Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #61
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I remember one time at work I took my dick out for a solid 15 mins. One mistake and the paperwork was unreal.
I thought it was short and insignificant.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #62
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I thought it was short and insignificant.
i find this post shallow and pedantic.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #63
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Years ago I had a buddy who was driving with is friend on some highway in BC. They had no cell reception on one stretch and it was in the middle of the night with no other cars around. They accidentally hit a deer while they were driving. They stopped, and the deer was lying in pain, clearly needing a mercy kill. They had nothing to use except for a snow brush. He said it took a couple minutes of them taking turns beating a deer to death with a god damn snow brush until finally, mercifully it's life ended. One guy was crying the entire time and the way described it sounded like the worst experience ever.

I can't believe a cop with a firearm didn't even consider using it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #64
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
I think both these statements are true. You being right does not at all negate what Erick posted.
I think that broad statements like EE's about a large profession isn't a good idea.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #65
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Years ago I had a buddy who was driving with is friend on some highway in BC. They had no cell reception on one stretch and it was in the middle of the night with no other cars around. They accidentally hit a deer while they were driving. They stopped, and the deer was lying in pain, clearly needing a mercy kill. They had nothing to use except for a snow brush. He said it took a couple minutes of them taking turns beating a deer to death with a god damn snow brush until finally, mercifully it's life ended. One guy was crying the entire time and the way described it sounded like the worst experience ever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

God damn....

That sounds like hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #67
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

For real, or is that like a line from a movie or something? I can't imagine a snow brush being strong or heavy enough to beat anything to death. Hoping I just missed the joke.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #68
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i think at this point it is safe to say that we don't know what he was thinking as I don't believe there has been a public statement.

so let's say that he ran over it once and the deer died - is that any different than him shooting the deer? the end result is the same.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #69
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys thought he was serious?

Obviously they used the car to put the deer out of it's misery.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #70
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Take note of the spot and drive to find cell reception? If that's all they could think of it would have been less horrifying for all parties if they just let the damn thing die on its own.

But this has to be a joke. Right? Please?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 01-10-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #71
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i think at this point it is safe to say that we don't know what he was thinking as I don't believe there has been a public statement.

so let's say that he ran over it once and the deer died - is that any different than him shooting the deer? the end result is the same.
Maybe, but that's moot. The choice to run over it at all is baffling.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #72
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Maybe, but that's moot. The choice to run over it at all is baffling.
Even from the angle of: why the heck would you do that to your vehicle? Definitely not covered. Everything about the decision is head shakingly stupid.

Leave the animal alone and call an expert.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They had nothing to use except for a snow brush. He said it took a couple minutes of them taking turns beating a deer to death with a god damn snow brush until finally, mercifully it's life ended.
Uh, yeah, no. A snow brush? Why would try that? You're better off going to try and find a rock.

I was debating whether I would be able to do it if I had a knife. I think probably, but that'd still be pretty distressing, as I don't hunt and have basically no experience with killing animals. But I don't currently have a knife in my car - I do, however, carry a metal snow shovel, which might work. I don't know if I'd attempt it with the shovel. I lean towards no.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #74
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. The more I think about whales post.. no way. What a weird thing to lie about.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #75
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm from Lethbridge. A couple of years ago as I was driving late at night I saw the cops appeared to have pulled somebody over up ahead on 43rd Street (east edge of Lethbridge). As I passed by I did a lookyloo and I saw the cop discharge his gun into the ditch. It was a brief moment of shock, but I quickly figured that somebody hit a deer and he shot it. I can't remember the details anymore. I think it was a couple of quick pops and then done. But I was also driving by at 60km/h so I didn't get a close look. As I talked to another person I was meeting with they happened across the scene too and it was indeed an injured deer being put out of its misery.

So, why couldn't a cop in the same city do the same?

Yes, what he did was horrible. He is being reviewed by ASIRT, but still on active duty. I don't know the protocol for reviews and what the thresholds are for suspending the officer with or without pay. It has caused quite an uproar here in Lethbridge though. There have even been death threats on social media. The Lethbridge Police had to send a message to stop contacting them demanding action as they must wait for ASIRT to make a decision on the situation.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #76
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I can't bring myself to watch the video.
As others have already said:

1) Clearly something you radio in for advice on

2) I will reserve judgment until the full story on whether he was advised to handle it this way or not and if so, someone else needs a serious setback in their work life.

3) If this was this cops idea of the best plan then he needs to be terminated. Police are supposed to be trained to make decisions in a split second. I often sympathize with an officer in many of these shootings as I couldn't imagine making a life or death, them or me type decision and having 1 second to do so. This officer should never be allowed in a situation to make a life or death situation with a gun if he is not capable of figuring out how to handle an injured deer situation with as much time as he wants.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #77
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh, yeah, no. A snow brush? Why would try that? You're better off going to try and find a rock.

I was debating whether I would be able to do it if I had a knife. I think probably, but that'd still be pretty distressing, as I don't hunt and have basically no experience with killing animals. But I don't currently have a knife in my car - I do, however, carry a metal snow shovel, which might work. I don't know if I'd attempt it with the shovel. I lean towards no.
Knife is ideal, obviously. I used to carry one in my truck when I drove a lot of country roads and highways for work as a teenager. My dad told me when I started driving that if I hit a deer and it didn’t die, the humane thing was to kill it so it didn’t suffer.

Never had to do it and don’t worry about it much in the city. It’d be a tough thing to do, for sure.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #78
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

FYI for your buddy, and everyone else...most vehicles have a tire iron, and some have a screwdriver like end on them that is sharp. You may also have a metal pole for the crank on the jack. Either of these would be far superior to a snow brush.

Something like yonder:
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #79
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be honest though bludgeoning it with a tire iron seems pretty grotesque.

If it were me, I would do the humane thing - Lure the deer into the dream of an upper middle class lifestyle, and lend him some capital for a degree, and a house in the suburbs. As the economy sputters and he falls behind on his mortgage, struggling to find a job because his vehicle has been repo'd, he finds himself alone in his garage, his wife's nagging fading do a distant murmur. Peace at last as he kicks away the chair.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #80
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
To be honest though bludgeoning it with a tire iron seems pretty grotesque.

If it were me, I would do the humane thing - Lure the deer into the dream of an upper middle class lifestyle, and lend him some capital for a degree, and a house in the suburbs. As the economy sputters and he falls behind on his mortgage, struggling to find a job because his vehicle has been repo'd, he finds himself alone in his garage, his wife's nagging fading do a distant murmur. Peace at last as he kicks away the chair.
Why not just drag the Deer into the car and attach a hose to the exhaust pipe?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: