Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I understand the elderly parent issue. After my Mom passed away, I am flying back and forth a lot to Calgary to be with my Dad, help with taxes, administrative stuff etc. Luckily you can do a lot of stuff remotely now, and we facetime a lot, but I know it means a lot for him to have personal visits.

And troubleshooting his computer problems from 2,000 miles away is tricky

Best thing that I did was change his account to a child account so that he can't just click yes anytime something pops up that wants to make a change or download.

Of course he was pissed at first when he had to call me for my admin password and I wouldn't give it to him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #22
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard Panama is a good place to go, or at least it was a few years ago. One guy on my beer league team retired there. But I do like the ideas I see here of changing locations each year and spending some time in different places. That sounds really cool.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure I would risk being able to travel to the USA by working on a tourist visa. But that might just be me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The other thing to worry about is if you're living in a country with more favourable taxes, you have to prove that you're a non-resident of Canada which is difficult if you own property and still spend a decent amount of time in Canada. Otherwise, you'll have to pay Canadian taxes on top of your US taxes (you can't get taxed double but if the Canadian taxes are more, you need to top it up).
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #25
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I worked in the USA for close to 3 years ... keep in mind if you want a have a bank account there you will need a US Visa to open an account. Some troubles i faced while down there were the following

Renting - because you have no US credit deposits are massive ( this includes cable, internet and rent )

Bank accounts - you can't open anything without a visa a SSN

Medical - massive expense

If Canada finds out you have gone down there they could determine you a non resident and you could owe taxes both in the US and Canada ( my first year down in the US i had to pay 2 times since i didn't claim correctly )

however, then i moved to Dubai for 3 years and worked tax free and it was amazing ... Visa is super easy to get as well.
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #26
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Question working abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_hdk21 View Post
I worked in the USA for close to 3 years ... keep in mind if you want a have a bank account there you will need a US Visa to open an account. Some troubles i faced while down there were the following

Renting - because you have no US credit deposits are massive ( this includes cable, internet and rent )

Bank accounts - you can't open anything without a visa a SSN

Medical - massive expense

If Canada finds out you have gone down there they could determine you a non resident and you could owe taxes both in the US and Canada ( my first year down in the US i had to pay 2 times since i didn't claim correctly )

however, then i moved to Dubai for 3 years and worked tax free and it was amazing ... Visa is super easy to get as well.

The one thing regarding bank accounts and US credit cards is you can get them through RBC. https://www.rbcbank.com
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Taiwan makes life pretty easy on expats, though the visa situation might be odd if you're not planning on getting a job in Taiwan. If you didn't need to worry about income, finding a cram-school that would sponsor your Residency Permit and ask for less than 20 hours a week of work wouldn't be difficult.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have lived and worked in the U.S. for 20 years now - since graduating from university with my last degree.

I have had a series of visas, culminating with becoming a U.S. citizen in Jan 2016.

Lots of great advice on here, almost all of it accurate.

Overall, I would follow the rules/laws to mitigate a worst case scenario from occurring.

Yes - a PITA - but if you are serious about it, it is the only way to go.
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #29
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
The one thing regarding bank accounts and US credit cards is you can get them through RBC. https://www.rbcbank.com

True! However, if you want to open anything at a local branch IN the USA you would 100% need a valid Visa ... in my case i had a US employer so i needed a local account.
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the most basic situation where you're essentially a tourist and working on your laptop with everything otherwise still based in Canada, do you still need to do all of the above? How would, for example, journalists who are often working in other countries but based in Canada do this?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
In the most basic situation where you're essentially a tourist and working on your laptop with everything otherwise still based in Canada, do you still need to do all of the above? How would, for example, journalists who are often working in other countries but based in Canada do this?
Media still need visa's to work in the USA (and other countries) - legally.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #32
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a boss that had a house in San Francisco and one here. He split the time and it became increasingly difficult for him to cross the border. The agents became suspicious very quickly and asked tons of questions.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #33
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if you're staying in the US for months at a time and you're of working age, they're going to become pretty suspicious when you're crossing and hassle you about how you make a living if you don't have a US work visa.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #34
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_hdk21 View Post
True! However, if you want to open anything at a local branch IN the USA you would 100% need a valid Visa ... in my case i had a US employer so i needed a local account.
RBC has a US subsidiary, so the bank accounts through their US branch are local US bank accounts. You can get direct deposit, pay us bills, etc.

I wasnt suggesting go for months at a time and never get a visa. If you wanted to check it out once (because 50/50 it's not for you) I wouldn't bother getting a visa. If you decided to move there you definitely need a visa. YMMV, not actual advice, etc.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Four weeks is a pretty safe period of time to go take a working vacation in the US. If you don’t like where you went and want to try somewhere different in the US later on the year, seems like you’d be OK.

But long term you want to be a legal US worker, getting paid in USD.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #36
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I've heard Panama is a good place to go, or at least it was a few years ago. One guy on my beer league team retired there. But I do like the ideas I see here of changing locations each year and spending some time in different places. That sounds really cool.
Panama has a few perks. You can get a Friendly Nations Visa which Canada qualifies for. It costs roughly $3000 US in legal fees to get it or if you don't think you will be staying very long you can leave the country every 90 days and stay in the country on a Tourist Visa. Foreign income is not taxed. The currency is the US dollar which as you are aware is at a nasty exchange rate right now. The cost of living even including the exchange rate is still a bit less but it's also not exactly First World living.
As mentioned above, don't even think about buying in Panama. Currently there is a vast overstock in inventory and properties can take upwards of 5 years to sell if at all. Great deals on renting for the same reason.
Weather ranges from highs of about 33 to lows of about 25 all year round.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk