Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Interesting iTunes Teaser

http://www.apple.com/
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/a...ll-never-forge
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/15/...ment-tomorrow/

Cloud-based iTunes?
iTunes subscription service?
Apps in Apple TV?
More studios on board with TV rentals?

I was trying to think of a Beatles reference that would relate to "another day" or "never forget" but nothing comes to mind right away. When it comes to iTunes announcements, the Beatles are usually the first thing people think of.

Edit: There's a Paul McCartney song called "Another Day," but that would be a bit of a stretch to say the least.

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-15-2010 at 09:45 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't they just opening the Mac App Store?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be 007 collection. Although that's a lot of hype for a collection addition. Not that Apple ever overhypes anything.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I doubt they make this big of a deal about the Beatles or Bond... unless it's part of a bigger content related announcement.

Edit: Mac App Store is in January, I believe.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would love for it to be a subscription based TV model. Seeing as they just went through the TV rental hoopla though I rather doubt it.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Very interesting! My guess (in order of probability) is it's either iTunes in the cloud, subscription model for music or they managed to get the other networks to opt in to the tv rental system that FOX is currently participating in.

I could see iTunes in the cloud because the rumours have been swinging heavily in that direction for a few months.

Subscription model is a maybe in my books, but I don't see it extending beyond music because a) there are other subscription services out there so it may not be a giant stretch to do and b) I don't think the tv/movie people are progressive enough to go for it. One point made on a podcast last week that made a lot of sense was that if iTunes was a subscription, then Ping actually makes sense. At the moment it's dumb to say "This song is awesome, listen to a preview!". Now if it was "I just made a playlist to get me focused on my work this morning .... listen to it", THEN Ping becomes useful.

Finally the TV network people joining up for rental much like FOX has. I'm not even convinced FOX will continue doing it as they claim to only be renting out content as a trial. It would definitely help sales of the Apple TV if there was more rental selection. I wonder if maybe the tv networks are realizing that the google tv box may be more hurtful to their business model?
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It would have to be pretty incredible to something "you'll never forget".
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Prototype

Exp:

I doubt it's subscription based video if they're on board with Netflix, unless they are shutting down their agreement with the company. That would suck, as it was one of the reasons for me to pick up AppleTV.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
One of the most popular topics of discussion for some time now has been a cloud-based iTunes that would allow users to have their purchased iTunes Store content hosted on Apple's servers and streamed to Internet-connected devices rather than having to manage local content libraries on each machine or on a user's home network. Another popular rumor dating back many years is a subscription-based music service that would allow users to pay a monthly fee to be able to listen to an entire catalog of music.

But according to All Things Digital, both of these possibilities appear unlikely given the lack of any inside reports of new contracts with major music labels that would be required for such plans.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/15/...unes-tomorrow/
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Here's a thought ... what if they are finally renaming the program? iTunes really doesn't fit anymore considering all the things aside from music that it manages.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

iMedia?
iLibrary?
iStore?
iPlay?
iHaveNoClueWhatToCallIt?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

iRaq
iRan

it's what's next...
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I dunno if they'd make this big of a deal about a simple name change though.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Maybe they finally reached an agreement with Facebook and Ping could actually do what they originally claimed it could. Twitter integration was a good first step.

It's kind of weird that they would announce anything at 7am Pacific time.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

It has to be something with their new data center in Carolina. If they're announcing at 7 in Cali, that will be 10 there, which is about an hour after the work day starts there.

I still think it has something to do with cloud iTunes.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...w-idatacenter/

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-15-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Coincidentally, this was just posted on Mac Rumors...

Quote:
Speculation and rumors regarding tomorrow's iTunes-related announcement are continuing to come in from all directions, and the latest bit of speculation relies on some bits of information pulled out of the iTunes 10.1 release from last Friday to suggest that Apple might be looking to launch some kind of "iTunes Live Stream" service. Details on what exactly the service might be, however, remain sketchy.

As noted, however, it is unclear what iTunes Live Stream actually is, with speculation ranging from live streaming of existing television content to something more along the lines of user-generated streams of live video or audio content.

Apple has been testing some aspects of live video streaming in recent months, rolling out its own HTTP Live Streaming technology based on open standards to deliver live video of its September and October media events. And with the company's new data center in North Carolina set to open by the end of the year, the company would seem to have ample backend capacity for such technology to be deployed on a broader scale.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/15/...n-itunes-10-1/

Last edited by FanIn80; 11-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe they'll kill off ping? Admit it was a half baked attempt to hop on the social networking trend?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Apple is going to introduce a YouTube competitor. Upload and download content via your iTunes account, so family and stalkers can see your home vids on their shiny new $99 AppleTV
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dear Apple, please segregate iTunes from your other ****. I don't want apps, I want music. In a small, easy to manage program.

Hugs and kisses, TTC
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Dear Apple, please segregate iTunes from your other ****. I don't want apps, I want music. In a small, easy to manage program.

Hugs and kisses, TTC
That would be fine by me! I want nothing to do with their music.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote