Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Infected computer...want to save files

My moms computer got one of those viruses that wants you to buy the program to fix it. I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET's online scanner. They did their best but now it's blocked MSE and the internet. So I am going to wipe out the computer for her. However there are pictures on there that she would like me to keep. What's the best way to go about this?

If I transfer them to a USB stick would the virus follow it? If I upload them to the cloud (Dropbox) will the virus follow that? I just want to make sure I can save the pictures and keep the newly formated PC squeaky clean. Thanks for the help.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd try running in safe mode and try to clean out the virus/spyware that way. That usually allows access to the net.

If you transfer anything over to the new windows install, scan it while it's on the USB stick before copying it over
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

What fake anti-virus program is it?

The safest way is to clean it (Try Hitmen Pro 3.5, Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware). Chances are you might need to jump through some hoops for some of those scans to work, and www.bleepingcomputer.com will typically have a step by step guide for all but the newest variant.

Once it is cleaned, transfer the files via USB, and scan them before they go onto the clean computer.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it gets to the point where you KNOW the virus incurable, such as the Ramnit A virus I dealt with 3 weeks ago, you can retreive all files that are not executable such as non .exe .

you need to make an ubuuntu boot drive from a disk or a flash key, there are many tutorials. and you reboot your comp with it plugged in, let ubuuntu load up, then pull all of your safe files from your drive onto a seperate storage device, then reinstall you operating system on the next reboot

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The program is Smart Engine. That website has a tutorial for how to get rid of it. I will give that a shot tonight. I think I will still wipe it after I do that though, for the peace of mind more than anything.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
If it gets to the point where you KNOW the virus incurable, such as the Ramnit A virus I dealt with 3 weeks ago, you can retreive all files that are not executable such as non .exe .

you need to make an ubuuntu boot drive from a disk or a flash key, there are many tutorials. and you reboot your comp with it plugged in, let ubuuntu load up, then pull all of your safe files from your drive onto a seperate storage device, then reinstall you operating system on the next reboot

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
I'd definitely go with this suggestion.

And while you're at it, consider installing Ubuntu permanently and exploring it's greatness. I've been playing with Linux for a few months now and so far I haven't had a reason to boot up Windows.

It's great for experienced computer users AND great for not so experienced users once it has been all set up nicely. Good times.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayocal View Post
I'd definitely go with this suggestion.

And while you're at it, consider installing Ubuntu permanently and exploring it's greatness. I've been playing with Linux for a few months now and so far I haven't had a reason to boot up Windows.

It's great for experienced computer users AND great for not so experienced users once it has been all set up nicely. Good times.
I reinstalled my winXP after the cleanup and I have so many problems with my computer now. maybe another format and a fresh start in ubuuntu could be better.

You can game, work, and watch media all just the same?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I reinstalled my winXP after the cleanup and I have so many problems with my computer now. maybe another format and a fresh start in ubuuntu could be better.

There is a program call Wine HQ that you can install on Ubuntu. This program allows you to run most Windows apps on a Linux machine. So far I've only tried WinAmp and PokerStars but they both seem to work flawlessly.

As far as media, I had to tweak around a bit to get full screen to work from websites such as youtube, justin tv, tsn, ect. There is a surplus of great Linux tutorials and tips online.

I've used a few resources (google is your friend) including Ubuntu forums but I get most of my tips from makeuseof.com.

It's been a great experience for me so far. It feels good to use a free non-windows OS!! Also, Ubuntu runs great on older xp machines.

Also, with no anti-malware/virus apps running in the background, you are able to see Firefox, Chrome and Opera at their best

If you're nervous about ditching Windows then don't. Just set up as dual boot.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd try running a full scan of Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. Almost always gets it done for me.

If you want to back stuff up though, I've found USB Keys + Safe Mode do the job (as most viruses exist on executable or otherwise non-cherished files)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Work and media pretty much the same.

Game? Not always, but that is what dual boot is for.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Ramnit is curable. It's a helluva hard thing to deal with though as it rewrites all the exe files in alphanumeric order from the root of your harddrives with infected versions of itself that can't be repaired. Now I have a folder in the root of the drive with hundreds of fake exe files. Avast detected and got rid of the Ramnit problem.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somehow I got the internet working and I ran Malware Bytes and removed the infection (hopefully). I'll go through the rest of the bleepingcomputer article tonight and finish the cleanup.

It's my moms computer so I don't think there is any advantage with installing another OS on it. She can barely use Windows as it is. Although I wouldn't mind checking it out for myself to try.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Somehow I got the internet working and I ran Malware Bytes and removed the infection (hopefully). I'll go through the rest of the bleepingcomputer article tonight and finish the cleanup.

It's my moms computer so I don't think there is any advantage with installing another OS on it. She can barely use Windows as it is. Although I wouldn't mind checking it out for myself to try.
My mom ran Ubuntu 9.10 for over a year with very few issues.

Occasionally she would have trouble installing something, so I would send her the command to do the install.

The thing that killed it, was the fact that her iPhone and iTunes were really annoying for me to set up and I didn't want to be bothered.