Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #421
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I now beleive he will get 5 x 5.

Wizard sauce
That contract sucks
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #422
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The longer this goes on, the more I think that it is about the quality of Sam Bennett's line mates. The contract that Sam Bennett should get should be a bridge deal, something like $3.5 Million for 3 Years would be good for both sides (a show me deal) but there is more to this.

Bennett's side is probably saying that there is no way that he is carrying around useless 4th liners, that will bring him down. And the Flames are probably saying, there are no guarantees of that.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #423
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
The longer this goes on, the more I think that it is about the quality of Sam Bennett's line mates. The contract that Sam Bennett should get should be a bridge deal, something like $3.5 Million for 3 Years would be good for both sides (a show me deal) but there is more to this.

Bennett's side is probably saying that there is no way that he is carrying around useless 4th liners, that will bring him down. And the Flames are probably saying, there are no guarantees of that.
that or the delay is just on the length of the deal.
I'm thinking what would be fair is 3 years, 10 million.
2 mil for year one
3.5 for year two
4.5 for year 3
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #424
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it's pretty obvious that Treliving is the one delaying things. Bennett's camp isn't raising their asking price as the off-season goes on. Treliving has showed last year that he has no problem taking his time with negotiations. I bet he has multiple offers on the table for Bennett to choose from. Something like 2x2 3x2.5 and 8x5m

Bennett might be waiting to see if the offer goes up. But it won't. Treliving has shown that he won't damage this teams long term cap situation, when he played hardball with Johnny. I also think he lowered Bennett's leverage by buying out Bouma and that helped with Ferland negotiations and now this one. It will get done, Tre knows Bennett is way too competitive to miss out on hockey. I'm not worried and am actually excited to see the final numbers.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #425
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Treliving is the one delaying things. Bennett's camp isn't raising their asking price as the off-season goes on. Treliving has showed last year that he has no problem taking his time with negotiations. I bet he has multiple offers on the table for Bennett to choose from. Something like 2x2 3x2.5 and 8x5m

Bennett might be waiting to see if the offer goes up. But it won't. Treliving has shown that he won't damage this teams long term cap situation, when he played hardball with Johnny. I also think he lowered Bennett's leverage by buying out Bouma and that helped with Ferland negotiations and now this one. It will get done, Tre knows Bennett is way too competitive to miss out on hockey. I'm not worried and am actually excited to see the final numbers.

Treliving in my opinion screwed up substantially by forcing Gaudreau to stick with the Gio cap and therefore only get a 6 year deal. The talk was all Treliving had to do to get the 8 years was match the Tarasenko deal and for a measly $750k per the Flames have Gaudreau cost controlled for another 2 years.

Perhaps Treliving gets the cap number right where he wants it but is forced to take a 2 year deal. In 2 years the Flames would have to sign Tkachuk, Bennett and a number 1 goalie. There are not a lot of deals with only 2 years left outside those 3 players. Losing one of Bennett or Tkachuk is a possibility at that time.

If Treliving can get him on a 3 year deal would have Bennett, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Brouwer, Frolik all expiring. Let the last 3 walk and use that much net to sign the first 3.

Now I am also a believer that Stone and or Frolik will be moved before their court tracts expire to recoup a 2nd rounder or 2 that are gone. If something happens and those games layers regress and become unmovable like Brouwer the Flames could be squeezed right for cap space at a time they need to re-sign their youngest building blocks.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #426
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Treliving in my opinion screwed up substantially by forcing Gaudreau to stick with the Gio cap and therefore only get a 6 year deal. The talk was all Treliving had to do to get the 8 years was match the Tarasenko deal and for a measly $750k per the Flames have Gaudreau cost controlled for another 2 years.

Perhaps Treliving gets the cap number right where he wants it but is forced to take a 2 year deal. In 2 years the Flames would have to sign Tkachuk, Bennett and a number 1 goalie. There are not a lot of deals with only 2 years left outside those 3 players. Losing one of Bennett or Tkachuk is a possibility at that time.

If Treliving can get him on a 3 year deal would have Bennett, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone, Brouwer, Frolik all expiring. Let the last 3 walk and use that much net to sign the first 3.

Now I am also a believer that Stone and or Frolik will be moved before their court tracts expire to recoup a 2nd rounder or 2 that are gone. If something happens and those games layers regress and become unmovable like Brouwer the Flames could be squeezed right for cap space at a time they need to re-sign their youngest building blocks.
Way to early to say the length of Gaudreau's contract was a mistake. Gaudreau's best years will come under this contract. At the end of the contract, his play might drop off and you might be happy the Flames aren't stuck with two more years a $7.5. Many 8 year deals look good at the start but look like albatrosses near the end.

I doubt Frolik is traded before his contract is done, but I do see Stone being traded as early as next off-season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #427
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Closest comparible is Ryan Strome who had more points but had the Tavares bump, he got a 2x2.5.
If Flames want the third year and guve him a decent bump both sides should be happy.

Y1 2M
Y2 3M
Y3 5M
3 x 3.33

Obviously signed its more like 3, 3.33, 3.67 to help with the threat of arb.

I dont know, what am i missing?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #428
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like this is the week that Tre announces the Bennett contract. hoping so anyway.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #429
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
·
5m
Still a sizable gap in contract talks between the Flames and Sam Bennett. Possibility Bennett heads overseas until a deal in Calgary is done
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #430
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
·
5m
Still a sizable gap in contract talks between the Flames and Sam Bennett. Possibility Bennett heads overseas until a deal in Calgary is done
If the end result is another player like Gio, I am all for it....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #431
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If the end result is another player like Gio, I am all for it....
Arrogant Mark Giordano. Good Riddance.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #432
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
I think so those options are too high. Bennett has proven nothing to suggest he should get more than 2 million on a 2 year deal.

My guess is 2 years at 1.75 per year.
Came to shamelessly quote my own prediction. While not entirely accurate on the number. I knew it would be worth less then 2 mil per year.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #433
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I voted for 2 years $4M.

I have come to collect my trophy.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #434
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I voted for 2 years $4M.

I have come to collect my trophy.
I believe there are 49 of us who are always right.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #435
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My post from August 12 in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I think It's a short term deal. 1x1.75-9 2x1.9-2.1. I just can't see him having any leverage to ask for more.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #436
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Congrats to the 49 who called the two year deal. There were 319 of us on the two year option who underestimated Trelivings' Scrooginess!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #437
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

When Treliving has to negotiate Bennett and Tkachuk in two years, he's going to be able to point to Gio, Johnny and Monahan as players who took less than $7M.

Bennett and Tkachuk have to be the two best players on the team to get north of $7M on their next deals. Which is great for us if that happens, but I don't see either being able to do enough to say they deserve more than Johnny or Gio.

Treliving may have given up two years of control on Johnny, but he also protected his cap from our next wave of contracts.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #438
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Congrats to the 49 who called the two year deal. There were 319 of us on the two year option who underestimated Trelivings' Scrooginess!
Funny how that number is now 51.
I wonder if those 2 voters feel clever voting post facto
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #439
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well played, my friend.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #440
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always nice when the contract ends up being cheaper than the cheapest option on the poll.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote