Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #1241
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

But guys...toxins!
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #1242
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 03-10-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #1243
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
But that begs the question, what products would you allow and why? Would you research every product yourself and make a judgement?
Is that really outlandish that a trained professional would have the capacity to understand and critically evaluate everything he was selling? That seems pretty standard, no?

Quote:
I think the current structure where you sell products allowed by your franchisee (and government oversight) is much more acceptable than you deciding yourself what you consider safe don't you?

Clearly.
I would disagree with that. Any shop owner should be allowed to sell what they want to sell. Why would it be better if it was mandated? Very strange...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #1244
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

So can someone actually explain what naturopath or homeopath means. The local health store has tons of homeopathic remedies and the people working there say they are useless. Little white balls in plastic containers that you don't touch with your hands... I see they have remedies for dozens of ailments but don't get what they actually are made from or what homeopathy is.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #1245
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Is that really outlandish that a trained professional would have the capacity to understand and critically evaluate everything he was selling? That seems pretty standard, no?
I don't know if it is standard practice but how can one person evaluate thousands of products and decide if they are safe to sell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
So can someone actually explain what naturopath or homeopath means. The local health store has tons of homeopathic remedies and the people working there say they are useless. Little white balls in plastic containers that you don't touch with your hands... I see they have remedies for dozens of ailments but don't get what they actually are made from or what homeopathy is.
Most of it I've seen is pure quackery. Hold this bottle while I press down on your arms if you get weak then we give it to you, or something. But let's not confuse that nonsense with natural substances that actually are helpful. Boswellia (frankincense) for example is effective for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.

The problem is people substitute professional advice and knowledge with their own prejudices or worse believe conspiracy theories at the peril of their children.

Last edited by zamler; 03-09-2016 at 09:15 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #1246
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

No I mean what are they actually made of, what makes their production process unique. I literally have no idea what are in those homepathic remedies, I'm aware of many basic remedies such as oranges and scurvy but simply don't have any idea what a homeopathic thing is made of.

They aren't pills, they are little spherical thingies that don't look at all like they were derived from food. I mean, beside the homeopath stuff there's Turmeric and Ginger and other food derived pills but the homeopathic ones stand out in the store as being anomalously not made from food or resembling it any way shape or form. The labels say the ailment they will cure and don't describe very well (or at all) what is actually in them or why they are all little opaque spheres.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #1247
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only water likely in a capsule. I know it sounds facetious to say only water, but there's literally only water plus the "memory" of some poisonous stuff
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #1248
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Homeopathy says that like cures like. In the most basic sense this has some truth but in reality it is far more complex and homeopathy makes no attempt to apply the treatments based on any science. But forget about homeopathy and don't use that as a term to lump all alternative and/or natural treatments in with bad science.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #1249
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if it is standard practice but how can one person evaluate thousands of products and decide if they are safe to sell?

Most of it I've seen is pure quackery. Hold this bottle while I press down on your arms if you get weak then we give it to you, or something. But let's not confuse that nonsense with natural substances that actually are helpful. Boswellia (frankincense) for example is effective for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.

The problem is people substitute professional advice and knowledge with their own prejudices or worse believe conspiracy theories at the peril of their children.
You just told a pharmacist that he should just sell whatever people want and not use his professional advice to determine what is appropriate.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #1250
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I don't think it sounds facetious it just doesn't make sense. In all I've never personally heard of a single person finding any benefit whatsoever from them and the people at the store that sells them even say they are useless. Kind of makes you wonder why they are even still around. Is it a new ager thing or something?

Personally I've found the most benefits from overloading on vegetables and fruits. Does the best at actually curing serious health issues.

Vaccines wise I'm curious (a pharmacist should know) how many infants are usually vaccinated these days? Percentage and or frequency. I find the subject fascinating and any actual science on the matter seems like something worth knowing about.

Last edited by AcGold; 03-09-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #1251
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I don't think it sounds facetious it just doesn't make sense. In all I've never personally heard of a single person finding any benefit whatsoever from them and the people at the store that sells them even say they are useless. Kind of makes you wonder why they are even still around. Is it a new ager thing or something?
It's counterculture. It's literally all that's in it.

A guy in 1796 invented it when we knew little about medicine. He figured "like cures like" (hence the Greek term homeopathy). He decided diseases are caused by miasms and could be treated with a substance that caused the same symptoms. People got sicker so he decided diluting these things would work. They are now so diluted that none of the original substance (not even a molecule) is left. However, because they've tapped the beaker on a leather bound book before each dilution, it's amplified the memory of the substance.

I made none of that up
Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #1252
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
You just told a pharmacist that he should just sell whatever people want and not use his professional advice to determine what is appropriate.
So if I have a prescription and my pharmacist is against that medication he should not sell it? Is that your stance?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #1253
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...-schedule.html

Article about rates:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...ine-rates.html

Also has some rates and targets:
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...trategy-07.pdf
Old 03-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #1254
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So if I have a prescription and my pharmacist is against that medication he should not sell it? Is that your stance?
That's far different than what I carry on my shelves out front. Pharmacists don't dispense homeopathic preparations
Old 03-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #1255
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
But that begs the question, what products would you allow and why?
Sorry it's a pet peeve. Begging the question is a logical fallacy which assumes the conclusion of the argument, it's a form of circular reasoning. When a point leads to another question, it's just raising the question or leads to a question, it doesn't beg the question.

As far as to what products to allow and why, IMO it's not that difficult to differentiate between products that have gone through the various levels of clinical trials and those that are sold with anecdotes on the website.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #1256
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's some grade A word twisting by zamler.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #1257
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If your Doctor doesn't prescribe you what you want him/her to prescribe, even if it does nothing for you, should he/she? Why even bother seeing a professional at all about anything?

Oh, and if you have a doctor that prescribes you a sugar pill for a cancer, you need a new ####ing Doctor. And you can bet your ass that I want a pharmacist that knows his #### when my life is on the line.

Last edited by RogerWilco; 03-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #1258
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Sorry it's a pet peeve.
Street Pharmacist probably has something to help you with that.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #1259
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Street Pharmacist probably has something to help you with that.
What the hell.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #1260
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
What the hell.
I asked what I genuinely feel are legit questions. Didn't get answers. I don't feel a pharmacist should be making judgements on what products to sell based mainly on moral principles. And using a term does not automatically make something a logical fallacy, hence my sarcastic response.