Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Newbie 101 - How do I play this game?

Newbie 101

GMs can add in their pedantic scraps as they see fit. I thought Id create a thread to help the newbies along when they join the league….stuff we have forgotten and take for granted now that we are all superstar GMs.
None of this is in any particular order…so don’t shoot the messenger and don’t be a grammar Nazi either.

· The CalgaryPuck Hockey League Message Board is where we keep league details up to date. Read it daily if possible and especially the threads stuck at the top. Feel free to post your thoughts on how you will be great GM and what you will bring to your team and the league. Sit back while we LOL at you.

· Create a CPHL Folder on your computer. Work and home would be best, but certainly on the device you plan to play the most with.

· Download the GM Editor from this website, (https://sths.simont.info/Download_En.php). Select most recent GM Client…today it is Version 3.4.0. Download this to your CPHL Folder. The exe file you will have once it is unzipped is called STHSClient-V3.

· Download the most recent Roster Files. Usually this is on the CPHL Message Board in a folder called “Link for regular season roster file”. Open that folder, select the link that is provided, (http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/simupload/CPHL1.stc), Download to your CPHL Folder. (This file and your team file submitted to LINES should be deleted before you D/L the file for all games). It creates errors at times when the folder is not clean before starting. Your choice though. The file name that you will D/L is called CPHL1.stc during the regular season, and if you are lucky enough to make the playoffs will have a suffix added to that file during silly season. Preseason games also have a separate suffix.

Talk to other GMs about the Simulator. Get help to start. Give yourself 30 minutes the first few times you use it. It gets faster as you get used to it. Lines/Rosters can be done in 5 minutes once you have it down Pat. (No not you Faith)

The Leagues GMs are listed here:

https://cphlsim.com/gm-list/

· Chat as often as possible.

· Discuss trades. Talk Trades. Yell at people, but be nice about it. Smile. Yell again. Smoke a cigar. Have a drink. Make the deal. Mix and do over again. This is the lifeblood of the league. Team Rosters are here listed by Division: https://cphlsim.com/

When you make a trade it is completed on your Team Roster Page. See “Actions” “Propose a Trade” at the top of your Roster. Select, fill in password, follow generic instructions. One of the participating teams makes a trade proposal to another team via the "Propose a Trade" link on your roster page.
The other team will then find a link appear on their roster page that allows the GM to view their "trade offer". The link will say "You have been offered "x" trades. View Trades. They will also get an email notifying them of the trade.
From View Trades you can select the proposal for viewing.
After you view the trade(s) you have the option to either accept or reject what was offered.
If you accept the trade then league is notified and the CPHL either approves or rejects the deal.
A GM can also use the "Email Trade Offer" Link found on their teams page for a general email to start negotiations with another team.

· READ the RULES. This could or should be item #1. https://cphlsim.com/rules/

· Read the rules again…..ask other GMs WTF the rules mean and how they work. Don’t get bitten by the Watchdog….she is a bitch. (Watchdog is on leash during off season)

· IF you have a retired/injured player they can NOT play in the sim.

· You will HATE the Simulator. Don’t complain to Jiri Hrdina about it….he hates it more than you.

· Make sure you get used to everything on your Roster Page. It has links for most everything you need to know about your team…and others. Ask other GMs if you have any questions. It is likely they won’t know what you are talking about.

· League Transactions, Stats, and everything else you need for the league and your team are on the CPHL Website. Select CPHL Home to get there.

· The league has email addresses for various GM Needs. Please memorize these:
cphl1@yahoo.com - email for anything related to rules or discussion or any complaints you might have. Not for player movement.
cphltrade@yahoo.com - email for all player movement.
cphlufa@yahoo.com - email for all UFA or RFA player requests or movement.
cphllines@yahoo.com - email for submitting all line files generated by the GM Editor only.

Last edited by Cheese; 02-05-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

· You will HATE the Simulator. Don’t complain to Jiri Hrdina about it….he hates it more than you.

True dat!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Great post - one addition. Do NOT ignore the watchdog. If you are getting a warning and don't know why or feel it is an error - PM me.

In fact, if something urgent arises PM is the best way to reach me - over email including cphl1. If you need an answer soonish - then PM is the way to go.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I get on the waiting list for a franchise?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, be aware that some of the functions on your team page aren't intended to be used any more (making a player hold out, for example).

Read this too:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=105194

Last edited by dsavillian; 11-21-2012 at 05:18 PM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsavillian For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Can I get on the waiting list for a franchise?
No.

http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/joomla15...tpage&Itemid=1
Look at bottom of left side menu, "Register".
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

no other comments for the newbs?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sponsorships - Some of the older GMs don't use this but it's a great way to get cash for next year, use this. Only at the beginning of the year

PMs - Respond to them and within the 24 hours as per the league rules.

Away - If you're going on holidays or have some family thing notify the league and get help with your lines.

MJK - He's a prick, don't trust him.

Youth movement - Before I go on this rant I will say i'm also guilty of it but not always. Don't take over a team and decide to tear it down and re-build. You will notice there are about 10 teams that are loaded with top young players, then theres the mid-tier and then the bad teams with some good pieces. So to pry away those young pieces from those 10 teams will not be easy so If you have a good team then go for it and add vets (waaay cheaper then young players) and make a run at it.

Planning for years down the road - Why? You might not be even in the league in couple of years so take your best shot at a championship (I have now I'm trying something else).

Have fun - Don't be hesitant to make a move, ask other GMs for an opinion if need be but don't treat it like life and death. If you make a bad move you can still recover from it.

Cheese - He'll offer you players older then him for your good players.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ what he says....especially response time.
Most arent in this game for 5 - 10 years so rebuilding is a pathetic way to play.
Think of the game as a cross between Monopoly and Risk. Fake money, take chances, reload and go again.
The SIM does not love teams that are loaded with top 3 talent on all 4 lines...hell it doesnt like teams that are loaded with top 3 talent on 2 lines.
The SIM hates you.

Last edited by Cheese; 11-24-2012 at 11:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Sec218
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is a great thread! I wish there was something like this when I joined last May!
Sec218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get some advice prior to making a deal. I think most GMs are willing to help a new guy out by offering an opinion/advice. Hell, on some of my bigger moves, I still get a couple of other opinions.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

bump for newbie.
Also...if any of the other new players have something to add here that isnt already listed please do...lets keep this as one stop shopping for all new GMs.
Dont use this to have a discussion, just post your thoughts on the game and what helps/helped you as a new GM or older/wiser GM
Old 02-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #13
sbyoung1979
Draft Pick

Sounds Good
sbyoung1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I've played my first year as a newbie GM but still have questions!

There are always a million questions and not enough time to get them all answered. Now is the time, get things off your chest, ask questions that have been burning for a few months!
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flyers have a stacked team every year AND a dreamy GM.
Why can't they ever get past the 1st round of the playoffs?
- Anonymous
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #16
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
The Flyers have a stacked team every year AND a dreamy GM.
Why can't they ever get past the 1st round of the playoffs?
- Anonymous
It’s called the Jenik curse, I’m afraid to tell you, it was put on the Flyers organization by The Trailer Park Association of Raleigh .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does the grid change every year based on ratings? I.e does 67 ov get a slightly different contract every off-season?

Does the 1st rounder getting a 2 year elc based on cphl draft position or nhl?
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #18
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Does the grid change every year based on ratings? I.e does 67 ov get a slightly different contract every off-season?

CPHL - usually the first round players have already been put on your team before the NHL happens

Ratings I don’t know... but

300th ranked player that is 67ov on one package is the same player as a 300th ranked player with a 65ov in the other package. A slight adjustment to the settings we use can alter the OV’s so there is no for sure predictor.

But if he’s falls in the same overall ranking, unless the grids are changed you can assume a similar contract value. But guessing an OV is always a risky game to play

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 05-09-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #19
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post

Doug answered the 2nd question but to provide more context - that rule was one of a few we put in place to allow for better talent distribution across the league. Prior to that teams, would wait 3 years to sign and then have 3 years of RFA so they didn't have to pay those stars until upward of 6 years down the road. So it brings that pinch point forward.

On the grid. The last few years we've used the same third party ratings package, which allows us to have more or less consistent grids. But I would stop short of saying they will be the same for sure, as each year is a little different and there is no guarantee that we will use the same ratings system, including because they tend to come and go over the years.

I would note that we don't make any changes to the ratings package as that introduces subjectivity into the process. The lone exception is where there are NHL players that missed an entire year and therefore may not be in the package. In those cases we typically give those players a "playable" rating but with very low Durability.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 05-09-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

A question came up during the playoffs that I said I would answer after - which is why I don't tend to adjust the settings for my team in my lines.

The answer is because it has never worked for me. As soon as I deviate from the standard settings my team seems to do worse. I know some GMs though have had more success with this - but not me. I built really skilled offensive teams in the past and tried to crank the offensive setting and my teams couldn't score goals. The ratings need a balance because they each create different events in the sim. For instance you need to have some physicality in your game because that's what seems to create turnovers to give your team the puck back.

I try to match players together that I think will play well more than play with the settings and that has worked better for me.

That being said the sim remains as much of a mystery to me as anyone else.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: