Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
if he signs with the Ducks or team that acquires his rights during the 30 day window, it will be for slightly less money than on July 1.

As a 2008 draftee, Schultz would be capped at $875K plus $87,500 signing bonus, plus the max performance bonuses

As a UFA, he would be subject to the same rookie max ELC as players drafted this year. $925K, plus $92,500 signing bonus and performance bonuses.

An extra $110K(over two years) just for waiting another month
Question for you.... (or anyone that knows the answer)

What are the max performance bonuses Schultz can receive?

Is his max cap hit going to be the same as Cervenka, for example? ($925,000 Salary + $2,850,000 Performance Bonuses = $3,775,000)

Also, might it be a one year deal as well, or does it have to be a 3 year ELC?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #82
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

his Schedule A performance bonuses will be geared towards a D-man, and his schedule B bonuses will likely include a bonus for the Norris and Calder among others (Cervenka's were for Hart, Richard, Selke and Conn Smythe) but the dollars will be the same. His age means he will get a 2 year ELC

Last edited by Canada 02; 06-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #83
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Former NHL GM Brian Lawton says that whoever signs Schultz will have to guarantee a roster position:
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...m-lawton-says/
Quote:
Former NHL GM Brian Lawton says that any team that wants this highly-rated, soon-to-be-free agent prospect will have to meet with him in person and guarantee him a roster spot for next season.
“You can rest assured ten teams will guarantee him a spot on their roster,” Lawton told Jason Gregor of the Team 1260. “If you want to compete for these guys you better understand the environment and you better be aggressive. Because there is no time to not be.
“So if you any chance to get a player like this, you’re gonna unfortunately going to be out there on a limb in some uncomfortable positions. Because there are things you don’t want to do like guaranteeing a roster spot to a player who has not played in the league. But guess what? That is the landscape you’re dealing with. If you’re going to sit at home and say, ‘I’m not going to do that,’ that’s great. But you’re not going to get any players either.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #84
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Former NHL GM Brian Lawton says that whoever signs Schultz will have to guarantee a roster position:
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...m-lawton-says/
Teams can say whatever they want, but is there any legal way for a player enforce that guarantee? I'm pretty sure that standard entry level contracts allow for players to be sent to the minors and scratched. What can he do if that happens?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #85
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Teams can say whatever they want, but is there any legal way for a player enforce that guarantee? I'm pretty sure that standard entry level contracts allow for players to be sent to the minors and scratched. What can he do if that happens?
That is true the ELC allows for demotions and legally Schultz can't do anything if a team decides to demote him.

However, he may request a trade, raise a stink in the media, etc. May also hamper a team's ability to sign free agents like this in the future, if they go back on their word.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #86
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The guy seems like a tool. Even if the Flames have a chance at signing him I hope they pass.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #87
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^Was gonna say, sounds like a self entitled POS.

Kid doesn't want to honor the team that drafted him, and now is demanding that he be guaranteed a roster spot?

Yikes. Lots of talent, but red flags personality wise.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #88
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I think Feaster and Weisbrod are trying to build a TEAM, not a bunch of individuals.

If we somehow land Schultz, he's going to have some serious growing up to do mentally.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #89
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That is true the ELC allows for demotions and legally Schultz can't do anything if a team decides to demote him.

However, he may request a trade, raise a stink in the media, etc. May also hamper a team's ability to sign free agents like this in the future, if they go back on their word.
I'm sure Feaster could word his promise in such a way that there would be an out.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #90
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

A guaranteed spot as a rookie? Lawton comes off as a bit of an idiot as well, saying a team won't get players if they don't guarantee roster spots. I'm sure the kid is a nice player, but I'm not a fan of stuff like this. Pass.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #91
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

what ties are there between Lawton and Schultz? The Edmonton paper just found a mouthpiece to give them a quote. I don't think Lawton is speaking for Schultz
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #92
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sounded to me like Lawton had some sort of inside info. Maybe I'm way off. His quote about not getting any players was pretty idiotic, though.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #93
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sounded to me like Lawton had some sort of inside info. Maybe I'm way off. His quote about not getting any players was pretty idiotic, though.
Is he saying won't get any players or won't get any players in a similar situation to Schultz?

He is pretty unique in his supposed talent and I doubt/can't remember that there will be.have been many guys like him.

I will say again I am confused why he wouldn't sign with Anaheim as they seem to be able to offer him decent playing time and a good team to play with.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #94
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I will say again I am confused why he wouldn't sign with Anaheim as they seem to be able to offer him decent playing time and a good team to play with.
Maybe he had a bad experience at Disneyland as a kid.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #95
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Maybe he had a bad experience at Disneyland as a kid.
Or maybe the mighty ducks movies ruined hockey for him?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #96
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

With all these parameters apparently being put into place, I'd venture a guess chances of signing him (Flames, that is) are next to nil (watching to much EuroCup!).