Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Renovations

Hey Travis. I am hoping to get a bit of advice on a couple of questions regarding doing a home renovation.

We had a problem with a dishwasher that wrecked our hardwood and lower cabinets. They are currently useable but we are getting them fixed.

We are also planning some other renovations at the same time and would like your thoughts.

First, we are considering taking the fireplace out of the living room. We don't use it and would like to use the space it take up. However, my wife is concerned that the re-sale will be negatively affected without a fireplace. Do you have any thoughts on that? Also, what about an electric fireplace instead of a gas one? Are they considered just cheap or would this be a decent alternative?

Also, how much could should we expect to get out of a renovation? I know that is a tough question but if we put $45k into a kitchen reno, could we expect to raise our sale price by $25k? $20k?

We are in McKenzie Towne and our house is worth about $400 right now. The same floorplan sold for $415 with minimal "upgrades". We think it would make is sell easier but not sure about the actual price bump.

Any thoughts you may have would be appreciated. If more details would help let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

message me your address and Ill have a quick look at it.
As for the fireplace...I rarely hear people complain about a home not having one. Its almost as if they went from deal breakers for some people to just "nice" to have but no big deal!
If your more comfortable without one then I would ditch it!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post: