Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #1461
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flylock, since you seem to like your steel bikes, I would recommend giving Fairlight a look. They make quality bikes with nice Reynolds steel. I bought a Fairlight Secan from them last spring, and it's been a really great all-around gravel bike for me. The only problem (apart from not being able to see one in any Canadian store) is that they seem to be really popular now, so there appears to backup in terms of orders. But perhaps you're not in a rush.

https://fairlightcycles.com

Last edited by Table 5; 12-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #1462
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jealous of your Dekerf. A few friends had them, gorgeous bikes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #1463
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, one of the two bikes I regret selling. The other was my Ritchey P-23. Realistically, I'd rarely ride them, and at the time I needed the money. But I would love to have them hanging in my garage today.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #1464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why I haven't sold a bike in 23 years!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #1465
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I've been looking at last years wheelhouse. I used to have a dekerf made with Reynolds 853 and I loved how that bike rode.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Wheelhouse-Bike-2019-5

Build isn't great, but the price is awesome.

That one's actually on my short-list as well after it popped up on Jenson (along with a green Rove NRB DL on sale). Looks like a good pick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Flylock, since you seem to like your steel bikes, I would recommend giving Fairlight a look. They make quality bikes with nice Reynolds steel. I bought a Fairlight Secan from them last spring, and it's been a really great all-around gravel bike for me. The only problem (apart from not being able to see one in any Canadian store) is that they seem to be really popular now, so there appears to backup in terms of orders. But perhaps you're not in a rush.

https://fairlightcycles.com

I'd never even heard of them. Sounds like they have a great rep (if you can find one!). Did you order yours online?
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #1466
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Last night was colder than I normally would do my full commute (well, winter commute shortened to 21km.) Actually was a nice ride. Just cold enough to keep the idiots off the paths. Anybody with dogs that I encountered after downtown actually made sure to keep the dog's leash short as I passed.

I did have an unscheduled stop for a herd of deer crossing, which was kind of cool.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #1467
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost hit a deer a couple of days ago going under the Zoo bridge off of Memorial drive.

Will roll over 6700km for the year on my ride home today.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #1468
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I have to be so careful about deer in Carburn park and along the CP rail yards. They're usually pretty docile and don't think much of me, but there's a buck I've seen at the start of the rail yards stretch that I've had to stop for.

I'm 105km away from 4500km and I'm so exhausted. My legs just don't want to go anymore.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #1469
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I'd never even heard of them. Sounds like they have a great rep (if you can find one!). Did you order yours online?
Yeah, lots of great reviews out there, but they are pretty British centric (although with probably similar weather conditions to Vancouver!).

I ordered a frameset online and then finalized the bike at a local shop here. You can order a full bike too, but then the duties are higher. Their sizing model is sort of in-between a standard bike company and something totally custom, so I had a fitting here in town, and Fairlight recommended the right frameset based on that. I talked directly with the owner, so its a relatively small and personal operation.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #1470
kermitology

Exp:

Had my mountain bike winter beater stolen from my garage this afternoon. I was loading the car to go over to a friends place and was going back and forth. Only gone for like 2 minutes each time. I hate bike thieves!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #1471
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### sakes! Even out in the winter? Ugh. The worst. Sorry for your loss.

What was it? I occasionally see abandoned bikes on my ride to work.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #1472
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Brutal. That's round two for stolen bikes for you isn't it?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #1473
kermitology

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

It’s an Orbea MX50 29”. It’s neon green and black and had reflectors on most of the spokes.

Yeah, second time I’ve had bikes stolen at Christmas time.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #1474
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I have to be so careful about deer in Carburn park and along the CP rail yards. They're usually pretty docile and don't think much of me, but there's a buck I've seen at the start of the rail yards stretch that I've had to stop for.

I'm 105km away from 4500km and I'm so exhausted. My legs just don't want to go anymore.

Hey just a rest day or two, plus try to pedal easy for another day and they'll turn around in time for that last 105km. That 4500km is a great number BTW. Key is to be consistently riding, but also to consciously take rest / easy / medium / hard days (which also include varying distances). You got this!

I'm about 500km shy (right now) of my season stretch-goal but am content given a bout of Mono in Feb/March and a relapse in June.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #1475
kermitology

Exp:

MFers took our Chariot too!
Old 12-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #1476
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone purchase a fatbike recently? Thinking to upgrade my Moose fatbike in January.

Current frontrunners are:

Giant Yukon 1 (2020): ~$2100 - great specs if I stick with rigid fork

Trek Farley 7: ~$3100 (think Ridleys has $200-300 off on Black Friday) if I decide to go with fork - think it has 80mm of travel.

Any other contenders I should be considering? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #1477
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone purchase a fatbike recently? Thinking to upgrade my Moose fatbike in January.

Trek Farley 7: ~$3100 (think Ridleys has $200-300 off on Black Friday) if I decide to go with fork - think it has 80mm of travel.

Farley 7 over the Yukon. . The manitou mastodon comp is an great fork would be nicer if it was a pro but at least it is the extended version to accommodate the newer bfat.

I would seriously take a look at a kona wozo . More trail oriented . I love mine . I have 3 wheelsets for mine. 29+ 27 fat and 26 fat. It will do 27.5 + aswell.Good 1 bike that does it all

If your spending that kind of money and don't need suspension then I would seriously look at a Salsa beargrease SX .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-16-2019 at 04:33 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #1478
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
It's been over 5 years since I last bought a new bike, and the time has finally arrived to scratch that itch. Would love to get some views from CP's cyclists (and share some bike pron) before I make any decisions.

The task: replacing my 2010 Masi Speciale CX commuter bike (that's not it, but it's the same model/colour as the one pictured).

What I'm looking for: something a bit smaller (moving from a 56 to a 54), a bit more upright, a bit lighter, a bit (but not a lot) pricier, with disc brakes and the capacity for fatter wheels (currently running 700x35s) to go with fenders and a rack. I'm even contemplating something that can run 700c and 650b wheels so it can be like two bikes in one).

Candidate bikes:

First, the utterly gorgeous and therefore very thievable Kona NRB ($2300):

Bike is pretty light (AL), pretty fun to ride, looks a lot like my current bike in dark cherry, and has most of the other features I'm looking for. It's pretty pricey though, and I'm not so sure about the 1x system for hilly commuting.

Next up, a steel Kona with similar features, the Rove ST:

I should add that snow isn't a factor for me here in Vancouver, but rain and hills sure are.
I would go kona nrb. I have ridden all but the mec. I am biased tho as I own a kona rove ltd. I was originally going to get the nrb but my buddy manages another shop in town so I got it at cost( perk of working in the industry)

I do prefer nice steel frame . If thats the case for you as well I would look at bombtracks' hook range of bikes . We sell these and they ride very nice at an affordable price. Columbus crmor .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-16-2019 at 05:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #1479
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

I forgot to mention in my last post a couple of bikes.

Surly ICT which Is what I originally wanted over the wozo but the distributor here I could only get a complete and not a frameset in Canada. Which pissed me off cuz I hate that they switched to there own parent company to distribute in Canada because they are harder to deal with .
Surly Wednesday. Just a smaller version of the ict of you don't need to run a 5 inch. Better q factor for some riders as it's only a 177mm rear instead of 197mm.

Fatback Rhino FLt. Fat back makes one of the nicest fatbikes I have ridden called the Corvis which came on the scale at 23lbs . The rhino is an aluminum veraion with mastodon.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #1480
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like i will finish the year with a little over 3,500 k over 162 rides.

i want to make more of an effort during the week to get out in the evening for at least an hour ride which would net me somewhere between 17 and 23k depending on the tool i am riding.