Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2022, 09:10 PM   #3261
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That rear quarter is a mess.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 09:15 PM   #3262
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

...what the #### is going on. Stop it, please.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:20 PM   #3263
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it comes to EVs, I'm pretty sold on the Rivians . I think we're about 15 years away from a proper ev sports car though.

Batteries have to advance a fair bit to extract the kind of durability and weight loss a sports car needs.

But to be fair I think Audi and Porsche have done pretty stellar work with what is available today.

I'm growing into an anti tesla person the more I see what the other indy EV makers are putting out.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:13 PM   #3264
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Why do they all feel like they've got to make pretend it's a coupe with fake lines and blackouts in the rear?

If you're going to have a massive 'grill' then that's not bad (mind you I don't mind the M4 either), but the weird nose.. beluga is appropriate lol.

I think I'd rather get a Lyriq over that.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:30 PM   #3265
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh it looks like an RX with cleaner lines to me. The top of the grill being body color is a little odd but no doubt an f sport trim will black it out.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:29 AM   #3266
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm getting Ford Probe vibes from the side view.
Looks more like a modern update on the old Subaru SVX to me.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #3267
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
2023 Lexus RX dropped today...

Not sure why of all the cars you'd choose to copy - that you'd chose the front end of a Civic... Baby Beluga lives....
Don't matter what it looks like, the RX will always sell in droves.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #3268
Terradude
Draft Pick

I was in the market for a new vehicle last year when my BMW X5 diesel started giving me grief, so I bought a 4Runner. Big mistake. I had one previously, a 1999, but this new one was a heavy beast. I can handle poor gas mileage if it performs, but this new one did neither.

So this last week I traded in the 4Runner and bought a Genesis GV70. What a vehicle.
Terradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #3269
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Tell us more about the GV70. From everything I've seen they look like pretty sweet machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That rear quarter is a mess.
Fixed.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #3270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So strange Toyota would copy what is the least desirable styling cue of the new Honda Civic. The sloping forehead bulge looks even worse above the predator grill.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #3271
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^Tell us more about the GV70. From everything I've seen they look like pretty sweet machines.

Fixed.
My wife loves hers. Pretty good value for the money as a well equipped version undercuts the Germans while feeling a little more upscale inside. Only downside is that fuel mileage is poor with both engines. I can't comment on reliability though as we haven't owned ours long enough.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #3272
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Not sure why of all the cars you'd choose to copy - that you'd chose the front end of a Civic... Baby Beluga lives....
The front of a Civic, the back of a Murano. What a hot mess.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #3273
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In fairness to Toyota, er, Lexus, the look is dictated by crash and pedestrian safety standards...

Doesn't make it any less ugly, but it's not entirely their fault.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #3274
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
In fairness to Toyota, er, Lexus, the look is dictated by crash and pedestrian safety standards...

Doesn't make it any less ugly, but it's not entirely their fault.
How does that explain every other automaker that meets crash and pedestrian safety standards without the beluga whale look? That's a conscious styling decision and nothing more.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #3275
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How does that explain every other automaker that meets crash and pedestrian safety standards without the beluga whale look? That's a conscious styling decision and nothing more.
There are standards to meet and each manufacturer has their own approach to how they're met within the brand's design language.

Toyota & Lexus' current design language is crap, but that's a problem that's exacerbated due to the standards they need to meet.

There are definitely better approaches (IMO the current MB styling is great), but the stub nose is more or less dictated by these regulations.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #3276
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
There are standards to meet and each manufacturer has their own approach to how they're met within the brand's design language.

Toyota & Lexus' current design language is crap, but that's a problem that's exacerbated due to the standards they need to meet.

There are definitely better approaches (IMO the current MB styling is great), but the stub nose is more or less dictated by these regulations.
Can supply evidence of this styling cue being dictated by regulations? No other automakers are using this approach on their new models to meet regulations. I'm probably the biggest car guy on this forum and have not heard of this.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:39 PM   #3277
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can supply evidence of this styling cue being dictated by regulations? No other automakers are using this approach on their new models to meet regulations. I'm probably the biggest car guy on this forum and have not heard of this.
If you say so...

Literally every SUV and truck has the blunt, stub nose... Most are better at integrating it into their design language than Lexus, but they all have it.

Let me Google that for you:

Quote:
Why Pedestrian Safety Is Ruining Car Design

These regulations are driven by a combination of fuel economy and pedestrian safety standards resulting in specific parameters for automotive design. In recent years, new car designs have seen a proliferation of blunt front ends, high hoods, and the “reverse teardrop” shape on many three-box (three separate compartments: engine, passenger, and cargo) vehicles.

Mark Adams, design chief for Opel/Vauxhall, claims: “In the last five to 10 years designing cars has gotten a hell of a lot tougher.”

With each successive year, the homogenization process has rolled forward, making each generation of cars look even more identical. The Mazda Miata is an example of a vehicle that began as a slick two-seat roaster that evolved into a shrunken version of all the other cars on the road with a swollen nose, rear, and beltline.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #3278
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Read as: If people like Cappy would stop getting hit by cars, they'd be prettier.

The cars that is, not people like Cappy.

TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #3279
Terradude
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Fixed.
The GV70 is a well designed vehicle. Inside it is very well put together, flowing lines, leather wrapped dash, good tech, excellent supportive seats.

I got a 2.5 prestige, so the base engine but in sport trim so it doesn’t have the 2 spoke steering wheel. I wasn’t too fussed by that but I’m glad I got the sport wheel.

I’m still in the break-in period so I haven’t really tested it but it is certainly better than the 4Runner for responsiveness. I’ve had a few BMW’s and this engine seems about as powerful as an older BMW N54 although it has more turbo lag. I think that the 2.5l is quite boosted but torque is right there when you need it.

Handling is excellent. It really is an excellent highway cruiser. Much more comfortable than my old BMW X3 M40i. That was scary fast but would jar your bones, even in comfort mode.

I am quite impressed with the fuel economy. I’m in Invermere right now and on the drive out I averaged better than 8 l/100km. That’s ok in my estimation. It should continue to improve out of the break in period until about 20k km or so. I’m sure mileage will suffer if I drive it hard but this has more than enough to make passing on 2 lane highways less of an adventure than it was in the 4Runner.

Time will tell about how reliable the GV70 will be but Genesis has been shown to build good cars. You can’t beat the price…it’s about 10 to 15k less than the equivalent BMW. I am very impressed on the sales process here. Log into the website and build your vehicle. No haggling, no BS. They even honoured their trade in estimate on my nearly new 4Runner months later, no questions.

I think you will be seeing more of these on the road. Genesis has a winner here.
Terradude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terradude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #3280
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terradude View Post
I am quite impressed with the fuel economy. I’m in Invermere right now and on the drive out I averaged better than 8 l/100km. That’s ok in my estimation.
Damn son, that's better than "okay" for a vehicle that big.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote