Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #201
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If they can get fake documents that can pass Canadian security anyway, then why bother even going through the rigmarole of the refugee process when they would have a less than 50% chance of being selected? Why wouldn't they just get fake documents of a different nationality and come over as a legit visitor? They would be making it unnecessarily difficult on themselves trying to do it via a refugee camp.

Sure, there is always a theoretical chance that some ISIS people escaped to camps and will be among those selected and we certainly don't want that ideology being spread here. There were Nazi war criminals that immigrated to Canada after WW2 as well, so the system isn't fool proof. But should that stop us from doing the right thing? The due diligence will be laboursome, no doubt about it. But that doesn't mean that it needs to take a long time.
I'm just not sure about bringing 25000 refugees in 6 weeks. US is planning to bring only 10000 in 2016 and so far they just accepted 1800 refugees from Syria.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #202
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbar...ugees-n2063189

Lack of available data to properly vett Syrian refugees is a concern for FBI officials, should we not be concerned as well?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #203
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post

Lack of available data to properly vett Syrian refugees is a concern for FBI officials, should we not be concerned as well?
More fear mongering articles.

Also, your source have reduced credibility when this is linked on the top of the page:

http://bearingarms.com/

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #204
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
More fear mongering articles.

Also, your source have reduced credibility when this is linked on the top of the page:

http://bearingarms.com/
So James Comey didn't say this then?

'Speaking on Capitol Hill Thursday, FBI Director James Comey weighed in from a security perspective, lending credence to Republican concerns over proper vetting of refugees.

“My concern there is there are certain gaps ... in the data available to us,” Comey said.'

How is that fear mongering? Legitimate concerns are now considered fear mongering?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2437617

I'd like to find the story from a more mainstream media outlet, however they are all busy telling us how we can fix the terrorist problem with hugs.

When ISIS has declared attacks on US soil, due diligence isn't fear mongering or xenophobia, it's responsible.

30 US states have now said they will either not take Syrian refugees or asking the Fed's to reconsider refugee relocation.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/16/us-st...-refugees.html
Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #205
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

'Speaking on Capitol Hill Thursday, FBI Director James Comey weighed in from a security perspective, lending credence to Republican concerns over proper vetting of refugees.

“My concern there is there are certain gaps ... in the data available to us,” Comey said.'

How is that fear mongering? Legitimate concerns are now considered fear mongering?

I'd like to find the story from a more mainstream media outlet, however they are all busy telling us how we can fix the terrorist problem with hugs.

When ISIS has declared attacks on US soil, due diligence isn't fear mongering or xenophobia, it's responsible.

30 US states have now said they will either not take Syrian refugees or asking the Fed's to reconsider refugee relocation.

That link is clearly a biased news source.

I will say that I agree the "mainstream" (what an awful term) can be muddled.

This is also from you article:

Quote:
Refugees are first recommended by the United Nations, according to the administration, and then screened by multiple U.S. agencies. The White House insists that the vetting process will be thorough.

“We should do the right thing by accepting more, but we should be careful in doing it,” Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said.
So to be clear, prospective refugees are screened by the UN, they are then screened again by multiple US agencies.

Isn't that enough for you?

Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #206
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You should read the CTV article undercoverbrother posted and then I reposted. The country isn't accepting refugees in willy nilly.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #207
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That link is clearly a biased news source.

I will say that I agree the "mainstream" (what an awful term) can be muddled.

This is also from you article:

So to be clear, prospective refugees are screened by the UN, they are then screened again by multiple US agencies.

Isn't that enough for you?
Not when the FBI director isn't convinced, no.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #208
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
You should read the CTV article undercoverbrother posted and then I reposted. The country isn't accepting refugees in willy nilly.
I never said they were, they are vetting them with the available information they have.

The concern is that information isn't enough.

I'm fine with bringing in refugees, although I would want to see women and children fast tracked. If we can properly vett these people and assure they are who we think they are, then great.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #209
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never said they were, they are vetting them with the available information they have.

I'm fine with bringing in refugees, although I would want to see women and children fast tracked. If we can properly vett these people and assure they are who we think they are, then great.

That is what the article posted says.

It says that the refugees pass through multiple levels of vetting, but you indicate that isn't enough for you.

Perhaps you can tell me what vetting approach is acceptable to you?

Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #210
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

According to the CTV article, it sounds like they've already figured that out.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #211
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess we can all decide which side of history to be on

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...ewish-refugees

Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #212
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

In the article you provided, the head of America's National Counterterrorism Center makes the same admission as the FBI director but also states:

Quote:
“We are building that fact into our analysis as well,” he added, “so that we can at least identify what more questions we need to ask.”
Is this not addressing the legitimate concern?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #213
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I see it, part of the benefit to taking a number of these low risk refugees who have been living in camps for years, is that it opens up spots in those camps for other refugees, or allows the Turkish authorities to provide better support for those who are there. In turn, that reduces the numbers of refugees outside the camp system in Turkey, reduces the migrant flow to Europe, and allow both Turkey and the EU to devote more resources to tracking other, less known refugees.

We're in a position where, for very low risk, we can not only help a large number of innocent civilians, we can also help lower the risk for our allies who, due to geography are in much higher-risk situations. We should be looking at Paris and not say, 'how can we prevent that from happening here,' but rather 'how can we prevent that from happening again here, there, or anywhere else'. And if it turns out that this was caused by someone who slipped through the cracks of the migration system, reducing the strain on that system is one major way we can help.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #214
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is what the article posted says.

It says that the refugees pass through multiple levels of vetting, but you indicate that isn't enough for you.

Perhaps you can tell me what vetting approach is acceptable to you?
For the third time, the FBI director is concerned the available information isnt enough. That's what he is saying, not me. If he is concerned about security, then we should try and address those concerns. That's what I'm saying.

Multiple levels of vetting is being implemented, and that's fine, the question is, is it enough?
Old 11-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #215
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
In the article you provided, the head of America's National Counterterrorism Center makes the same admission as the FBI director but also states:

Is this not addressing the legitimate concern?
Yes it is. So move forward with figuring out which additional questions need to be asked, find an applicable way of implementing those extra steps, and ensure that we have covered all our bases.

Some officials are saying we have enough information, others are not convinced. If we can get everyone on the same page stating that the vetting process has been complete and 100% accurate, then I'm comfortable with moving ahead with mass refugee relocation.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #216
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
they're not necessarily going to send a raving mad terrorist over, they're going to send guys over that will integrate into the communities and recruit and radicalize.

They're going to send over people that are planners not trigger men, people that already know where the network of weapons are for example, who can encourage and put together a plan.

They're sending over the virus, not the tumor.

Wow, could you dehumanize them a little more?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #217
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sensitive much?

Firstly, it was just an analogy saying how if a ISIS operative who disguised himself as a refugee came over, he likely wouldn't be the raving suicide bomber type. It would be someone who plant ideas and radicalizes native Canadian muslims. Therefore they are sending the virus that will radicalize folks and cause the tumor (home grown violent terrorists).

2ndly, even if he directly called ISIS operatives a virus, I have no problem with that. The mass murder and rape they are committing in their caliphate is disgusting.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #218
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Sensitive much?

Firstly, it was just an analogy saying how if a ISIS operative who disguised himself as a refugee came over, he likely wouldn't be the raving suicide bomber type. It would be someone who plant ideas and radicalizes native Canadian muslims. Therefore they are sending the virus that will radicalize folks and cause the tumor (home grown violent terrorists).

2ndly, even if he directly called ISIS operatives a virus, I have no problem with that. The mass murder and rape they are committing in their caliphate is disgusting.
You might be right, and certainly read in that context it reads better.

I would have preferred CC had used the word "if" in his post.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #219
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Venezuela is also letting in 20,000. Not sure of the time table, but that is a lot for them. Granted, something like 10% of their population (30m) is of Syrian decent already, so there is a large cultural cushion to absorb them.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #220
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

ISIS members don't act human and shouldn't be treated as one.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote