Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

We hate carpet & laminate but we don't really know what the alternatives are, would be interested to hear what's worked well for people. Hardwood in the basement just seems off to me, plus if you ever flood (like we have) it's a disaster. Be interested to hear if anyone has gone with finished/polished concrete.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #22
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done polyaspartic coatings a couple times and loved it....

http://www.concretenetwork.com/polya...loor-coatings/

It's especially good if you have old tile to cover and you don't want to remove it.

I'm not really sure you can beat carpet and tile in my books though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I chose luxury vinyl tiles. Installed them myself. I didn't want to install a subfloor for many reasons, not least is the low celings and potential for water damage in my basement. I love them. Great texture, great for following the slight rolling of the concrete floor. Warmer than expected. Also - we've had some severe flooding in our basement since then, and the tiles did wonderfully. I think it's a little cheezy to call them "luxury vinyl", but the stuff sure isn't linoleum.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #24
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
We hate carpet & laminate but we don't really know what the alternatives are, would be interested to hear what's worked well for people. Hardwood in the basement just seems off to me, plus if you ever flood (like we have) it's a disaster. Be interested to hear if anyone has gone with finished/polished concrete.
We used Affordable Basement to do our basement last spring.

http://www.affordablebasements.ca/

Accurate quote, good workmanship, and done on time with little delay. Contacted the city for all the permits and very little from our end after the initial design consult. We used polished concrete (took some convincing), but we love the look of it. We decided to cut off-set lines on the concrete so that the floor looks like tiles. BTW, we have heated floors and walk out basement so it feels so toasty and cozy when the weather gets cold.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #25
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just bought my first place, and I'm looking to get the basement windows done. Ideally, I'll be getting the whole basement done reno'd, but doing small pieces at a time.

Has anyone done their windows recently, and is willing to share the rough cost of it? Or even have some suggestions of good contractors for that?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I just bought my first place, and I'm looking to get the basement windows done. Ideally, I'll be getting the whole basement done reno'd, but doing small pieces at a time.

Has anyone done their windows recently, and is willing to share the rough cost of it? Or even have some suggestions of good contractors for that?
Are you just doing frames/glass or having the concrete cut as well?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Are you just doing frames/glass or having the concrete cut as well?
Most likely will have concrete cutting as well, looking to increase the size to make them egress windows.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #28
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Most likely will have concrete cutting as well, looking to increase the size to make them egress windows.
You may want to wait until spring when it's easier to dig and therefore cheaper. Also make sure you realize what's included...if you don't want a pile of dirt and concrete left behind you'll want to arrange for that. Window wells and back fill and drainage complete the job but some installers assume homeowners will do that. I just used A-1 Cutting and Coring and they were good but they just cut. I installed. Also if you have any holes to core....direct vent water tank, bath fan, new laundry room or whatever, you could do it at the same time. (you for sure need permits as well, both building and development, because you are increasing the window coverage and altering the structure of the house)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You may want to wait until spring when it's easier to dig and therefore cheaper. Also make sure you realize what's included...if you don't want a pile of dirt and concrete left behind you'll want to arrange for that. Window wells and back fill and drainage complete the job but some installers assume homeowners will do that. I just used A-1 Cutting and Coring and they were good but they just cut. I installed. Also if you have any holes to core....direct vent water tank, bath fan, new laundry room or whatever, you could do it at the same time. (you for sure need permits as well, both building and development, because you are increasing the window coverage and altering the structure of the house)
Yeah, I'm aware it'll be a bit of mess! and have talked with one contractor already about some of the work. They are estimating close to $3000, which seems a little on the high side, and this is without a window well! I also asked him about the building permit, to which he left it open ended.

"You can get by without, and just play dumb with the City if they ask you about it and say it was like that when you bought it. But if you'd like it, I'll leave that up to you"

Seems a little on the sketchy side, which is why I'm reaching out for other suggestions for some quotes. I have Johnston/Marcotte Glass coming by for a site visit next week to get another quote. Even from the call I just had on the phone with them, they seem a little more reputable and fair with pricing.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #30
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

3k per window? That's a lot. I had four windows cut...two new, two expanded...for $1650. A plastic window is about $200. There is a winter premium though. As for permits, it's kind of not an option. A new, or expanded window with new window well, changes your elevation drawing and your lot coverage. Those changes will be reflected in your rpr. When you sell, the rpr will not be in compliance and you'll have to apply for permits after the fact. Lawyers do look carefully at rpr's and tend to catch these things. Also, cutting concrete is a fairly big alteration to your house. You will require an engineer to approve your drawings in order to get the permits. Your windows may be too close to each other or to a corner or to a major load to expand. I'd want to be sure because one inch can make a big difference and it's incredibly expensive to fix down the road when your basement is nicely finished. And then there is your insurance. You aren't covered for unpermitted work. Also, there is a limit to the window coverage on your house. Newer houses are generally close to that coverage so you also need a development permit to go beyond hat limit. Neighbors get crabby about privacy all the time. Ooops, one more thing, since 2011 unpermitted work is a patent defect and must be disclosed by your listing realtor. That is starting to affect value as reca is beginning to enforce it more. Sorry to be a bummer but you just want to know the risk.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 01-15-2016 at 09:25 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
We used Affordable Basement to do our basement last spring.

http://www.affordablebasements.ca/

Accurate quote, good workmanship, and done on time with little delay. Contacted the city for all the permits and very little from our end after the initial design consult. We used polished concrete (took some convincing), but we love the look of it. We decided to cut off-set lines on the concrete so that the floor looks like tiles. BTW, we have heated floors and walk out basement so it feels so toasty and cozy when the weather gets cold.
Thanks for this. Our slab is in pretty bad shape in terms of stains etc, as many old houses. Was yours ugly too, and if so, how did they address this?
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #32
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
3k per window? That's a lot. I had four windows cut...two new, two expanded...for $1650. A plastic window is about $200. There is a winter premium though. As for permits, it's kind of not an option. A new, or expanded window with new window well, changes your elevation drawing and your lot coverage. Those changes will be reflected in your rpr. When you sell, the rpr will not be in compliance and you'll have to apply for permits after the fact. Lawyers do look carefully at rpr's and tend to catch these things. Also, cutting concrete is a fairly big alteration to your house. You will require an engineer to approve your drawings in order to get the permits. Your windows may be too close to each other or to a corner or to a major load to expand. I'd want to be sure because one inch can make a big difference and it's incredibly expensive to fix down the road when your basement is nicely finished. And then there is your insurance. You aren't covered for unpermitted work. Also, there is a limit to the window coverage on your house. Newer houses are generally close to that coverage so you also need a development permit to go beyond hat limit. Neighbors get crabby about privacy all the time. Ooops, one more thing, since 2011 unpermitted work is a patent defect and must be disclosed by your listing realtor. That is starting to affect value as reca is beginning to enforce it more. Sorry to be a bummer but you just want to know the risk.
You're not being a bummer at all! I actually agree with you and am on the same page, which is why I'm looking for other contractors. I'm all for going through the proper permit process, and having all that documented. I'd prefer to get it done right the first time, rather than having sketchy contractors put in an over priced window, and having to get it fixed later.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #33
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for this. Our slab is in pretty bad shape in terms of stains etc, as many old houses. Was yours ugly too, and if so, how did they address this?
Our house is only six years old so it was in good shape. We picked stain colour and design and the floor guy matched it pretty close to it. They put a base color and acid stained it, if I remember. Old stain will be covered up so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Our floor has this type of design with lines cut for tile look.

http://customccd.com/wp-content/gall...t/p1000272.jpg
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #34
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should clarify the limits on unprotected openings only applies to the windows on a side yard. I've never heard of anyone going beyond the limit by way of a Development Permit. The max calculation is a max by way of Building/Fire code.

Window wells don't change your lot coverage %. They should show on RPR's though.

Another rule is you must keep one side yard 1.2m clear for access so you can't have window wells on both sides if you have a narrow lot.

If you're doing wells, definitely do a deep base of rock w/ a weeping tile connection.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 01-23-2016 at 01:30 PM.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #35
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone has any info. I've been looking to finish off the last room of my basement. Here's what I'm looking at

290 sq ft-new insulation (on 2 outer walls), and drywall.
Electrical outlets, potlights, 2 small interior walls framed. Plumbing rough in for future bar(about a 6 ft run) . One return air to the floor (just needs to be run straight down its already in the right place above a framed interior wall).

No flooring (I'll do that), no ceiling finish.

I was quoted about $16,000 not including lights or a panel upgrade.

Does this seem high or is it just me, especially with no flooring or ceiling?
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #36
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any info. I've been looking to finish off the last room of my basement. Here's what I'm looking at

Electrical outlets, potlights, 2 small interior walls framed. Plumbing rough in for future bar(about a 6 ft run) . One return air to the floor (just needs to be run straight down its already in the right place above a framed interior wall).

Do the electrical work yourself (except panel work, need contractor for that), insulation is easy to do as well. Should save you a few thousand.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #37
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Do the electrical work yourself (except panel work, need contractor for that), insulation is easy to do as well. Should save you a few thousand.
Framing a couple of walls is easy enough as well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #38
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

16K?
Yikes....RUN!!!
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #39
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have polished concrete in my basement. I would only recommend polishing existing concrete if you have at least some insulation below the concrete. However, since my basement had a wood floor, we placed colored concrete over foam and heat hose (not yet connected) and I'm really happy with it.

It's hard though, so if you have kids that play on it, get some foam tiles for them to play on.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #40
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That's high.

We usually do something like that finished including ceiling and flooring (assuming one room) for 7-8 grand (calculations based on a 12*20 room, including a closet, doors, electrical, drywall, paint, etc). Of course, if you move beyond basics the price goes up, but for most people they can choose a nicely finished room for this price.

If your doing the flooring yourself, you can save about 1200.

Last edited by sworkhard; 11-29-2016 at 10:53 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote