Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any info. I've been looking to finish off the last room of my basement. Here's what I'm looking at

290 sq ft-new insulation (on 2 outer walls), and drywall.
Electrical outlets, potlights, 2 small interior walls framed. Plumbing rough in for future bar(about a 6 ft run) . One return air to the floor (just needs to be run straight down its already in the right place above a framed interior wall).

No flooring (I'll do that), no ceiling finish.

I was quoted about $16,000 not including lights or a panel upgrade.

Does this seem high or is it just me, especially with no flooring or ceiling?
I don't want to speculate on why he might not want the job, but that price seems so high, that he threw it out so that you wouldn't choose him, or if you did, he'd make insane money doing it.

Either that, or else he's downright crazy, and so are you if you pay that much money for a job that size. Your instinct is correct.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #42
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I don't want to speculate on why he might not want the job, but that price seems so high, that he threw it out so that you wouldn't choose him, or if you did, he'd make insane money doing it.

Either that, or else he's downright crazy, and so are you if you pay that much money for a job that size. Your instinct is correct.
Honestly that was my assumption so I didn't bother responding. I actually laughed when I read the quote. Then I got a follow up phone call. I just wondered if I was missing something since the quote didn't actually breakdown the cost of each component.

Sworkshard, red, whitecourt, calgarygeologist - yeah I've done some of that work myself before like flooring etc. Which is why I asked for no flooring or ceiling, I'll do the framing if I need to. I just figured for a smaller job I'd just get an overall quote.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #43
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the current going rate for a full basement development (basic finishes, standard layout) of approximately 800 square feet? One bedroom, one full washroom, one rec room
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #44
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What's the current going rate for a full basement development (basic finishes, standard layout) of approximately 800 square feet? One bedroom, one full washroom, one rec room
Based on that guys quote about 3.2 million.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #45
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Based on that guys quote about 3.2 million.
Not including floor or ceiling
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aww geez, Surferguy, you are undercutting me again! I was going to come in at 3.6.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #47
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pffft. I'll go 2.8 million, AND I'll throw in flooring. (89 cents per square foot max though)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I finished something like this a few months ago (680-700 sq ft split into entertainment room, bedroom with full ensuite, stairs + landing). Top to bottom with upgrades to match the swankier upstairs. I paid around $32-33k (GST is around $1500 of that amount). No cabinetry, no bar. I also had them do a few miscellaneous things around the house which was also captured in that pricing too. No break downs, sorry. It was a handshake deal with a guy I knew.

Overall I felt like it was a job well done. Maybe a few issues with finishing due to the grunts rushing the final details which were fixed promptly by the head honcho himself (Thank goodness it wasn't a certain home developer ).

A minor regret... I should have requested a no slam toilet seat. I didn't realize this error of mine until the build was complete and the guys were gone. But I am pretty sure I can do that myself one weekend.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kohler-1150464.../dp/B0068JJV1G

Damn hinges cost around $30 though.

I however am curious about the way other basements were developed in my complex though since the units are identical. Hopefully I can take a look at it one day. I did hear of someone developing theirs for about $22-24k but with major downgrades such as half bath, no bedroom (just one huge exercise room) and basic trim (wasn't really matching of the upstairs other than color).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #49
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I think $50/sq ft is around the going rate is it not?

I'm paying around that amount right now to do my basement, and that's for top of the line everything. Heated floors, bedroom, 2 bars, bathroom, steam shower, fireplace etc

Who was making the custom wine rooms on here? Was that surferguy? I want a quote on that.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #50
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I'm paying around that amount right now to do my basement, and that's for top of the line everything. Heated floors, bedroom, 2 bars, bathroom, steam shower, fireplace etc

Who was making the custom wine rooms on here? Was that surferguy? I want a quote on that.
I would think $50 is a good ballpark. We had our basement done for around that, perhaps a little more, but included a bunch of demo and a kitchen done.

Distinct Developments. Nathan does excellent work.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #51
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

Yep that is me.

Here is a recap of the video I made.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #52
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Yep that is me.

Here is a recap of the video I made.

Why don't I have one of these?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #53
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure what the going rate is, but my company would do something like that for around ~28000 assuming the frost walls are framed, insulated, and poly'd and your just looking for something basic.

Last edited by sworkhard; 11-30-2016 at 02:56 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #54
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump. Anyone have any experience with local contractors developing their basement recently?
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #55
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trent at https://www.affordablebasements.ca/
Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to add, but after looking at many houses recently a lot of the houses that we had real interest in were killed because of the terrible basement development. Make sure you think long and hard about how you finish it if you want to finish it then sell.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #57
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep, I pretty much had the same experience a few years ago.

DIY hack-jobs. A case of someone watching a few episodes on HGTV and thought they could do it themselves. The result is always terrible.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #58
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks. I wouldn't even attempt a basement development personally as I know how it would turn out - DIY hack job at best which could make a big difference in this market for resale value as mentioned above
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #59
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used the barricade sub floor and vinyl flooring throughout the basement. Carpet on the stairs. Ditto for vents high, return low.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #60
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. I wouldn't even attempt a basement development personally as I know how it would turn out - DIY hack job at best which could make a big difference in this market for resale value as mentioned above
Not only that but actual design and layout too. Lots of bad designs out there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote