Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #41
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to media sources, suspects are students at Université Laval.
One suspect turned himself in to police almost immediately after the shootings.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #42
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's kind of amazing (and ultimately sad) that the rise of radical Islam claims more Muslim lives than any other religion/race. How are we supposed to get rid of radical Islam when you have a Muslim screaming "allahu akbar" running in and gunning down other Muslims in a Mosque.

The majority of Middle Eastern countries can't even see eye to eye, let alone banding together to fight radicalism.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something about this isn't adding up.

I wanted to avoid jumping to conclusions, but my first thought was white nationalism, not Quebec nationalism. My second guess would have been radical Islamists targeting moderate Muslims. It's been a long time since a Quebec nationalist has been ready to die for that cause, and specifically targeting Muslims wouldn't make sense... how would that undermine the federal government?

Now it looks like the suspects are a Quebecer and a Moroccan student, with one of the suspects calling right away and offering to cooperate. It makes me think one of them was being patsied by the other.

I guess we will have to wait for the investigation to unfold, but it's hard not to let thoughts race when something bad like this happens. It's so senseless and tragic.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-30-2017 at 08:56 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #44
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
How are we supposed to get rid of radical Islam when you have a Muslim screaming "allahu akbar" running in and gunning down other Muslims in a Mosque.
That's just it, the solution and reconciliation can only come from the Muslim community. People outside the community have no sway.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Something about this isn't adding up.

I wanted to avoid jumping to conclusions, but my first thought was white nationalism, not Quebec nationalism. My second guess would have been radical Islamists targeting moderate Muslims. It's been a long time since a Quebec nationalist has been ready to die for that cause, and specifically targeting Muslims wouldn't make sense... how would that undermine the federal government?

Now it looks like the suspects are a Quebecer and a Moroccan student, with one of the suspects calling right away and offering to cooperate. It makes me think one of them was being patsied by the other.
One is a white Trump supporter (according to his facebook page), the other is named Mohamed and is of Moroccan decent, and may be an immigrant. If it wasn't for the tragedy, it would be almost comical how both sides have already made up their mind on the motive.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #46
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Without knowing details, it is not uncommon for someone to change their name after converting to/from Islam, or any other religion. Just bringing this up because of the confusion the suspects may be causing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #47
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow:

christopher curtis
‏@titocurtis

Follow
More
QC City has one of the lowest murder rates in Canada. Only 1 homicide in 2016 -- previous homicide came 16 months earlier.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #48
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
One is a white Trump supporter (according to his facebook page), the other is named Mohamed and is of Moroccan decent, and may be an immigrant. If it wasn't for the tragedy, it would be almost comical how both sides have already made up their mind on the motive.
Maybe a couple of white nationalists steal a Moroccan student's passport, go into a mosque and shoot up the place yelling Arabic words and conveniently leave the Moroccan student's passport there. The Moroccan student realizes what happened and calls the police to cooperate.

Or vice versa.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #49
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly.
Speculation is speculative

One is a white Trump supporter because he liked public figure Donald Trump on Facebook?
The other from a Muslim country who has to hate peaceful Muslims?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
wow:

christopher curtis
‏@titocurtis

Follow
More
QC City has one of the lowest murder rates in Canada. Only 1 homicide in 2016 -- previous homicide came 16 months earlier.
Upcoming Breitbart headline: "Canadian anti-gun laws result in 500% increase in murder."
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #51
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe a couple of white nationalists steal a Moroccan student's passport, go into a mosque and shoot up the place yelling Arabic words and conveniently leave the Moroccan student's passport there. The Moroccan student realizes what happened and calls the police to cooperate.

Or vice versa.
Bissonnette turned himself in to authorities.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #52
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Vigil/Protest for Quebec and Against Muslim Ban

https://www.facebook.com/events/571252159746945/

Friday 4 pm at City Hall.

I thought I heard there was another one tonight at 6:30?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #53
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ disappointed yet not surprised at the connection
Old 01-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
He had a Trump like on facebook, but he was also a supporter of the Bloc, Jack Layton and Marine Le Pen, so its a little early to think that he's a Trump Supporter, or a Quebec Nationalist, or a Islamic Radical.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Or vice versa.
Khadir was captured at the scene. Bissonette was the one who turned himself in.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #56
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Without knowing details, it is not uncommon for someone to change their name after converting to/from Islam, or any other religion. Just bringing this up because of the confusion the suspects may be causing.
Well it's confusing because there's elements of both, for lack of better word, narratives going on.

Alexandre Bissonnette is a white individual who has a Facebook page where he likes the pages of Donald Trump and other far-right pages. Photos somewhat paint him as a redneck. The Mosque was the target of a hate-crime earlier this year, in the form of a pig's head being sent to it.

On the other hand, you have reports of the shooters shouting "Allahu akbar" and Mohamed Khadir being reported an immigrant from Morocco, a country with a population of 99.5% identifying as Muslim.

It's certainly possible that Alexandre converted to radical Islam or always liked the pages ironically, but he also likes the Israel Defense Forces and other pro-Israel pages on Facebook. May be just out of date, but it is weird. On the other hand, if he's a "white national" or just anti-Muslim it's also weird who he teamed up with.

It's just bizarre that you have "both sides" using this. You can see "Trump was right banning these guys from the country" and at the same time "Trump's election has divided the country and shown white racists they have large support." Of course the even greater irony being this was in Canada.

Might end up being a case of the mosque having a large group of people for these #######s.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe they were yelling Allahu Akbar mockingly
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #58
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Or even just that the reports were wrong. Allahu Akbar being said in a Mosque is extremely common. With the chaos, it would be completely understandable for someone to attribute that to the shooters when it was someone just praying normally or for their lives.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #59
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Or as a way of framing the attack as Islamist. There is also the chance that both these guys don't have a "cause" and are just thrill killers.

I am sure the police will be looking at every angle. It's difficult to not fill in a narrative when senseless things happen though.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #60
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I am sure the police will be looking at every angle. It's difficult to not fill in a narrative when senseless things happen though.
But Trudeau has already told us that this is terrorism targeted at Muslims.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote