Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #161
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Welp, after saying they wouldn't do it, the Steam Deck OLED is announced...

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Available Nov 16. I'll be interested to see some comparisons... the problem they have is that even someone like me who loves his Deck and could 100% afford to just buy this one for the hell of it probably won't, just because my existing machine is perfectly good, runs everything I would want to play on a handheld and still has solid battery life. If you assume that the vast majority of the market for devices like these has already bought one, I don't know if this will cause a big bump in sales.

But then, people do like their handhelds, so maybe I'm wrong.

Speaking of which, those LTT guys finish investigating their sexual assault issues yet?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:23 PM   #162
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I love the OLED but you are still locked to Steam's library and store. I think I would lean toward the Lenovo Legion Go but the refresh screen is sick.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #163
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I shouldn't but I'll be buying one. I held off getting one originally but it's become my favourite way to play games. I even enjoyed the hours and hours spent setting up Emudeck and other utilities like Decky.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:28 PM   #164
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I love the OLED but you are still locked to Steam's library and store. I think I would lean toward the Lenovo Legion Go but the refresh screen is sick.
My horrifically massive backlog makes this a plus.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #165
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Power Wash Simulator is going to look so good on this thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #166
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

You can install launchers for pretty much every store except Game Pass. I run games from GOG and Epic without any trouble. Yeah it's still limited compared to the Legion Go but I've got more than enough games to keep me busy.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:13 AM   #167
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Power Wash Simulator is going to look so good on this thing.
Don't forget House Flipper!
Old 11-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #168
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love the OLED but you are still locked to Steam's library and store.
Not true at all. Not only can you install windows if you want but there are lots of guides out there to get other platforms on there. E.g.

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23548...stall-protonup
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:21 PM   #169
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-14-2023, 10:35 AM   #170
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Not true at all. Not only can you install windows if you want but there are lots of guides out there to get other platforms on there. E.g.

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23548...stall-protonup
You can trick other launchers to try to launch games via Proton emulation but it's not 100% for Windows game compatibility running in Linux. Actually booting to Windows is also a really poor experience from what I've seen. Ultimately this is a Linux machine restricted to Proton emulation compatibility for PC games which always put me off - that and that Steam is the smallest part of my modern library nowadays even though its full of those Steam sale games we used to buy tons of 10 years ago and never play.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #171
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Launch was this morning. Seems to have completely crashed steam. Really ridiculous that they weren't prepared for it... I mean come on, you know what happened last time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:23 AM   #172
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Scored a limited edition OLED after many refreshes and waiting for the site crash to be fixed. Totally stoked, can't wait to play around with it. Early Xmas gift for myself. lol
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #173
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't actually realize they were even selling non-limited edition ones.

EDIT: After looking into it it appears the LE ones are all with a translucent case but you can only get them in 1TB with the etched screen. I think the etched screen made sense for the OG steam deck where the screen wasn't the selling point and the ability to use it in transit was (where glare reduction matters most)... but would you really want that on an OLED panel? It's going to dull things a bit.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-16-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #174
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't actually realize they were even selling non-limited edition ones.

EDIT: After looking into it it appears the LE ones are all with a translucent case but you can only get them in 1TB with the etched screen. I think the etched screen made sense for the OG steam deck where the screen wasn't the selling point and the ability to use it in transit was (where glare reduction matters most)... but would you really want that on an OLED panel? It's going to dull things a bit.
Dave2Ds review showed that the etched screen actually seems to provide worse picture quality with the OLED. It kills the deep blacks and vibrant colors. Kind of like the difference between a glossy monitor screen and the matte ones at the office.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #175
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well that's not ideal. Strange that the LE model wouldn't look as good as the regular OLED. I'm sure it will be fine as long as I never see them side by side I guess. Thanks for the info
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #176
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the video referenced above it looked like you could mitigate the issue with a glossy screen protector, though that's a bit of a pain.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:03 PM   #177
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is the day, seems like all models are still available!
Old 11-16-2023, 03:12 PM   #178
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Limited edition is still for sale but at $819, I could get a Legion Go for an extra $100 or get my co-workers old non OLED Steam deck for $200 as he's trying to offload it.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023LE
Old 11-16-2023, 06:40 PM   #179
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

$200 is a steal. They're still listed on the various marketplace sites in the 4s... that said with a lot of new listings the past few days I suspect that'll come down. But not to 200.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:31 PM   #180
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

SteamOS 3.5.5 is out on the stable channel. It’s supposed to have a ton of improvements.