Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rangers invite Andrew Desjardins to camp on PTO

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017...ining-camp-pto

Quote:
Bobby Farnham isn’t the only NHL veteran joining the New York Rangers training camp on a PTO. Today Larry Brooks reported that the Blueshirts have invited former Chicago Blackhawk Andrew Desjardins to camp.

Desjardins had zero goals and one assist in 46 games with the Blackhawks last season. In 2015-16 he fared much better, scoring eight goals and five assists in 77 games. The year before Desjardins won a Cup with the Blackhawks in 2015 after being traded from the San Jose Sharks.

Desjardins is a fourth line center with very little offensive upside. He averaged only 9:24 TOI per game last season with the Blackhawks and is officially on the wrong side of 30. So why are the Rangers giving him a shot? He’s a career 53.5 percent faceoff man and a veteran of 408 regular season games. He’s also capable of playing every forward position. Sounds a lot like a candidate for the Rangers 13th forward.

It’s no secret that the Rangers are looking for answers down the middle. But the odds are stacked against the former Blackhawk earning a contract with the Rangers.

The problem is that Desjardins is branded as a physical defensive forward, but his shot suppression numbers nosedived last season. It’s worth mentioning that he missed significant time early last season after blocking a shot and being sidelined with a LBI. His analytics from the 2015-16 season were far better.

If nothing else, he will bring competition into camp and challenge Lias Andersson and Cristoval Nieves for a chance at making the team. He’s been around the block and knows his role.
Both these guys (especially Farnham) suck ass. Should be no more than training camp fodder. It would be a huge travesty to everything but themselves if either these two bums get an NHL job.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Teams like signing vets to PTO's so that they have bodies that meet the minimum game requirement for preseason games. If these guys really show something its icing on the cake and drives up competition.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There seems to be lots of borderline NHLers on PTOs every year. Nothing too surprising about a guy like Desjardins getting one.

I think every team signs terrible players to PTOs.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I wonder if we should have one thread dedicated to players like this one, borderline players that are not Flames PTOs. Or is it a little late for that?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I wonder if we should have one thread dedicated to players like this one, borderline players that are not Flames PTOs. Or is it a little late for that?
I think it's worth it. Not many of these players are thread-worthy, but its also nice to keep some track I suppose.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I think it's too late for that given the preseason is just around the corner.

Also, to me, any NHL team/player news is infinitely better than news about new arena or no new arena.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
There seems to be lots of borderline NHLers on PTOs every year. Nothing too surprising about a guy like Desjardins getting one.

I think every team signs terrible players to PTOs.
Oh yeah. I get that. And yeah, it's not surprising about a guy like Desjardins simply getting a PTO.

All I'm saying is that if a guy like Andrew Desjardins (or even more so Bobby Farnham) somehow gets an NHL spot out of their PTO it should be a serious disappointment to any fans of the Rags (or whichever team is stupid enough to give them an NHL job if that happens) and a travesty of justice to actually decent hockey players because of how no good those two are at NHL hockey.