Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The one that I agree with for sure is space for tall people in airplanes.
It's ridiculous how small the space between seats is for people taller than 6'0" on an airplane, and you just have no chance if you're 6'4" or taller.
I find it funny that airplanes have regulations that pets must be able to fully sit, stand, and turnaround in the crate for air travel, when the majority of human passengers can't stand and turnaround in the area allocated for them in their seat.
It seems the population, in general, has become a little taller in the past few decades. Either that, of lots of people 6'-tall and taller are all traveling at the exact same time I am.

I am 6'-tall and I always have deep red marks on my knees from metal seat frame in front of me each and every time I have to seat in a regularly-spaced seating row. One of my perennial travel aggravations. Those who designed economy class seating should be sentenced to sit in them for 8 hours each and every day for the rest of their miserable lives, m...kers...
Old 03-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #22
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not tall and I can't count how many times as a younger dude I got the "he's cute but short" comment.
Yeah, I've gotten this a number of times as well. You also see it in online dating where girls will specifically put in their profiles that they won't date guys under 6'. In one sense, it's nice that the truly superficial remove themselves for you, but the attitude definitely exists.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

You don't play in the NBA, you don't get preferential treatment!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I've gotten this a number of times as well. You also see it in online dating where girls will specifically put in their profiles that they won't date guys under 6'. In one sense, it's nice that the truly superficial remove themselves for you, but the attitude definitely exists.
That was the story of my life hanging around a group of dudes that were all between 6 feet and 6'5" tall always being the short guy in the group. I've been out of the dating game forever but my brother who's 5'10" tells me exactly as you say that he gets turned down because of his height. Being tall is probably the single biggest advantage any male can have in the dating game. I can understand that if the girl is tall but when it's an average height woman it does seem pretty superficial as long as we aren't talking really short.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #25
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even with all the comfort issues of being tall, the near universal preference women have for tall men alone makes up for it. So i'm happy to make sure there's always room to squeeze in front of me at shows, I'll grab whatever you need off the top shelf and ultimately accept that I must suffer my discomfort in silence, because no non-tall people want to hear about how much it sucks being tall.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Define "tall".

Greater than/equal to the OP's height, I presume.

The problem with enacting any changes is that there are enough tallish people that would qualify that you're goining to end up with some not being accommodated at all - and also, what exactly are you supposed to do on an airplane with your family or friends that you're travelling with? Upgrade everybody in the family to seats with extra legroom?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #27
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think when people drive anywhere, the tallest person should automatically get shotgun. When flying, a tall person should be given more legroom. Thankfully, newer movie theaters now offer a lot of space (they didn't always), but in the same way we have handicap seating in venues like that, there should be mandated tall-person seating in venues as well.

I don't think shorter people appreciate how difficult, uncomfortable and potentially dangerous cramming a tall person into a backseat can be. Anecdotally, I've noticed considerate people are quick to offer a larger space (such as a front seat) to taller people, but dopes, bitches and a-holes don't care about accommodating a larger person in a way that uses the space best for everyone.

I think it's viewed negatively to stand up for your right to comfort as a tall person, but I hope more people make themselves aware of compounding the discomfort for a tall person when it's unnecessary by selfishly taking up more space than they require at the expense of a taller person's comfort.

With all of our awareness growing about accommodating disabilities, some focus needs to be placed on tall people and things we can do to make everyday life more comfortable and welcoming for them as well.

This article does a good job touching on the issue: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/10/14...ant/index.html.

From the article:

That's insane. I've been on flights where my femur is longer than the space available in my seat and the back of the seat in front of me.
I'll support you in this if you offer some support to making this world safer for left handed people.

a little quid pro quo
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'll support you in this if you offer some support to making this world safer for left handed people.

a little quid pro quo
As a left hander I find I have adapted to pretty well everything learning how to catch with my right hand for baseball as well as catching left handed to play goaltender in hockey. I never really notice much in the way of issues with anything but one thing that is a bummer is that newer cars give you the ability to write letters on the rotating wheel or pad in the center console and I just can't for the life of me with my right hand make the rounded letters properly on those things so those functions are kind of useless to me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #29
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a left hander I find I have adapted to pretty well everything learning how to catch with my right hand for baseball as well as catching left handed to play goaltender in hockey. I never really notice much in the way of issues with anything but one thing that is a bummer is that newer cars give you the ability to write letters on the rotating wheel or pad in the center console and I just can't for the life of me with my right hand make the rounded letters properly on those things so those functions are kind of useless to me.
Ah! Freak! Get away!
Old 03-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #30
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a left hander I find I have adapted to pretty well everything learning how to catch with my right hand for baseball as well as catching left handed to play goaltender in hockey. One thing that is a bummer is that newer cars give you the ability to write letters on the rotating wheel or pad in the center console and I just can't for the life of me with my right hand make the rounded letters properly on those things.
things like scissors and kitchen utensils (like a gravy ladle) that get me.

and tools. makers of tools don't care about the safety of left handed people.

lefties have it tougher than tall people.

try going to another country as a left handed person, and having to remember to attempt to do everything with your right hand as the left hand is for wiping your butt and therefore unclean.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #31
Mista_Incognito
Backup Goalie

Exp:

"If he ain't 511 you're allowed to spray him with raid", tall person elitist are out of control these day.
Mista_Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Small people are treated unfairly on Tinder.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Now, the Dutch are the tallest group of people on Earth.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tall people get treated way better then they should be. I mean frankly, they're genetic freaks. Yet all of the best stuff is put on top shelves far out of reach of normal people.

There's a whole sport built around catering to their self interest.

In fact normal sized humans have a dough time in any sports.

Look at wrestling, how long did it take to get away from the 6'6 inch super monster and not give us normals a chance.

Frankly they tend to burn up more oxygen, block our views in theatres, screw us up when they borrow out cars.

Frankly the only thing they're good for is assisting smaller old woman in getting the top row items and cracking jokes about dealing with shorties.

Screw tall people man . . . screw them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #35
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Tall people get treated way better then they should be. I mean frankly, they're genetic freaks. Yet all of the best stuff is put on top shelves far out of reach of normal people.

There's a whole sport built around catering to their self interest.

In fact normal sized humans have a dough time in any sports.

Look at wrestling, how long did it take to get away from the 6'6 inch super monster and not give us normals a chance.

Frankly they tend to burn up more oxygen, block our views in theatres, screw us up when they borrow out cars.

Frankly the only thing they're good for is assisting smaller old woman in getting the top row items and cracking jokes about dealing with shorties.

I agree. Tall people really are an environmental disaster. Sit down, tall people. . . somewhere in the back.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #36
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What about those with big penises? Magnums are more expensive than regular condoms. When do we get our parade?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #37
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of tall. Whatever happened to Hulk Rogan? I don't see him posting anymore.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tall men don't get small man syndrome.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #39
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a tall white right-handed male is fantastic.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I had a buddy that was 5'8" and that is all he wanted to do, every time we went to the bar he would pull a 6' or taller girl.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tall