Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Have you used a credit card concierge?

I found out today that my MasterCard comes with "concierge" service. I've never used this with any credit card I've owned, and wondered if anyone has used this service? If so, what did you use it for, and how did you find the results?

While the service is "free" I wonder what kind of markup they add to prices for things they help you find?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope - Straight ca$h homie.....
Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Nope - Straight ca$h homie.....
Well that was helpful.

I have it through my Visa Infinite card I've had since 2012, but I've never actually used the concierge before. I do use the other card benefits, mainly the travel perks.

For the damn yearly fee on the card, I should start taking advantage of it, but I do wonder about the practicality of trying to use a telephone concierge service in this day and age when car rentals, airline tickets, restaurant reservations and recommendations, etc. can generally be handled with a smartphone app.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I found out today that my MasterCard comes with "concierge" service. I've never used this with any credit card I've owned, and wondered if anyone has used this service? If so, what did you use it for, and how did you find the results?

While the service is "free" I wonder what kind of markup they add to prices for things they help you find?
I'm not sure about any markup, but that's a possibility. My immediate concern when I thought of using this type of service would be related to how much (i.e. zero) incentive there is for them to get you a decent price on something vs. just buying the first thing they see.

E.g. You call the concierge and ask them to send your wife some flowers - they call the first # they find and send the first bundle they see....or if you ask them to book you a hotel room on a short holiday - they have no reason to go scouring the local marketplace for the best deal (or the best room).
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well that was helpful.

I have it through my Visa Infinite card I've had since 2012, but I've never actually used the concierge before. I do use the other card benefits, mainly the travel perks.

For the damn yearly fee on the card, I should start taking advantage of it, but I do wonder about the practicality of trying to use a telephone concierge service in this day and age when car rentals, airline tickets, restaurant reservations and recommendations, etc. can generally be handled with a smartphone app.
Not to derail too much, but what are the travel perks for the Visa? I use it too, but didn't think there was much as far as travel goes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a few years old now, but this guy put the services to the test: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...-test-1433.php

Basically, it looks like you can usually get a better deal on things just finding them yourself, but if you're a busy person who doesn't have a paid assistant to do these sorts of things for you already, it can save you some time and hassle.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not to derail too much, but what are the travel perks for the Visa? I use it too, but didn't think there was much as far as travel goes.
Complimentary checked bag, priority boarding and priority check-in... although I'm Air Canada Elite 50k until March 2019, it'll be nice when my Elite status runs out -- I don't travel enough anymore at the new gig to maintain it (mercifully). They say it only applies to Aeroplan bookings, but I've found that not to be the case, as I was boarding Zone 2 and got my complimentary checked bag when I was only Air Canada Prestige 25k (which is the AC Status equivalent of a participant ribbon).

The discounts on Avis rentals, and the travel insurance gives me some peace of mind, too.

https://www.tdaeroplan.com/seethewor...7_TD_WINTER_EN

Just don't carry a balance, the purchase APR is 20%.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Complimentary checked bag, priority boarding and priority check-in... although I'm Air Canada Elite 50k until March 2019, it'll be nice when my Elite status runs out -- I don't travel enough anymore at the new gig to maintain it (mercifully). They say it only applies to Aeroplan bookings, but I've found that not to be the case, as I was boarding Zone 2 and got my complimentary checked bag when I was only Air Canada Prestige 25k (which is the AC Status equivalent of a participant ribbon).

The discounts on Avis rentals, and the travel insurance gives me some peace of mind, too.

https://www.tdaeroplan.com/seethewor...7_TD_WINTER_EN

Just don't carry a balance, the purchase APR is 20%.
Oh, that's a different Visa Infinite. I thought it was the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite. I only get hotel offers, but they're for the super expensive ones that I can't really afford even with the discounts.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Oh, that's a different Visa Infinite. I thought it was the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite. I only get hotel offers, but they're for the super expensive ones that I can't really afford even with the discounts.
I have the same card and recently looked at the hotels, I didn't notice a discount on the hotels at all, all were the same price (looking at the Fairmont in Lake Louise), you just get some "Visa Perks" when booking a hotel through them.

Quote:
Guests who use their Visa InfiniteŽ Privilege card to reserve and pay for their stay at a Hotel Collection property through www.visainfinite.ca/privilege will automatically enjoy the following seven exclusive benefits:

Best Available Rate Guarantee
Automatic room upgrade upon arrival, when available
3PM check-out, when available
Complimentary continental breakfast
Free in-room Internet
$25 food or beverage voucher
VIP Guest Status
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote