Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #2001
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of giving Rodgers the Seahawks or Patriots roster, Aaron apparently should be released now and free to choose his own team. Come on NFL, make it happen, would be the craziest FA pursuit ever.

Quote:
Multiple teams complained to the NFL last week that the Packers violated the rules regarding players who are eligible to be placed on injured reserve -- and that Green Bay should have to release quarterback Aaron Rodgers as a result, league sources told ESPN.

NFL rules stipulate that a player needs to have suffered a new injury that would sideline him at least six weeks to be placed on injured reserve. If that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player once he is healthy.

Rodgers was activated off injured reserve and played last Sunday against the Carolina Panthers but came out of the game because he was "sore," according to Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

But Green Bay did not announce its decision to place Rodgers back on injured reserve until Tuesday, after the Packers had been eliminated from a potential postseason spot.

Had the Atlanta Falcons lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday night, keeping alive Green Bay's playoff chances, it's possible Rodgers could have played Saturday night against the Minnesota Vikings. But the Packers opted to shut him down, which teams complained was a violation of NFL rules.

It is not believed that Rodgers suffered any type of new injury against the Panthers. If Rodgers didn't suffer a new injury but was placed back on injured reserve anyway, NFL rules stipulate that the Packers would have to release him -- which nobody expects will happen. It is why multiple teams raised the issue. Teams wanted to know why the Packers were being granted immunity.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...dgers-released
Old 12-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #2002
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Speaking of giving Rodgers the Seahawks or Patriots roster, Aaron apparently should be released now and free to choose his own team. Come on NFL, make it happen, would be the craziest FA pursuit ever.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...dgers-released
He would simply re-sign with the Packers.

It is never going to happen anyway.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #2003
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well I would say in the last nine years the Steelers, Broncos and Seahawks are all unquestionably more successful than the Packers. All have won the Super Bowl and made another Super Bowl. Teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Ravens and Saints can also surpass the Packers this year with a SB win or appearance, assuming the measure of success is making the championship game (which it is...). The Packers obviously have only the one appearance, so pretty much impossible to say they rank only behind the Patriots in terms of success. They have a much better claim to being the most disappointing team in the last nine years than being the most successful.

They are basically the Peyton Colts, a legendary QB carrying a roster that might be one of the 5-10 worst rosters in the league. Like LeBron you could basically give him the MVP every year the last 6-7 years and no one could complain, the Packers would be in the #1 pick race most of those years without him, not the team everyone wants to avoid in the playoffs. Just imagine what the last nine years would be for Rodgers if you gave him the Seahawks or Patriots roster. Three Super Bowls might be the minimum amount of wins.
Yeah......no.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #2004
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah...most definitely. If you think one SB appearance and one win is more successful than two SB appearances and a win, then that says a lot about how you quantify success. And pretty much explains why you wanna hold on to the 10-6 version of Jeff Fisher. And actually why would Rodgers definitely stay? On open market, with some of the cap space teams have, he could easily get a 3 year, $120 million deal. And since the Packers roster is poor, why not make more money to play on a better team? Seems a no brainer really.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 12-24-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #2005
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Lol
Old 12-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #2006
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

great rebuttal.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #2007
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

There is nothing to rebutt.

He isnt getting released and why wouldn't he re-sign with the Packers at any rate? They are one of the teams that's going to have a whack of cap space.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2018/

It's a non-issue.

But more than anything I laughed at the dig at McCarthy....he has some bizarre hate on for the guy who is now about to miss the playoffs for only the 3rd time in 12 seasons.

What a chump eh?
Old 12-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #2008
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why wouldn't he sign with the Jags instead? The Jags roster is significantly better than the Packers, and the AFC is much easier than than the NFC. The only reason he'd 100% sign back with the Packers is loyalty...loyalty in a league where Peyton Manning got cut once. We all know he's not going to be forced released anyway, but if he did he would be an idiot to not consider his options. I said the Jags, but him on the Jags and they become the automatic SB favorites next year. He returns to the Packers and you can't even call them the automatic favorites to win their own division.

As far as McCarthy goes, this is where your measure of success is different than mine. Making the playoffs isn't meaningless, but if that's your measure the Bengals are more successful than the 49ers the last nine years since they've made the playoffs more often (zero playoff wins though...). I don't think anyone would be making that argument. The Packers are not more successful than the Seahawks, Steelers or Broncos in the last nine years. If you feel otherwise, you value playoff appearances more than Super Bowl appearances. And that says it all really.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #2009
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Praying for a Christmas miracle that the Titans can upset the Rams and make the playoffs . Time to unleash Mariota have him throw 40 times today.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #2010
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Im interested to see how Tennessee responds as well. They have some really good pieces but simply haven't put it together.

The Falcons/Saints game should be a beauty...truly both teams need this game. Im curious if it turns into a shootout or if defense rules the day. I did gamble on the former, but nothing about the NFC South surprises me any longer.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #2011
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see Rodgers ever leaving the Packers and Transplant is Right, he would just resign with the Packers if that scenario played out.

Also it's laughable that the Packers are "second only to the Pats." Over any timeframe in he Rodgers era. The Seahawks and Broncos are easily more successful teams. Rodgers himself could he considered "2nd only to one Patriot", though
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #2012
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I can't see Rodgers ever leaving the Packers and Transplant is Right, he would just resign with the Packers if that scenario played out.

Also it's laughable that the Packers are "second only to the Pats." Over any timeframe in he Rodgers era. The Seahawks and Broncos are easily more successful teams. Rodgers himself could he considered "2nd only to one Patriot", though
Since Rodgers took over in 2008

the Broncos have made the playoffs 5 times

the Seahawks 6 times

the Packers 8 times

All have won one SB.

But OK.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #2013
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf Mariota awful throw
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #2014
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Since Rodgers took over in 2008

the Broncos have made the playoffs 5 times

the Seahawks 6 times

the Packers 8 times

All have won one SB.

But OK.
But making the Super Bowl matters more than making the playoffs. Making the playoffs and doing nothing with it doesn't matter. Especially not when you have a QB of Aaron Rodgers level. It's not like we're saying the Packers are crap, just that they aren't the unquestioned second most successful team after the Patriots in that time frame. With how exceptional Rodgers has been, only one Super Bowl can be argued just as much as a disappointment as it is an unquestioned success.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #2015
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest Saints game in 5 years, and right when the Saints opening drive was starting, DAZN crapped out and lost all football games, and stayed that way for close to 20min. Finally gave up and had to cruise over to my buddy's to watch it (we have Telus, they're not carrying Saints/Falcons anywhere). Missed the entire first Q.

DAZN, you just lost my business forever going forward. Just a disgrace how bad they've been this year. NFL, never force this on us again, or you may lose me as a fan if you're not careful. Unbelievable

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #2016
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mariota looks good today. Too bad he couldn't show up a bit more consistently. Playoffs looks like a tough get today
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #2017
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Lol Isaiah McKenzie might be the dumbest player the Broncos have ever drafted. He needs to go full Costanza and never do what he thinks he should.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #2018
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a catch by Benjamin.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #2019
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or not. That one was even clearer than the one last week.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #2020
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titans going no huddle and having success moving the ball.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote