Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Vintage Cowboy Hats

I've been helping my mother go through my dad's stuff and donating all his old clothes. I came across a vintage cowboy hat that he rarely wore and probably hadn't touched it in 30 years. It made me think that it had value.

I'm fairly certain he wore it in the 1975 Grey Cup as he was part of the on-field opening ceremonies and I remember seeing a picture of him and he was wearing a cowboy hat. This was probably that hat.

How does one go about getting an older Cowboy hat appraised? Any hat connoisseurs around?

One thing I've just learned is the number of X's in the hat. The more X's the better the quality. Each X represents 10% of beaver fur used to make the hat. I found a nearly identical hat, but with only 4Xs on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36476959573...=&toolid=10049

My dad's hat has 8 X's. This also makes me think that I've got something of value. I'm just curious if I should try to sell it or just donate it and if I do sell it I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I'd hate to sell something for what I thought was fair value and see the buyer turn around and sell it for significantly more.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd print out the picture of him on the field and then put the hat in a glass box under the picture.

But I'm a high functioning hoarder, so you shouldn't listen to me.

Would assume the cost of appraisal would far exceed the value of the hat. Not sure of the market for non-designer vintage clothes.

Now, if you put the picture of the hat and hat in the "vintage" section of Ebay right as Stampede is warming up... well that might do something for ya! 50th anniversary next year and all...
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2024, 12:57 PM   #3
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe check with Smithbilt hats?

https://smithbilthats.com/
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I'd print out the picture of him on the field and then put the hat in a glass box under the picture.

But I'm a high functioning hoarder, so you shouldn't listen to me.

Would assume the cost of appraisal would far exceed the value of the hat. Not sure of the market for non-designer vintage clothes.

Now, if you put the picture of the hat and hat in the "vintage" section of Ebay right as Stampede is warming up... well that might do something for ya! 50th anniversary next year and all...
I've thought of just keeping it too. I can't find the picture though. My mom was going to throw out all her picture albums so I took them but I can't find the picture. I wonder if she already tossed it or mis-placed it somewhere else.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote