Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now Tulo’s agent says he’d be willing to play another position for his new team. Guess the market is not that large for an aging ego with rapidly declining tools. What an idiot.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

fleury, Russell is not going anywhere unless he shows that his bat still actually has some life left in it this season.

With his seriously declining bat and also declining overall play at his salary, I can't see any other team taking Martin off the Jays this winter.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

The Blue Jays will likely cover most of the salary for Martin and take a nothing player back just to have both sides move on.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #24
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talent wise in a shallow catcher market I’m sure teams will take him. Plus there are rumours of many teams interested. But you’re right - at what salary? I doubt they’ll get much for him and personally I’m fine on moving on without him. I doubt Rogers will sign off on salary retained based on these recent developments so I guess that limits the possible return he’d get (not that it was high to begin with).
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #25
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
And now Tulo’s agent says he’d be willing to play another position for his new team. Guess the market is not that large for an aging ego with rapidly declining tools. What an idiot.
He obviously didn't want to play out his career on the rebuilding Blue Jays, or at least wasn't willing to switch positions on what will most likely be a basement dweller.

He's dropping hints at playing for the A's, and obviously is willing to be more flexible for an opportunity to play for cheap on a 90+ win team from last season.

I can't blame him really.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #26
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He obviously didn't want to play out his career on the rebuilding Blue Jays, or at least wasn't willing to switch positions on what will most likely be a basement dweller.

He's dropping hints at playing for the A's, and obviously is willing to be more flexible for an opportunity to play for cheap on a 90+ win team from last season.

I can't blame him really.
It’s the lack of transparency I have a big problem with. What you’re describing is perfectly reasonable. But when you don’t say that and just end it with a period it comes across as spoiled and not realizing his position as a teammate. I guess Beane sees opportunity but if I were to guess he’ll be cut from a contender at the end of spring training. Being off this long so late in his career in a game of precision milliseconds means it’s unlikely he’ll fully recover to be a productive player, or even a bench player IMO.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #27
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Isn't most of Tulo's contract covered by insurance? If he's released I doubt he was - which is just plain stupid fiscal management
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #28
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Isn't most of Tulo's contract covered by insurance? If he's released I doubt he was - which is just plain stupid fiscal management

There could have been a payout from the insurance company to Jays to buy out the insurance clause with fear he would never play again due to injury

So while Jays are on the hook for his salary , doesn’t mean they are out that whole amount for sure.

However, with a guy with Tulos past injury history it’s possible it wasn’t even insured
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #29
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I gotta admit I don't understand releasing tulo when you still have to pay him 38 Mil... Seems stupid to me.

At least get some value for the money... Dh and sporadic infield coverage or just use him off the bench. Anything is better than paying him to play against you Imo. I don't think a guy that professional would cause problems. And if he wanted to leave so bad he should have taken a pay cut to do it

It's great to be a nice guy and everything but running a business in a super competitive industry like MLB I don't get doing ppl favours that could hurt you.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #30
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I highly doubt Tulowitzki will be an effective player at the MLB level ever again, especially at short stop, and I'm sorry but to think that he would come back and somehow haunt the Jays with another team, I can basically say with 100% certainty that will not happen. Of course I could be wrong and he could somehow reverse time, make a full recovery from the bone spurs, have his bat speed that was declining tick up a few MPH and his lateral quickness will be like he was 26 again!

There is no value in a 34 year old making 38 million dollars who is coming off a serious injury that has only played 66 games since 2017 and is likely not willing to cede his position at short stop. None. The Jays cut their losses with a guy who wanted to play SS at the MLB level and from what it sounds like didn't want to be a in a secondary role. Tulo has an immense amount of pride and ego and he would be the last person on earth to take a pay cut to play with the Jays.

There is no sense in having a past his prime guy taking up at bats whether at DH or playing the odd infield assignment for a rebuilding team that is going to be giving chances to their young players, and it sounds like Tulo didn't want to be a part of it either!

EDIT: and of course i just read a tweet from Tulo's agent saying he is willing to play in the bay area for 600,000 k and maybe at 2nd base, shows what i know! lol. moving along.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 12-11-2018 at 10:09 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #31
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little while ago it was reported Tulo wasn’t willing to do what Martin did and put the teams needs first. Maybe that’s changed now that he isn’t a Jay.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #32
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he wasn't willing to do it he should have not gotten his full paycheque to walk. He was under contract... Jay's should have tried him out for a couple months and seen if his bat is still there. He's never gonna play short again but why let someone else roll the dice on him for nothing. He was an amazing hitter and even at 70% he would add value off the bench.

I know I am in the minority... Just don't get this move - I don't see anything of value for the Jays in it.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #33
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was time to move on.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #34
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far this off season the Jays have traded Diaz, chose not to qualify Solarte, and now released Tulo.

That leaves Gurriel and Urena as the only real short stops with MLB experience.

I can definitely see them signing some sort of veteran stop gap SS in free agency now.

3B is also currently wide open for Drury to start, and then Vladdy Jr after a few weeks into the season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #35
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
fleury, Russell is not going anywhere unless he shows that his bat still actually has some life left in it this season.

With his seriously declining bat and also declining overall play at his salary, I can't see any other team taking Martin off the Jays this winter.
Its been speculated for awhile now the Jays could move him, Jays however would need to cover a large portion of the salary.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #36
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
If he wasn't willing to do it he should have not gotten his full paycheque to walk. He was under contract... Jay's should have tried him out for a couple months and seen if his bat is still there. He's never gonna play short again but why let someone else roll the dice on him for nothing. He was an amazing hitter and even at 70% he would add value off the bench.

I know I am in the minority... Just don't get this move - I don't see anything of value for the Jays in it.
The value for the Jays is in opening up a roster spot for a younger player. If they didn't feel Tulo would contribute much this year or next and they aren't planning to be contenders then their best option very well could be to just move on.

Best case scenario if they kept him was that he'd come back strong, establish some value and maybe open up a trade where the Jays still swallowed almost all of his contract. Worst case was that he comes back, doesn't play well enough to earn a starting job and he ends up a very expensive bench player that takes at bats away from prospects.

I'm disappointed with this ending - I've got a Tulo Jays jersey and still had hope that he'd get healthy and contribute - but I understand why the Jays made the move.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #37
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Tulo never really had a good tenure here. A shortsighted move by AA at the time. He had to do something about Reyes since he was eating so much short-term money and fell off a cliff performance wise. It was always going to look bad at the end and sadly the end is now.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #38
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Tulo never really had a good tenure here. A shortsighted move by AA at the time. He had to do something about Reyes since he was eating so much short-term money and fell off a cliff performance wise. It was always going to look bad at the end and sadly the end is now.
I would argue simply his addition changed the mindset of that 2015 team and helped propel them to the playoffs.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #39
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I would argue simply his addition changed the mindset of that 2015 team and helped propel them to the playoffs.
I think simply getting Reyes and his awful defense at the time, off the roster was a major factor in them making the playoffs.

I didn't like the trade at the time, and I still think Hoffman will be a good starting pitcher in the bigs, but I think AA made a smart move there even if it means getting stuck with the bill now.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #40
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Jays lose Jordan Romano (Damn) & Travis Bergen (Double Damn) in the Rule 5 Draft. Gain Elvis Luciano (Strange since he's 18 and in rookie ball).

Edit: Also select RHP David Garner from the Cubs in the AAA portion of the draft.

Last edited by Parallex; 12-13-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote