Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #721
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Interesting that you didn't mention Anderson. Which I think is partially because he's been pretty steady back there and not at all flashy. I do like his game though and he seems to have some hockey IQ. Think he could be a real good player.
If I were to say any of the kid D men as a lock to make the roster right this second it's Andersson. He's been so steady throughout the tournament and preseason. Sound play in every aspect.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #722
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Other teams are using the preseason to evaluate players, establish chemistry, line combinations and be ready for opening night.

If the Flames are using preseason to learn the system and not get injured then that's on Gulutzan. Very unproductive preseason last year, same thing so far this year.
Do you believe the Flames are not evaluating players? Do you think they are not establishing chemistry? Do you think they are not trying line combinations?

You are simply making things up in order to rag on Gulutzan. The Flames are doing the exact same things that every other team is doing. Yes, last year was an issue, but there were multiple reasons why. This season is much more normal.

The fact that the team has played pretty flat so far is not on Gulutzan.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #723
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If I were to say any of the kid D men as a lock to make the roster right this second it's Andersson. He's been so steady throughout the tournament and preseason. Sound play in every aspect.
Yeah, but as mentioned, as a RD, he's not gonna play above Stone, Hamilton, or Hamonic. No point sticking him in the pressbox if those three are healthy.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #724
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh my god are there seriously FLAMES fans in 2017 who still put ANY value at all on preseason? Especially the initial games of Preseason?

Good gracious. The board battles?

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #725
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Interesting that you didn't mention Anderson. Which I think is partially because he's been pretty steady back there and not at all flashy. I do like his game though and he seems to have some hockey IQ. Think he could be a real good player.
I was thinking that after reading some other opinions too. The fact he wasn’t noticeable is a good thing in a game like that. Steady.

It would be cool if a couple of D earned spots this year and relegated Stone to the press box and BART right out of the system.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #726
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Do you believe the Flames are not evaluating players? Do you think they are not establishing chemistry? Do you think they are not trying line combinations?

You are simply making things up in order to rag on Gulutzan. The Flames are doing the exact same things that every other team is doing. Yes, last year was an issue, but there were multiple reasons why. This season is much more normal.

The fact that the team has played pretty flat so far is not on Gulutzan.
Not ragging on Gulutzan, ragging on the excuse makers. In the Oilers game thread the spin was that veterans don't have to give 100% in pre season and the most important thing is to not get injured. Well if that's the goal, big checkmarks on both. In the Canucks game thread there are people suggesting that players have to learn the system. Didn't we already use that one for three months last year? Might as well bring back "Wideman effect".
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #727
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Not ragging on Gulutzan, ragging on the excuse makers. In the Oilers game thread the spin was that veterans don't have to give 100% in pre season and the most important thing is to not get injured. Well if that's the goal, big checkmarks on both. In the Canucks game thread there are people suggesting that players have to learn the system. Didn't we already use that one for three months last year? Might as well bring back "Wideman effect".
Which made it totally reasonable for you to assert the Flames aren't using their camp for evaluation and that - unlike Calgary - other teams are using training camp to "establish chemistry, line combinations and be ready for opening night"

A completely logical leap to make.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #728
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To be fair, the vets did play like they were dipping their toes into the water and didn't want to get hurt or try to do too much, and in the most recent game it was largely rookies and pro tryout players that came in with little familiarity with GG and how he wants his team to play. And as you said, it was 2 or 3 months before the regulars got the hang of it, so..

Let's see how things progress over the final games once the squad has been trimmed down to the final group, more or less.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 AM   #729
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Yeah, but as mentioned, as a RD, he's not gonna play above Stone, Hamilton, or Hamonic. No point sticking him in the pressbox if those three are healthy.
However if he's clearly the 6th best dman in camp it may force Gulutzan to ice a RHD-RHD 3rd pairing. Be interesting to see how the rest of the games go.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #730
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
However if he's clearly the 6th best dman in camp it may force Gulutzan to ice a RHD-RHD 3rd pairing. Be interesting to see how the rest of the games go.
I agree. If GG goes against his preference for LH/RH it's gonna be on a pairing that sees limited ice time. IMO Andersson seems to have the most polish to his game, more than Kulak who seems more nervous and more than Kylington, who can try too hard for a flashy play sometimes. I haven't seen Wotherspoon this year. I think Valimaki looks fine but he's easiest to cut.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #731
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rasmus is a very interesting player. I remember when he came into camp out of shape after he was drafted and thinking to myself, if he just played that well out of shape, he will be an nhler once he figures out how to take care of his body
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote