Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #2001
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Its been a while since I last travelled to the US. I got an email from Westjet indicating a few things like tablet cases need to be removed etc because of increased security procedures.

Am I allowed to bring an apple, orange or banana etc on board to eat during the flight or will they be confiscated?

I read something about if its clearly marked product of Canada or in commercial packaging then its ok.

Thanks,
YMMV, but I just got back from the USA on the weekend with my tablet and just had to put it in its own thing to go through the machine. Didn't have to take it out of the case.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #2002
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am I allowed to bring an apple, orange or banana etc on board to eat during the flight or will they be confiscated?

I read something about if its clearly marked product of Canada or in commercial packaging then its ok.

Thanks,

We've been hit and miss with fruit, even to the point where we had to go to the secondary screening area because we told them we had a couple of oranges for the flight. I'd just save yourself the hassle and buy any of that stuff at greatly inflated prices post customs/security.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #2003
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They may ask to have cases removed from tablets, but probably not. I’ve never been asked.

I rarely bring fruit, even though they tend to be pretty lenient, especially of crew. But it will still often get confiscated, after you go to secondary. It’s just not worth the PIA factor to me.

But whatever you do, make sure you claim it. If you don’t claim it and then they discover it, much bigger issues.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #2004
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its been a while since I last travelled to the US. I got an email from Westjet indicating a few things like tablet cases need to be removed etc because of increased security procedures.

Thanks,
Yes, they allow fruits but leave on the label as customs needs that to prove point of origin, at least that is what I was told.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #2005
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Pearson Terminal 3 is the worst. There's literally nowhere to eat unless you like Subway or Smashburger and definitely nowhere to sit down and eat and maybe enjoy a beverage (Fionn MacCools is brutal and those remote terminal bars are just awful).

And don't even get me started about gates B1-B5. I have no idea what's going on there, but to have to walk 10 minutes to an area that has zero places to eat and not even any washrooms?? I really expect more out of an airport in Canada's largest city.
I think Caplansky's deli in terminal 3 is great. Probably my favourite food option of any Canadian airport.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #2006
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I think Caplansky's deli in terminal 3 is great. Probably my favourite food option of any Canadian airport.
+1. I ate there recently and it was damn good.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #2007
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks,

I still don’t take my tablet out and haven’t had any issues. Didn’t know they now needed their own basket. This was international. However on a recent flight to Victoria (couple weeks back) they wanted tablets out.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:15 AM   #2008
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I still don’t take my tablet out and haven’t had any issues. Didn’t know they now needed their own basket. This was international. However on a recent flight to Victoria (couple weeks back) they wanted tablets out.
I just traveled back to Calgary stopping in Seattle.

They wanted everything out. Shoes in a certain place, laptops and any accessories and cables or cords, phones and chargers and cables, power stations, anything electronic.

It was a bloody zoo and took 2 hours and 45 minutes.

EDIT: Cameras and any chargers etc had to be taken out and shown as well.

Last edited by redforever; 10-29-2018 at 05:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #2009
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

They wanted everything out. Shoes in a certain place, laptops and any accessories and cables or cords, phones and chargers and cables, power stations, anything electronic.

Holy moly. I fly back to Calgary through Houston on Saturday morning. I take a tonne of stuff in my backpack carry on that is "electronic"; Laptop, tablet, battery for charging my phone/tablet, various chargers, etc. I hope I don't have to take it all out as I pity the people behind me.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #2010
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy moly. I fly back to Calgary through Houston on Saturday morning. I take a tonne of stuff in my backpack carry on that is "electronic"; Laptop, tablet, battery for charging my phone/tablet, various chargers, etc. I hope I don't have to take it all out as I pity the people behind me.
I've been down to Houston twice this past year and security is quick and painless down there. Sometimes the line is long but I haven't seen them being overly anal with electronics.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #2011
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yah I was just in KC and didn't have to take any cords out or anything coming through Denver and going through Chicago. Just took my tablet out of my bag.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #2012
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It might have been that I came from Seoul and they had another 2 flights from either there or Taiwan. They were definitely checking for something.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #2013
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I find there is so much inconsistency with airport security in the US. Some want everything out some don't.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #2014
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I fly out of Houston constantly and find the security to be quick and painless. I haven't experienced anything like what the poster described at any American airport so there must have been something unusual going on.

There are multiple terminals in Houston' all connected (before and after security) with different security checkpoints. After checking bags (if that's what you're doing) check fly2houston.com for wait times at each security checkpoint.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #2015
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I fly out of Houston constantly and find the security to be quick and painless. I haven't experienced anything like what the poster described at any American airport so there must have been something unusual going on.

There are multiple terminals in Houston' all connected (before and after security) with different security checkpoints. After checking bags (if that's what you're doing) check fly2houston.com for wait times at each security checkpoint.
No problem in Houston for me either. In fact, the last time, we never even had to take laptops out.

A gentleman in security was actually quite comical. He ws saying "folks, we don't want to see anything today. If you want to show us something, the long line is over there".

Had a similar experience in Minneapolis in June...show nothing, did not even have to take off jackets...just walk through.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #2016
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It might have been that I came from Seoul and they had another 2 flights from either there or Taiwan. They were definitely checking for something.
Oh maybe. Yeah, I flew through Houston a month ago and it was like others have said, super easy. That's why I was a bit concerned about your experience. But as others have said as well, there's hardly any consistency in US airport security lines.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #2017
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I find there is so much inconsistency with airport security in the US. Some want everything out some don't.
Friend of mine flies for WestJet and says the inconsistency in Canada is frustrating as well, at least for crew.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #2018
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I'll try it again next time I'm there. Had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich the one time I went and it was cold. Just not good at all. Willing to give it another try, though (mostly because I don't really have any other options haha).
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #2019
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No problem in Houston for me either. In fact, the last time, we never even had to take laptops out.

A gentleman in security was actually quite comical. He ws saying "folks, we don't want to see anything today. If you want to show us something, the long line is over there".

Had a similar experience in Minneapolis in June...show nothing, did not even have to take off jackets...just walk through.

Flying in the US to/out of Houston...no problems. Flying to/from Canada to Houston....no problem. Flying to/from Mexico to Houston....huge delays.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #2020
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Flying in the US to/out of Houston...no problems. Flying to/from Canada to Houston....no problem. Flying to/from Mexico to Houston....huge delays.
From Costa Rica too. Very obvious that profiling is a big thing there.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc