactly what I want but they discontinued it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #43
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-30-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #44
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve had my Fitbit Aspire for a few months and suddenly some text messages are also going to my watch. I didn’t know it had that ability and it only started a few days ago. Anyone know about this?
I turned it on with my InspireHR and it was... neat? It killed battery life though so I disabled it after a week. I charge mine every 5-8 days, depending on how often I sync to the app. With texts I was charging every other day.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #45
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I’ve got the Oura. What do you want to know?
-How is the fit and feel of it as a ring? It looks like it might be a little thick, any issues there?

-Do you miss having a screen when comparing it to fitness watches?

-If you wear it when lifting weights, do you find that annoying or damaging (scratching) to the ring?
I usually take my wedding ring off when lifting so not sure if I'd be able to utilize this while lifting.

Thanks
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #46
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just got a fitbit sense. I’m loving all the features. There is a ton of stats about your health. Some of the stuff you have to dig a bit for which is a little annoying. Like your blood oxygen levels you have to click the feature to get it.

Sleep stats are top notch as with all fitbit devices. Hrv stats, body temperature, heart rates etc

Another hidden gem is when you walk, run or hike it shows you a map of where you were and your speed and heart rate at each point along the map in different line colors. Red means your heart rate was really high at that point on the map.

The only bummer is the ecg heart monitor is not approved by health canada quite yet but it is for the apple watch. The ecg on fitbit is approved everywhere else in the world. Not sure what the hold up is.

With google buying fitbit i’m looking forward to what’s to come.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #47
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I just got a fitbit sense. I’m loving all the features. There is a ton of stats about your health. Some of the stuff you have to dig a bit for which is a little annoying. Like your blood oxygen levels you have to click the feature to get it.

Sleep stats are top notch as with all fitbit devices. Hrv stats, body temperature, heart rates etc

Another hidden gem is when you walk, run or hike it shows you a map of where you were and your speed and heart rate at each point along the map in different line colors. Red means your heart rate was really high at that point on the map.

The only bummer is the ecg heart monitor is not approved by health canada quite yet but it is for the apple watch. The ecg on fitbit is approved everywhere else in the world. Not sure what the hold up is.

With google buying fitbit i’m looking forward to what’s to come.
I like all these features, I just wish it didnt have to be in a watch format. I already have a watch!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #48
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I like all these features, I just wish it didnt have to be in a watch format. I already have a watch!
On the other hand ......... i always wondered what the appeal was in wearing a watch that just tells time.

Your phone tells you the time.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #49
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
On the other hand ......... i always wondered what the appeal was in wearing a watch that just tells time.

Your phone tells you the time.
I meant I have a smart watch.

The fitbit watches are ugly AF. I am no fashion queen, bit those watches are pretty ugly to look at.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #50
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone that wants a pretty basic tracker the Telus stores have the Fitbit Charge 3 on clearance right now for $110. I really don't know much about fitness trackers but I think that $110 is a good deal for the Charge 3. Market Mall Telus store has about a dozen left in white, black and grey.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #51
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I meant I have a smart watch.

The fitbit watches are ugly AF. I am no fashion queen, bit those watches are pretty ugly to look at.
I think it depends what you’re looking for. Better fitness tracking or a nicer looking watch.

The newest apple and fitbit watches both look the same and have tons of health data. Garmin looks more like an actual watch but has less data and functions and i found it heavier.

Oura ring looks good but would like to see how comfortable it is.

Whoop strap isn’t the prettiest but has great workout data and a high monthly subscription.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #52
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a progress trail of Garmin fitness watcher, going from the cheap step counter models up to the Vivosomething HR+ trackers.

Ultimately I went Apple Watch as it just seemed capable of so much more - swim tracking, golf, etc. That coincides of course, with my switching to an iPhone but honestly it's been much better experience. Android truly does lack a good integrated smart watch.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #53
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Ordered up the Whoop strap almost 2 weeks ago, they still haven't shipped it.

Kinda starting to think this might be a mistake if this is how poorly they manage their customers!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #54
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ordered up the Whoop strap almost 2 weeks ago, they still haven't shipped it.

Kinda starting to think this might be a mistake if this is how poorly they manage their customers!
Seriously? I ordered mine (with the code from you!) and I've been using it for about a week now. It must be some mistake, because they've been really good so far. I would reach out to them and see what's happening because mine shipped quickly and I was actually surprised at how fast it made it.

I thought that when I saw your name pop up here as the last poster you'd be raving about how much you like it and it would corroborate my thoughts!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #55
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Seriously? I ordered mine (with the code from you!) and I've been using it for about a week now. It must be some mistake, because they've been really good so far. I would reach out to them and see what's happening because mine shipped quickly and I was actually surprised at how fast it made it.

I thought that when I saw your name pop up here as the last poster you'd be raving about how much you like it and it would corroborate my thoughts!
I am super excited for it!

I have been being very patient with them, they told me it would finally ship monday and we are on wednesday now with no shipping notification.

(I also haven't received any indication that you signed up with my code!).

Just a weird interaction with them thus far!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #56
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am super excited for it!

I have been being very patient with them, they told me it would finally ship monday and we are on wednesday now with no shipping notification.

(I also haven't received any indication that you signed up with my code!).

Just a weird interaction with them thus far!
Mine shipped from Mexico and I think it was there Sunday. Then it was in South Dakota and said it would be here by the end of the next day. I thought there was no way, but it showed up. I got it last Tuesday I think, which was basically next day shipping (I think that my order was Friday evening, so I kind of give them the weekend, because nothing really happens at that point).
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #57
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Mine shipped from Mexico and I think it was there Sunday. Then it was in South Dakota and said it would be here by the end of the next day. I thought there was no way, but it showed up. I got it last Tuesday I think, which was basically next day shipping (I think that my order was Friday evening, so I kind of give them the weekend, because nothing really happens at that point).
They just sent me a link, its in Kentucky now.

I also asked them to check the account and see if that referal code registered for you!

Thanks for that. Can't wait to get it!

PS. I think I saw Valimaki wearing one the other night when he was on the bench getting his arm looked at after blocking a Shea Weber shot in the 2-0 game.

Neat!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They just sent me a link, its in Kentucky now.

I also asked them to check the account and see if that referal code registered for you!

Thanks for that. Can't wait to get it!

PS. I think I saw Valimaki wearing one the other night when he was on the bench getting his arm looked at after blocking a Shea Weber shot in the 2-0 game.

Neat!
You should definitely check that because you get a free month. I'd grind them for more because they've taken so long.

It's pretty cool. The best thing (and there are a lot of good things), is how long it lasts on a charge, and that you don't have to take it off to charge.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #59
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You should definitely check that because you get a free month. I'd grind them for more because they've taken so long.

It's pretty cool. The best thing (and there are a lot of good things), is how long it lasts on a charge, and that you don't have to take it off to charge.
Can i ask what features you’re liking most about the whoop strap? A mini review if possible?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:46 PM   #60
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can i ask what features you’re liking most about the whoop strap? A mini review if possible?
Well bearing in mind, I've really only had this for about a week now. But the sleep aspect is really good, both in terms of the tracking and the metrics as far as recovery. I do like that for sure.

I also find that the strain is interesting, and it's just a bit different than other devices. It doesn't measure steps or standing or anything like that. Instead as you do things throughout the day, it figures out how much strain you have put on your body. Then it gives you a goal, after which it says that you're adding to your fitness. It gives you an optimal strain, and bases things off that. It intertwines that with the recovery, which basically depends on how long and the quality of your sleep. I really do like that.

The two things that I also like that I was sure that I would not are the groups and the "journal". The journal is something that you get prompted to do every morning, and it basically tracks whatever you want to track. The list for options there is enormous, and I'm partly just curious to see the correlation between sleep/exercise and some of the things that I'm tracking there (caffeine, for example). The groups are basically endless and I just joined some for pure interest. The groups track differing things and you can see where you rank. I like that because I'm a competitive person and I will try to "win" for sure. I had the lead one day in Calgary, but other people are super active. The Crossfit group has people doing insane things (the leader today has burned 7,910 calories...and I'm basically 13,000th!)

It's not perfect though. For me (iPhone), I have to keep the app open to keep it updating. If you close your apps regularly, (which I do), this can be a bit of an issue. It runs in the background, so it's not a big deal. And if you do close it you'll get a reminder to open it up and update at about the 3 hour mark. And the one other thing is the activity tracking. It senses activity when you are working out, but it doesn't seem to know what you're doing, so you have to open the activity and pick what you did. It's not the biggest issue, because my Apple Watch can't seem to figure out that I'm working out unless I specifically start a workout (one day I did a full F45 class where I normally burn 500-600 calories and forgot to start it, so the watch had me at like 150-200, which is a little questionable!).

Overall, I think it's really good. You can get a lot of data, and if you're interested in that kind of thing it's a great tracker. It takes 30 days for it to be fully calibrated, so I still have a few weeks to get to that point. I don't know if there are specifics that you want to know, or anything like that, but ask away and I'll do my best to answer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: