Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Billy and the Boingers said it best

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #62
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

You guys are letting your Oilers bias cloud your judgement. Nurse is already a Top 4 dman with the tools to become a top pairing one.

Every time I watched an Oilers game last season he was one of the few players who would always stand out in a good way.

He is going to get huge money in 2 years though.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
For that to happen it would mean you would have drafted nurse over Monahan so you could have given him that 3.2 bridge. Still want him over stone?
No. It's ok to compare player contracts on different teams without redoing the draft for realism.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #64
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true that it's apples to oranges though, RFA vs UFA. The thing is you don't really need a comparable to recognize that the Stone contract was a bad idea the minute it was signed. Same with Russell (which is a better comparable and an even worse deal).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #65
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
A mysterious allergy to wife-beaters?
Are they trying to sign Voynov?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #66
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's true that it's apples to oranges though, RFA vs UFA. The thing is you don't really need a comparable to recognize that the Stone contract was a bad idea the minute it was signed. Same with Russell (which is a better comparable and an even worse deal).
Meh, I don't think so. Happy to have him.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #67
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
LTIR is not free cap space.
I know it’s not. But the Oilers have less then a million in cap space right now. I don’t know why “Sekera’s contract hitting LTIR” has anything to do with it. Just means they can exceed the cap by that much.

Last edited by stang; 09-19-2018 at 02:46 PM.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #68
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
No. It's ok to compare player contracts on different teams without redoing the draft for realism.
If you are comparing contracts then it should be rfa vs rfa, or ufa vs ufa. Otherwise it is a ridiculous excerise, I'd rather have Rasmus Dalhin on his elc over Duncan Keith and his current contract.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #69
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I know it’s not. But the Oilers have less then a million in cap space right now. I don’t know why “Selena’s contract hitting LTIR” has anything to do with it. Just means they can exceed the cap by that much.
It means they can exceed it by that amount minus the current buffer. So as it stands around 4.7 if Sekera doesn't play a game this season. The space is accrued daily so if he is back in January, then maybe between 2M-3M. With him coming back it complicates things.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #70
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It means they can exceed it by that amount minus the current buffer. So as it stands around 4.7 if Sekera doesn't play a game this season. The space is accrued daily so if he is back in January, then maybe between 2M-3M. With him coming back it complicates things.
This is my understanding, please feel free to correct it if I am mistaken. Unused cap space is accrued daily, but LTIR is not free cap space and never accrues. Free cap space is all used before LTIR comes into effect. If the Oilers are content with their current lineup, they will accrue cap space daily. But if they bring in someone to replace Sekara and use up the LTIR available from his injury, they will have to lose the replacement and his salary (or a similar amount from another player transaction) before Sekara can return. Once Sekara returns, if there is any cap space available based on the remaining salaries, it will begin to accrue again on a daily basis, but it will never accrue while the team is over the cap in LTIR.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #71
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a decent resource. LTIR isn't really straightforward.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq
Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #72
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see him back before March honestly.

Normal recovery time is six months. He had the surgery in the middle of August so six months takes him until mid Feb.

I know guys have come back earlier like Erik Karlsson but usually at less than 100%.

Sekera is over thirty and he's not a star player that can play at 80% and be effective. I think he would probably go the Sami Salo route of six months plus two weeks.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #73
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know why “Selena’s contract hitting LTIR” has anything to do with it.
The name is Shakira.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #74
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not sure why people are ragging on this one, other than the fact "LOLOILERS"

Morrissy - 23 years old 6'0" 195 Shoots L - 46 points in 164 games
Nurse - 23 years old 6'4" 221 Shoots L - 47 points in 197 games

Let's see. Bigger, plays on a worse team, similar numbers over a difference of little over 1/3rd of a season. And they only had to pay a mere 50k more, because well, Edmonton is obviously a very bad team compared to stacked Winnipeg

I hate Edmonton as much as the next guy but they actually did a pretty good job here for once

Last edited by doctajones428; 09-18-2018 at 04:59 AM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #75
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chiarelli signs a player in Edmonton to a good value contract? I guess there is a first time for everything.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #76
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
You guys are letting your Oilers bias cloud your judgement. Nurse is already a Top 4 dman with the tools to become a top pairing one.

Every time I watched an Oilers game last season he was one of the few players who would always stand out in a good way.

He is going to get huge money in 2 years though.
He will get more money in 2 years, but he is a long way from being a legitimate top pairing defenseman.

Watch him make an outlet pass like a true top pairing defenseman.

It doesn't happen.

He has legitimate tools, he's athletic, and can skate, but he doesn't put it all together like a true top pairing defenseman. He may develop into a solid shut down defenseman, and Oiler management and fans are already blowing smoke up his butt that he is a top pairing, so he has no where to improve.

If they wanted a true top pairing defenseman, then he should have spent more time in the AHL to improve his ability to execute like a top pairing defenseman against weaker competition.

They didn't do that.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #77
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

LTIR - The Training-Camp Equation (from CapFriendly)

The training camp equation can be used on the last day of training camp in preparation for the first day of the season:
ACSL = Team cap hit - LTIR player’s cap hit

Example: The 2018-19 upper limit is $79.5M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $78M and places a player with an AAV of $5.5M on LTIR:
Team cap hit = $78M
Player’s cap hit = $5.5M
ACSL = $78M - $5.5M = $72.5M

Edmonton can sign a player or players worth about 6.2 million still and still be under the cap - they are screwed if (once) Sekera comes back though as the cap space money will be weighted by the number of games missed.

Using Edmonton's rough numbers (rounded roughly)

Last edited by JackIsBack; 09-18-2018 at 07:14 AM.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #78
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Nurse is pissed... I think he wanted a longer term deal and is wondering why Edmonton always overspends and yet was unwilling (unable really) to overspend on him. Edmonton really just ran out of money when his time came.

I'm not sure of the rules here... Isn't Nurse able to go to arbitration after this season? If so.... will he - if he has an amazing season, or is it better to just play out and get out of dodge (Edmonton S*** hole) ASAP. (but on second thought - why would you leave money on the table). This is all predicated on "if" he has a great year and if he wants to leave Edmonton - and we don't know that.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #79
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, the Nurse contract is fine. But it's now much more likely that either the Oilers can't keep him in two years or they have to move someone else to keep him. It's a bandaid for now but may end up hurting them in two years. Bad roster planning. Russel and Lucic are the gifts that keep on giving with a shout-out to Draisatl.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #80
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I know it’s not. But the Oilers have less then a million in cap space right now. I don’t know why “Selena’s contract hitting LTIR” has anything to do with it. Just means they can exceed the cap by that much.
No. Not even Selena Gomez's contract can save the Oilers.

No one can.

No one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: