Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #221
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
How long does it take you guys to fill the small kitchen bin? I think I go through at least one a week. Between coffee filters, napkins, food scraps, it fills up quick.
The small bin grey bin, I go through it at least once a day.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #222
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I observed my neighbor from across the street taking his dog to crap behind my garage, and putting the turds in my black bin. Why not use your own alley and bin? So rude.
The bins are owned by the city, so he's technically using a city bin to dispose of it.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #223
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you mow your lawn frequently enough why not just leave the clippings on the lawn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Yeah, seems crazy to spend money to turn water and fertilizer into grass, cut it and throw it away.
Valid point and probably worth considering. For now the answer lies with bagging it prevents the pets and kids from bringing it back into the house on their feet when they have been in the yard. So yeah, mainly an esthetic reason.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #224
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How long does it take you guys to fill the small kitchen bin? I think I go through at least one a week. Between coffee filters, napkins, food scraps, it fills up quick.
I filled that up at least once every two days. I encountered two problems, and solved both.

I already had a tall slim garbage can under my sink, the type that pulls out, and the small bin the city provided would have meant I would have had to remove the bin I already had.

And, at the present time, I could not find proper sized compostable bags for my existing bin under my sink in Calgary. All the stores said they thought they would be available in the future but at the present time, they stocked the small bags for the bin the city provided.

So I went on Amazon, found these, and they work great in my existing bin. A little big for my bin but not much.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by redforever; 09-19-2017 at 01:30 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #225
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People aren't using compost bags? Weird. I just picked up the ones that fit the kitchen bucket they gave us, I haven't had an issue with flies/stink/stuff sticking to the green bin.

I fill up the kitchen bucket frequent enough that it doesn't sit there and stink, in fact I think it stinks less than the garbage used to.
In my area, there are many multiplex and thus individuals share the bins. Someone in my unit started using their green bin and dumped grass clippings directly into his/her bin. I was wondering if people generally put a bag into that green bin.

Once I use my composting bin, I will probably empty it every 2-3 days. I've read a bit saying most compostable bags are not the type of stuff you want to have exposed to wetness for too long.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #226
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I don't get the smell issue, unless you aren't using bags. I used to put food scraps in the garage, which was under the sink, but not covered. Now they go into the compost bin that has a lid which seals it, so it should be better. Once they are in the big bins outside, there is no difference what colour they are in. The bins stink in the summer and not in the winter.

I find it usually takes me a week to fill the small bin, but I've been making an effort not to over-buy food and have waste. Sometimes it happens and then I fill it quicker.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #227
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Using a green bin makes you less of an Albertan
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #228
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yeah, I don't get the smell issue, unless you aren't using bags. I used to put food scraps in the garage, which was under the sink, but not covered. Now they go into the compost bin that has a lid which seals it, so it should be better. Once they are in the big bins outside, there is no difference what colour they are in. The bins stink in the summer and not in the winter.

I find it usually takes me a week to fill the small bin, but I've been making an effort not to over-buy food and have waste. Sometimes it happens and then I fill it quicker.
I doubt I will have as much for my green bin in winter. But in summer, you only have to husk a few corn cobs and the small pail the city gave is almost full. Also, I have some of my own veggies. If I clean up a head of my own lettuce, then I have more green waste that way as well...which I won't have in winter.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #229
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Using a green bin makes you less of an Albertan
Literally, what is the difference between using it and not?

Instead of tossing it in one bin, you're tossing it in another bin. Does it make any difference to a person?

It does help the farmers though. But I guess that has nothing to do with Alberta.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #230
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Literally, what is the difference between using it and not?
Freedom.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #231
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The garbage police are out to get you!

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/green-cart...able-1.3669385
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #232
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The garbage police are out to get you!

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/green-cart...able-1.3669385
The only people who pay those fines are the ones who don’t want to don’t want to spend the 5 minutes fighting them.

Unless they can show exactly who used the bin, it would be impossible to have these stand up to any sort of challenge.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #233
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

They haven't given out any tickets it's about notification and getting people to improve.

In winter they should reduce green bin pickup to once every two weeks
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #234
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how are diapers supposed to work? I assume they can't get composted so they get picked up every two weeks? Sounds like a smelly mess in the summer.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #235
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So how are diapers supposed to work? I assume they can't get composted so they get picked up every two weeks? Sounds like a smelly mess in the summer.
They go in the black bin. Smell was not an issue this summer for us.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #236
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Cat Owners: what are you using to scoop kitty litter into before putting it into your green bin?

I was about to use old Amazon boxes but realized that the box tape they use is plastic fiber reinforced.

Most of the compostable bag options can't see to take any weight, let alone the jagged edges of a clump.

Paper grocery bags would seem to be ideal but I can't seem to get any. Will Safeway / Coop bag in paper bags if asked? Buying paper grocery bags seems to be impossible, unless in lots of 500.
Costco has the full size green bin liners. I've been using them in a 5 gallon pail, when full tie it up, walk the bucket out and dump it in the bin. It holds together well enough for that process.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #237
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone else feel like they could drop compost pickup to once every two weeks? We're composting everything we can and we still barely have half a bin on pickup day. Mind you, we're only a family of 3, with the third being a toddler.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #238
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the black cart was reduced to pickup every two weeks, has the user cost of that also been reduced? I'm too lazy to dig out my old Enmax bills to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In winter they should reduce green bin pickup to once every two weeks
Agreed. I read that weekly pickup was necessary for compostable material, but in the winter there are no fruit flies or bad smells -- everything just freezes.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #239
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Since the black cart was reduced to pickup every two weeks, has the user cost of that also been reduced? I'm too lazy to dig out my old Enmax bills to compare.
Nope.

Nov 2016
Recycle - $8.10/month
Waste - $4.90/month

Nov 2017
Recycle - $8.30/month
Waste - $4.90/month

That said, we haven't started paying for the green car so maybe they'll adjust it then?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #240
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked it up -- apparently the $4.90 per month is just for processing the garbage, not to collect it?

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...ollection.aspx

Quote:
How much is the Black Cart Collection Fee?

Households with black carts are charged monthly on their utility bill (ENMAX). The Waste Management Service Charge is mandatory if your household is eligible. This charge covers the costs associated with disposing and managing residential garbage at The City's three landfills. It does not cover the cost of pick-up, which is supported by your property taxes.
It also shows the $4.90 as the rate for "2015-2018" so hopefully they'll adjust it if they truly are processing less garbage.

I was hoping they would cut my cost in half because pickups were cut in half
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote