Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Frolik's Future with Flames?

I was wondering what everyone thought the future holds for Frolik?

An elite PKer in the past, signed for this year and next after a couple of solid seasons mixed in with an injury riddled disappointing year last year.

So far he has mostly been the 11th most used forward followed by Peluso.

Treliving will likely need to move some money off the roster before the start of next season in order to fit everyone in, most notably Tkachuk who is due for a massive raise.

Common sense would dictate Frolik would be the piece moved out due to a few logical reasons:

- His role has massively diminished in less than a years time as he went from the #6 forward, top PK unit, 2ndary PP guy to 4th line PK guy.

- We now have Lindholm, Dube, Ryan and Czarnik as new guys that are all capable of playing on the PK with Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski to the point where Frolik isn't as integral to its success.

- We have Mangiapane and Foo on the farm who are close to being ready as well as Jankowski, a 17 goal scorer in his rookie campaign, sitting most nights due to the depth and early tendancy to dress a fighter in Peluso.

- Frolik's $4.3m off the books would go a long way to allowing the team to re-sign Tkachuk, Bennett and a starting goalie.

- The only other viable option would be Stone and as we can see to start this season defensive depth is important for when injuries inevitably strike. We still don't know how far away Kylington is. I think he will be a gamer but he is still really young and may need more time to develop.

In my opinion moving Frolik at some point before the end of his contract seems highly likely. And unless Trelving has some master plan we are all unaware of one would think Frolik or Stone needs to go to make room to sign more important pieces.

As such, when does everyone forsee Frolik being traded?

..Or do you see some other way he stays and we can fit everyone in come next season?
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I see Frolik dealt after the season for a second-rounder, with Mangiapane, Foo, or Klimchuk taking his spot in 2019-20. I think Stone will be moved as well.

Here's what I see for 2019-20:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - new C (Duchene?) - Czarnik
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Mangiapane/Foo/Klimchuk
Extras

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Extra

New Goalie (Varlamov?)
Gillies/Rittich

Frolik was a pretty good FA signing by Treliving. I think that'd be a pretty successful four-year Flames career for him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one is giving us a 2nd round pick for Frolik.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I think they might. Curtis Glencross, largely at the same place in his career with similar production, returned a second and a third -- and Frolik is much better defensively.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think a move of Frolik or Stone (or maybe both) happen in the summer ... guessing it would be easier to move Stone (less money, position)

He's not being used, but the guy does a heck of a job keeping the 4th line out of trouble which has value. Night in night out and literally nothing happens when he's on the ice. That sounds bad but given his role it's actually very very good.

A few less stick in feet penalties would help though.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Still think he has value this season. In the offseason, his contract will become too high to keep him with the salary cap and re-upping younger guys.

I don't pay his salary so I don't really care if he isn't a 4.3mill guy this year, just be good defensively when asked. Consider him like Matt Cullen was for Pittsburg (albeit not as a centre)
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Particularly with another year on his contract.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think a move of Frolik or Stone (or maybe both) happen in the summer ... guessing it would be easier to move Stone (less money, position)

He's not being used, but the guy does a heck of a job keeping the 4th line out of trouble which has value. Night in night out and literally nothing happens when he's on the ice. That sounds bad but given his role it's actually very very good.

A few less stick in feet penalties would help though.
If the flames can dump stone and frolik with no salary retained in the off-season, they'll be in on Bobrovsky
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely looks like he's lost a step and some hand speed since last year in spite of his incredible fitness level. He's probably most suited to a 4th line checking role at this time.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Particularly with another year on his contract.
I did say at the end of the season.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are not looking like contenders at the deadline I could see him being traded then. Solid vets are are often in demand for teams that expect to go deep. Doubt they would get a lot besides cap relief but who knows.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think they might. Curtis Glencross, largely at the same place in his career with similar production, returned a second and a third -- and Frolik is much better defensively.
Glencross had a much more physical game, which everyone at that point wanted for playoff runs. A non-scoring Frolik is pretty useless.

That being said, Frolik only has one more year at 3 mil in actual salary left. If Frolik can find a way to put up 30+ points this season, he should be easy to move to a non-cap team. If he puts up 40+ points, we might get that 2nd.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Glencross had a much more physical game, which everyone at that point wanted for playoff runs. A non-scoring Frolik is pretty useless.

That being said, Frolik only has one more year at 3 mil in actual salary left. If Frolik can find a way to put up 30+ points this season, he should be easy to move to a non-cap team. If he puts up 40+ points, we might get that 2nd.
The problem is non-cap teams likely aren't contending any time soon and would rather not trade for a veteran on the downswing of his career with a high cap hit. Cap teams can't afford him. He's not a bad guy to be playing on your 4th line so he likely has more value to us, than trying to retain salary just to move him. I think if things are tight in the off-season, he may be a potential buy-out candidate if Tkachuk is demanding $7M+ or gets offer sheeted.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #14
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we not jump the gun? I know it was just preseason but Frolik looked great beside Janko and Bennett. That line also had its share of chances in game 2.

He might struggle with Peluso but I think he can offset a lot of Jankowski's weak areas and vice versa. They are two complimentary players who just need time together.

As for him being on the 4th line, coach Q had him there five years ago. It's not new to him.

I too would like to lose his cap hit but that doesn't mean he is done as an NHLer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #15
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I see Frolik dealt after the season for a second-rounder, with Mangiapane, Foo, or Klimchuk taking his spot in 2019-20. I think Stone will be moved as well.

Here's what I see for 2019-20:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - new C (Duchene?) - Czarnik
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Mangiapane/Foo/Klimchuk
Extras

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Extra

New Goalie (Varlamov?)
Gillies/Rittich

Frolik was a pretty good FA signing by Treliving. I think that'd be a pretty successful four-year Flames career for him.
Who did you trade Jankowski for?
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #16
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's still useful even without providing offense. But I do agree that's a lot of money to have on the fourth line.

He looked like his regular old self before his injury last year so I'm willing to give it a bit more time, but I do see him traded next summer
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

4 games in to the season with several new players and a new coach. He is trying guys in different roles.

So far we had, after 2 games, guys firing Bennett in to the sun and saying he is not a NHLer
Now Neal with 1 g 1 a in 4 gp (expected pace, and just scored last game) is of concern because he looks slow. Smith is driving off the age cliff.

As deep as the Flames are, Dube right now is getting minutes but needs seasoning. Frolik is being called upon to PK with Backlund, and can play up the lineup

I think we have a few more games before things settle
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
Who did you trade Jankowski for?
Clearly Jankowski for Duchene, straight up. Even Steven.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He and Stone are going to need to be moved to sign a Tkachuk deal.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #20
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

We really see it differently.

To me Glencross was a notorious floater after he had his first 20g season.

Frolik is pretty much everything you wanted Glencross to be - secondary scoring, work ethic, very strong defensive play.

Frolic's career >>>>> Glencross

He had a bad year last season, so did many on the team. Having to play Mikal Frolik on the fourth line means we have massive depth.