Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I highly recommend The East Hastings Street/Main Street area. Unbelievable old style architecture, and very 'vibrant. locals. Really immerses you in the true Vancouverite culture.

You can thank me later.
You mean drunken bearded hipsters staggering from bistro bar to chacoutreie style tapas bars before heading off to a club to hear the latest EDM while on their weekender from Calgary? All the while calling their friends constantly to say 'dude, I'm wearing a t shirt!, it's October!'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Grouse grind is very similar to prairie mountain in the elbow valley. It certainly isn't Johnsston canyon. It's a real hike but worth spending an afternoon on.
If this is true then take the gondola up.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #23
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Grind is not an enjoyable hike, but a great test of fitness. I try to beat my time every time but I have capped out I think. If you don't stink too much, try the nachos after checking out the grizzlies; huge portion.

There's a ton of good hikes better than the Grind though. You could try the Chief in Squamish. It's moderately difficult for the first 45 minutes, but gets easier after that. It can be a little busy but it's got a bit of everything: stairs, mulch, boulders, and chains and ladders to climb on. The view of the Sound at the top is stunning. Although, I believe it is supposed to rain this weekend.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #24
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

Going to Vancouver in a couple weeks for our anniversary and to visit some friends. Can anyone recommend a really nice restaurant with decent views (English Bay, city, whatever) and great food? We're doing the whole trip pretty cheap, so for our anniversary dinner we don't mind spending a bit of cash.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #25
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miku. Call for a reservation and ask for a window seat. Ensure you order the Miku Roll. The Red Wave Roll is also delicious. It's pricy, but worth it.

Seasons in the Park. When making the reso, ask for the patio. Valet your car if you'll be there more than an hour. It's cheaper than paying to park on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #26
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Bump.

Going to Vancouver in a couple weeks for our anniversary and to visit some friends. Can anyone recommend a really nice restaurant with decent views (English Bay, city, whatever) and great food? We're doing the whole trip pretty cheap, so for our anniversary dinner we don't mind spending a bit of cash.
I've lived here for about a year and would say Cardero's is one the best places in the city. Great views, great service, great food and you can walk it off along the sea wall afterwards. Definitely a 'Go to' place.

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/menus/dinner

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #27
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ambleside Park in North Vancouver often times gets overlooked by the bigger touristy things. It's very beautiful in it's own right.

I used to like taking walks along there with the missus, and you get great views of downtown, the harbor and Stanley Park.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Bump.

The Boathouse in Port Moody or in Vancouver. Both have good views, and excellent food. Not cheap, but not the priciest thing ever either.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #29
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The Boathouse in Port Moody or in Vancouver. Both have good views, and excellent food. Not cheap, but not the priciest thing ever either.

They are the Dennys of seafood restaurants. There are so many better places to eat in Vancouver. Dockside, Sandbar, Rodney's, Provence, Blue Water (owned by canucks, so I avoid now), Fish Shack, and about 100 different sushi places.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #30
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree. Boathouse has a nice view of English bay. Average food.

I like Cardero's if you can get a window seat.

Also, if the weather's nice ... hard to beat The Mill patio for the view. I usually bring my out of town friends there on a sunny day. Nothing fancy, just pub food. But the view is fantastic.

http://www.millbistro.ca/
Old 09-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #31
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I agree. Boathouse has a nice view of English bay. Average food.

I like Cardero's if you can get a window seat.

Also, if the weather's nice ... hard to beat The Mill patio for the view. I usually bring my out of town friends there on a sunny day. Nothing fancy, just pub food. But the view is fantastic.

http://www.millbistro.ca/
Great spot. I'm going to head to the Mill for lunch today.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #32
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is the Top of Vancouver restaurant at the Harbour Centre, because you know, food tastes better when you're revolving.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #33
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool, thanks for the ideas!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #34
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
I've lived here for about a year and would say Cardero's is one the best places in the city. Great views, great service, great food and you can walk it off along the sea wall afterwards. Definitely a 'Go to' place.

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/menus/dinner
I used to recommend Carderos for the location until I found out they don't even serve Pacific salmon, their salmon is Atlantic, that's a big strike for a Vancouver restaurant for me.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #35
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Cardero's food is average (think Earls) but their location is awesome, service is good, and atmosphere is laid back. One of my favorite chilling patios in Van.

Some other recommendations:

Sushi - Sakana in Yaletown or Kishimoto on the Drive.
Beer - Alibi Room in the DTES, or any of the breweries in town (Parallel 49 is strong, Main Street has ready access to several)
Wine - Check out Urban Winery in the DTES, one of Vancouvers best kept secrets
Nature - the seawall and Stanley park are all you really need. The beaches at Spanish Banks are great, and the view from Grouse is awesome. Lots of nearby day hikes near the Lions or up in Squamish or Lynn Canyon.
Fishy stuff - Granville Island and Steveston.
Night life - Granville street if you're young (though the Roxy is all ages fun), Yaletown if you're a bit older or more dressy, Commercial Drive if you're a laid back beer drinker.
Getting around - bring a bike if you can. The whole city can be explored in a day.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #36
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post

They are the Dennys of seafood restaurants. There are so many better places to eat in Vancouver. Dockside, Sandbar, Rodney's, Provence, Blue Water (owned by canucks, so I avoid now), Fish Shack, and about 100 different sushi places.
I'll second Dockside. It's at the Granville Island Hotel on the east edge of Granville Island. I've been at the Sandbar before - we were pretty much ignored by the waiting staff for the first 10 minutes. Their outdoor patio is right underneath the bridge so it tends to be shady and noisy, and it wouldn't surprise me if the pigeons who nest under the bridge add a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to the food from time to time. Dockside's patio is more removed from Granville's Island's foot traffic and I find it more relaxing.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a table for the view, go to Lift in Coal Harbour. Assuming it still exists.

As for sushi, Tojo's omakase still wins, from where I sit. For Japanese more generally, do Miku, down by the water. The aburi thing isn't my favourite (still good but I like the traditional prep), but on the whole their menu is top notch.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-11-2015 at 02:07 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #38
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'd also suggest the Izakaya restaurants for good Japanese, but on a bit more of a budget. Some good suggestions in here, but places like Tojo's will run you $150-200 a head.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #39
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like Trolls's in Horseshoe Bay for breakfast or a nice fish and chips. Not for the anniversary dinner but for a nice morning/afternoon.

Lots of great suggestions in here though. Boat house is fine but it is just the Keg.

Can't remember the name but there is a great restaurant in the Fairmont (Hotel Vancouver) and I had a great evening in the bar/restaurant at the top of the hotel. Top notch service and food.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #40
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone else recommend a good place for tasty fish and chips on the dock or harbour? Preferably fresh caught bc fish.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote