Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #101
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Gateway system will play moview from a memory stick like a media player?
I'd be pretty surprised. Shaw typically locks down the other available ports on their devices.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #102
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are supposed to be adding dnla support...
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
What is that exactly for someone (Me obviously) with very limited Tech knowledge?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #104
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
So my Motorola is now on the fritz - 5 years old, and that sucker was HOT on top when I pulled it towards me to give it a hard reset. One of these days I think the thing is just going to mail it in....

Are the new Shaw Gateways now usable, and have enough bugs been worked out? Do I have to have Shaw install it, or can I just pick one up myself?
Ya I admit, when I first got the gateway in July it had minor annoyances. However after 3 months with it I won't go back. Never use the guide anymore.

Also, it has gotten much more stable since then. Only once has a recording messed up on me. I also don't notice the bugs that used to be there.

Now if only they can get their CS and Billing depts working properly, they will be back to where they were 2 years ago.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #105
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
The installer who installed mine said that plans were for the system to connect to your network and allow you to play media files from your computer. This is one of the things I am looking forward to. Now, how long before this happens and exactly how it would work remains to be seen, but it would be an amazing feature.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #106
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As an existing Shaw customer are there any deals to be had to switch to the Gateway. I have three tv's and two HDPVR's

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #107
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
As an existing Shaw customer are there any deals to be had to switch to the Gateway. I have three tv's and two HDPVR's

Nope and they are being complete dinks about it. I moved on Sept 1 and when I tried to get the deal (gateway system, 3 year price guarentee, internet, home phone, hd channels for 99/month) they told me no. I cancelled my deal with them. Luckily my gf did not have a previous shaw account called and we got the deal with her as the person on the account now.

So far I am still not sold that it is any better. The huge upgrades for me were the bigger pvr (500gb vs 160gb) and the ability to have HD on the bedroom TV and access the recordings on that TV as well. I do think the reason I am upset though has to do with the internet not really working and the fact I have not been able to get a hold of shaw for 3 days to get it fixed.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #108
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nope, I tried. I spoke with account retentions. I didn't feeling like negotiating, which is odd for me. Just mentioned that Telus made an offer (which Telus can't honor cause Optik TV isn't available in my building, at least for 3 TVs). But we did steamline my package and add Broadband 50 and I am paying less then before.

GreatWhiteEbola is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #109
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are any of you Gateway peeps using/used Slingbox HD? I'm having the Gateway system installed Sunday and am wondering if the Slingbox would be a good addition.

Slingbox usage would be for watching Flames Games in HD on inlaws Tv in Invermere through laptop.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #110
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got the Gateway installed on Saturday. The tech that came out did a great job, was super friendly and the gateway is pretty cool.

I'm even more excited for the features that are not enabled yet, like DNLA streaming, but are supposed to be coming soon.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #111
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

My internet has not worked well and the gateway has had to be reset 2x in the 2 weeks I have had this system. I get a notification that I am not subscribing to channels and don't have the internet to trouble shoot with Shaw and have to wait 2-4 hous to hear back from them. VERY FRUSTRATING
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #112
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should I be thinking of buying a new wireless router ahead of the install guys coming on Sunday?

What are the minimum requirements I should be looking for in my existing modem to ensure it is good enough for the new speeds?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #113
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chances are your existing router will be ok for a Slingbox connection. Speedwise, there is no way your router would be a bottleneck in that connection. Other than that, all you really need is the ability to forward ports, which most routers do.

Check the slingbox site to understand more.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #114
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When you guys got the promo install did you have to give the installer the flyer? When I called last night they said I had to give the flyer but obviously I don't have one. Do you think the installer wouldn't do the job if I don't present it?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #115
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell him your kid ran off with it.

No way that installer goes home without getting paid after going all that way.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #116
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That is what I figured would happen wife is going to book the install tonight
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #117
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gateway is being installed on wednesday! Are there any tips I need for the install? I don't want to use their router so I have to have them set it up in bridge mode correct? Also I have some PVR boxes I would like to trade in for portals but they are under my name not my wifes who signed up for the service should I wait until after the install to get them traded in?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #118
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Gateway is being installed on wednesday! Are there any tips I need for the install? I don't want to use their router so I have to have them set it up in bridge mode correct? Also I have some PVR boxes I would like to trade in for portals but they are under my name not my wifes who signed up for the service should I wait until after the install to get them traded in?
Shaw is coming this morning. Can someone explain "Bridging" to me in respect to Routers? Why should I ask for this?

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #119
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Shaw is coming this morning. Can someone explain "Bridging" to me in respect to Routers? Why should I ask for this?

Thanks,
Bridging the Shaw modem is basically turning off the built in wifi on the modem they give you when you sign up. The only time you should turn this off is either if you do not want wifi, or you have a wifi router that is better than the built in one.

For example, I have a dual band router that is better than the single band router that is built into the modem. Other than that need, if you get the new Cisco modem/router you probably will be fine. No need to ask them to bridge.

In any case you will need to call in to Tech support for them to do this.

Last edited by OldDutch; 10-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #120
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The reason I am looking to do it is that I use usvideo.org so I can subscribe to US stuff. My last shaw router/modem combo they gave me I was not able to set it up and its wifi sucked compared to my dlink 655. I guess I will see on wednesday