Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
OK, fair enough...I don't know he lied...perhaps he simply got it wrong. Sucks though...4 hours is not much at all. Don't know about taking this back. Does anyone know what the return policy is on netbooks? I used it obviously, loaded software on it, etc.
Doesn't matter what you've done with it. If you are within the time for returns then return it. Best Buy takes everything back and the most they will do is turn it on (if even that). They've never done anything aside from look in the box when I have returned computers/monitors, etc.

You were sold by misleading advertising by their own salesman into getting the smaller battery model. That's perfectly good reason. I would return it myself unless you think the price reflects good enough value to overcome the battery deficit (because the 6 cell battery is more expensive and it also is bigger).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #22
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You always seem to wonder why people bring Apple into your threads when it is obvious. The OP of this thread has even ignore listed you because of it . Of course it's based on your posting history as you always brag about Apple and always rag on Acer and I find it disagreeable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I have loved all my Acer and BenQ products (originally the same company) over the years because they work for me and really cheap because I am a cheapass but I will admit they are not for everyone.
I didn't say a single word about Apple. You brought it up, not me. Man up.

And I rag on Acer because Acer sucks. Pick any consumer satisfaction or reliability survey on the planet, and Acer will be right near the bottom. Just because you have no problem with rebuilding your netbook from the BIOS up, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't have a problem with it.

I don't get why this is such a big deal for you. You like cheap crap. Awesome. Don't make me out to be a villain over it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I didn't say a single word about Apple. You brought it up, not me. Man up.

And I rag on Acer because Acer sucks. Pick any consumer satisfaction or reliability survey on the planet, and Acer will be right near the bottom. Just because you have no problem with rebuilding your netbook from the BIOS up, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't have a problem with it.

I don't get why this is such a big deal for you. You like cheap crap. Awesome. Don't make me out to be a villain over it.
I'm not making you out to be a villain. Here on CP posters get referenced to their posting history out of the blue all the time. Blaster86, MMF, Fotze, etc. I'm just saying you don't have to be defensive or clueless about people referencing your posting history out of the blue as I see this reaction from you all the time. You have ragged on Acer in many, many threads while touting Apple alternatives (even if it's not netbooks). It's relevant because I don't think that analysis is fair and requires a dissenting voice but that's just my opinion as someone who has enjoyed many Acer products.

I don't get why this is such a big deal for you to be identified with your posting history. This is how forums with long term members and personalities work.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not making you out to be a villain. Here on CP posters get referenced to their posting history out of the blue all the time. Blaster86, MMF, Fotze, etc. I'm just saying you don't have to be defensive or clueless about people referencing your posting history out of the blue as I see this reaction from you all the time. You have ragged on Acer in many, many threads while touting Apple alternatives (even if it's not netbooks). It's relevant because I don't think that analysis is fair but that's just my opinion as someone who has enjoyed many Acer products.
Seriously, why are you even arguing about this? You made a mistake. Move on. It's not the end of the world.

Baffling.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously, why are you even arguing about this? You made a mistake. Move on. It's not the end of the world.

Baffling.
Pot meet Kettle.

What mistake am I making? You are the one who started arguing and telling me to "Man up" when I've said nothing derogatory to you (while admitting negative things about myself). I see you going: "why bring Apple into this?" in many threads where people reply to you and taking it way too seriously. I'm just saying why you don't need to be dumbfounded by this. It's just the same as other people getting identified for their forum quirks and having innocuous remarks about them in other threads.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Anyway, Oilkiller, I think that's a good deal. I really like the keys on the new Acer netbooks and that's some decent screen size as well. The bigger battery is just good if you think you will travel alot with it because of the small size.

I have an old 8.9" screen model and while it's fine for reading in bed up by my face, it's not comfortable to type from at a normal typing distance and the old keyboards really suck.

I will probably end up replacing my netbook with one of those $300 Chinese Android tablets (with the latest version or the ability to update firmware) in the near future. They are getting pretty good.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
What mistake am I making? You are the one who started arguing and telling me to "Man up" when I've said nothing derogatory to you (while admitting negative things about myself). I see you going: "why bring Apple into this?" on many threads where people reply to you and taking it way too seriously. I'm just saying why you don't need to be dumbfounded by this. It's just the same as other people getting identified for their forum quirks.
Now you're just arguing about arguing.

You made an incorrect assumption, and someone pointed it out. It happens. You'll live.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #28
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Now you're just arguing about arguing.

You made an incorrect assumption, and someone pointed it out. It happens. You'll live.
And you initiated and are needlessly perpetuating the hostility. What is this thing I am wrong about that you constantly mention?

Someone bringing up Apple in a thread where you are posting is no different than someone bringing up Iceland in a thread where Thor is posting. It is innocuous. Everyone gets it but you.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
What is this thing I am wrong about
Hmmm...

Quote:
Well on the bright side, at least you saved some money buying an Acer.
Quote:
I will always buy an Acer over an Apple any day...
Quote:
Who said anything about Apple?

He could have bought an Asus (best), Dell, Samsung, Sony...
Quote:
You always seem to wonder why people bring Apple into your threads when it is obvious.
Did we really need a page and a half for this conversation? Could you not have just said something like, "Oh sorry, I just assumed you were talking about Apple." I don't know why you need to turn it around on me like it's my fault you made a mistake. (That's what I meant by "man up" by the way.)

Anyway. I'm going to bed. This is getting pretty stupid. Goodnight!

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-20-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Hmmm...

Did we really need a page and a half for this conversation? Could you not have just said something like, "Oh sorry, I just assumed you were talking about Apple." I don't know why you need to turn it around on me, like it's my fault you made a mistake. (That's what I meant by "man up" by the way.)
No I did not and never assumed you were talking about Apple. You are the one making assumptions. I mentioned Apple because its part of your posting history which is relevant to computers because you also dislike Acer. It was also made in good humor but you respond overly defensively whenever this happens. People mention Apple all the time in threads that you post in that are unrelated to Apple. This is an indication that people remember things about your posts and you should take it as a compliment. This is a misunderstanding. We can keep being ######s over PM if you want. Goodnight

Quote:
Oh and to those quoting Fanin80, please don't...he's on my ignore list so I would rather not see anything he posts...Thanks.
Sorry. I messed up. I hope you are okay.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #31
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Woooooow. Nice touch on re-quoting the "pansy has me on ignore" bit. Yeah, that'll prove you're right.

It's actually pretty hillarious that you've stretched this out for as long as you have. It's really not that big of a deal, man. I don't know why you can't just move on like I keep asking.

Edit: ...and now I really am going to bed. This has progressed from stupid to just plain embarrassing. You'll have to keep arguing with yourself if you want to keep trying for that last word.

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-20-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #32
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

OT: This thread has become ridiculously awful, with at least one person being a dick in it.

Back on topic, I have always considered acer to be awful, but my experiences with their netbooks have been really positive. That includes the battery life.
I`ve found their netbooks to be really good little machines.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:37 AM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
OT: This thread has become ridiculously awful, with at least one person being a dick in it.

Back on topic, I have always considered acer to be awful, but my experiences with their netbooks have been really positive. That includes the battery life.
I`ve found their netbooks to be really good little machines.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out their netbooks were manufactured at the same factory as many other netbooks people consider to be quality ones. Heck, you can basically count on one hand the number of manufacturers in the world that make all the laptops for every company in the world.

Like I said before, I've had technical problems with mine that stopped it from even turning on and required some work to get fixing but that's the benefit of going with something that a lot of people will own because of the low price, you'll also get support from the user community. I've learned never to buy obscure or rarely owned electronics even if the are cooler and more unique feeling.

I would still return it though, if battery life was a big selling point. Netbooks are perfect for things like long plane rides or hanging out in a public place with wifi (but with no power jacks). There are some places in downtown where you can steal a signal from a hotel or office building easily while sitting in a nice pavilion or food court or outside patio, etc.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #34
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Acer is the absolute worst brand you can buy. Hell, I'd even buy an HP long before I bought an Acer, and I would never buy an HP. That should tell you everything you need to know.
I don't even know if I believe H&L about his Acer fetish, simply because anyone with even a modicum of knowledge in PC land would choose a slightly higher quality machine such as an ASUS. It just sounds implausible that anyone with any interest in computers chooses Acer at all.

The only way I can see this is if H&L is buying on price with the very strict understanding that an Acer netbook is disposable, something that might, MIGHT last two years before physically falling apart or the battery failing completely, at which point he will buy another disposable machine.

Acer is what suckers get from Best Buy, go home, and end up disappointed one way or another, just like OP. Miserable machines bought from miserable stores, that never ever hope to meet or exceed expectations.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #35
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

An interesting trend that started in the Mac camp, but I'm sure applies to PC's as well, is that on smaller machines, with smaller batteries, browsing sites with lots of Flash on them can have a super negative effect, to the tune of several hours battery life on a Macbook Air.

Now Flash on the Mac is much worse than on the PC, but it definitely still puts decent load on a PC as well, so maybe try finding a Flash blocker plugin for the netbook - I bet that could help optimize battery life too.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #36
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well on the bright side, at least you saved some money buying an Acer.

...well 20% of the bright side anyway.
Give it a rest already.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #37
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some interesting posts in the thread guys and of course useless bickering with Fanin80...just leave him be guys...I've never seen him type anything useful. One of the most annoying posters on this forum.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...H&L, I think you are right, I like it a lot, but I am strongly considering returning it this morning because the battery life is so low, that it simply is not enough...I mainly got it for talking on CP while there is a game on. I thought I would put it on the coffee table and be fine, but it won't even last a whole game without having to be plugged in. If it had an 8 hour life, I would have been fine with it because it's a great machine for the price. The dual core processor is surprisingly snappy.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Some interesting posts in the thread guys and of course useless bickering with Fanin80...just leave him be guys...I've never seen him type anything useful. One of the most annoying posters on this forum.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...H&L, I think you are right, I like it a lot, but I am strongly considering returning it this morning because the battery life is so low, that it simply is not enough...I mainly got it for talking on CP while there is a game on. I thought I would put it on the coffee table and be fine, but it won't even last a whole game without having to be plugged in. If it had an 8 hour life, I would have been fine with it because it's a great machine for the price. The dual core processor is surprisingly snappy.
Yeah if it doesn't meet needs, return. End of story, regardless of product selection
Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #39
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would say there is something wrong with that battery. I have a 1.5 year old Acer 8.9" that came with a 3 hour battery; and that battery does typically last a solid 2.5 hours. I also bought a replacement battery off eBay that gives me 6-7 hours. (Just saying in case you decide to exchange it- might be something to consider. Having a netbook with 2 batteries for around $300 is still a pretty good deal.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #40
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, I turned it on this morning, and with a full charge, it only shows 3 1/2 hours remaining. So their 4 hours sounds about right (with no usage and screen dimmed). Not enough for me. It's going back. I will look for a unit with a 6 cell battery so I can get at least 6 good hours to 8 out of it.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote