Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
As an alarm tech, I’ve seen and could open a sliding window system in prob less than a minute, with no tools and no breakage. Bar along the bottom doesn’t matter. If I know then I’m pretty sure any knowledgeable thief knows.
For security if you have a window beside your front door nothing else really matters. You smash the window and open the door.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #22
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
For security if you have a window beside your front door nothing else really matters. You smash the window and open the door.
I agree, my wife made sure we had solid sidelights instead of glass. I’d recommend security sidelights. Pretty tough to just break and enter with those guys.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #23
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
An awesome, top of the line window has an R-value of 4. It doesn't really make a difference what kind you get.
false. high end windows have r-values upwards of 7 to 8 and even higher.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #24
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post

Triple glazed windows - yes, you should expect around R7 or R8. Double glazed windows R4 is normal. It varies depending on many factors including what type of glass is used (clear or tinted), coatings applied to the glass including low-e coatings (there are several different types) , reflective coatings etc., and where they are located within the sealed unit - ie - which surface they are applied (2nd surface or third surface, etc), the space between the glass lites (ie - air filled or argon gas filled), the spacer at the edge of the sealed unit.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 02-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #25
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
Well fantastic. That's still fairly pitiful.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
As an alarm tech, I’ve seen and could open a sliding window system in prob less than a minute, with no tools and no breakage. Bar along the bottom doesn’t matter. If I know then I’m pretty sure any knowledgeable thief knows.
Good to know...well not good considering I have some sliders but in all honesty,
if someone wants into my or anyones home, they will get in. It doesn't matter if it is a 1 minute slider window without breakage or actually breaking the window. Chances are, my glass breaking sensors are a weaker security point than the magnetic contacts should you slide my window open.

I am assuming most burglars take off the moment an alarm goes off but could be wrong...

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #27
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I am assuming most burglars take off the moment an alarm goes off but could be wrong...
I had my house broken into with the alarm going off. The CPS officer who attended told me the good burglars know roughly what the response time for the police is, and will often run in, grab stuff quickly and run out in that time period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

So far I've had quotes from Canadian Choice Windows and Doors, All Weather Windows, Supreme and Luxx. All four were capable and competent, and all seemed to have upgrades built into their quotes for triple pane windows. Essentially its just come down to the best financing options and price. The range to replace our entire house has been anywhere from 15-20K and we are looking at a 3-4 day install. It's important to note that Luxx will only let you pay 5K on a credit card...everything else has to be paid via cheque or debit. Luxx were definitely the most knowledgable out of the 4.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #29
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have All Weather Windows going on 10 years now they are good quality no complaints. The installers I was not impressed with they cracked my plaster walls said unavoidable. Watching some of their work the damage was avoidable.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #30
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
So far I've had quotes from Canadian Choice Windows and Doors, All Weather Windows, Supreme and Luxx. All four were capable and competent, and all seemed to have upgrades built into their quotes for triple pane windows. Essentially its just come down to the best financing options and price. The range to replace our entire house has been anywhere from 15-20K and we are looking at a 3-4 day install. It's important to note that Luxx will only let you pay 5K on a credit card...everything else has to be paid via cheque or debit. Luxx were definitely the most knowledgable out of the 4.

Did you differentiate (or choose) between wood-Clad vs Vinyl?
I awaiting quotes from Pella (wood-clad) and Supreme (Vinyl).
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #31
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I have All Weather Windows going on 10 years now they are good quality no complaints. The installers I was not impressed with they cracked my plaster walls said unavoidable. Watching some of their work the damage was avoidable.
I'd avoid All Weather Windows IMO. We had them installed in our condo and several of them were poorly fitted. Almost all of them had issues opening and closing. And their work on the trim left much to be desired.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #32
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

We replaced our Windows/Doors in 2014.

Supreme Windows for Windows and internal garage door.

Almost went with Western Windows but price was a smidge too much. We did go through them for the front and back door.

Both Supreme and Western are great companies and have nothing bad to say about them.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #33
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'd avoid All Weather Windows IMO. We had them installed in our condo and several of them were poorly fitted. Almost all of them had issues opening and closing. And their work on the trim left much to be desired.
I've had no issues and they don't frost even in the coldest weather. I have 5 that open (smoothly) the rest don't have that feature. If I had to give a recommendation for them, I would say no due the installers going full caveman when removing the old windows. Keep in mind mine are ~10 years old so quality could be different now.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #34
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been replacing mine slowly with Gentek windows.

I have a contact for a small installer that my wifes family have been using for over 20 years now. My father in law used them and now I do too...

PM if interested and I'll forward his contact info.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #35
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've used these guys:

http://www.max-green.ca

Had them replace 4 windows in my house last year. Which involved resizing two windows, and adding a legal egress basement window (with concrete cutting). Only had the occasional scheduling issue, but work quality was great!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I've used these guys:

http://www.max-green.ca

Had them replace 4 windows in my house last year. Which involved resizing two windows, and adding a legal egress basement window (with concrete cutting). Only had the occasional scheduling issue, but work quality was great!
I have to do this soon to two windows. How much was that approx.?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #37
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, my wife made sure we had solid sidelights instead of glass. I’d recommend security sidelights. Pretty tough to just break and enter with those guys.
Do you have glass in your front door? I’m getting glass in the actual door so I’m thinking may as well do glass sidelights, too.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #38
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Do you have glass in your front door? I’m getting glass in the actual door so I’m thinking may as well do glass sidelights, too.
No, we went with double layered panels. No glass in the door either, aside from peephole.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #39
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETokyo View Post
Did you differentiate (or choose) between wood-Clad vs Vinyl?
I awaiting quotes from Pella (wood-clad) and Supreme (Vinyl).

Went with a quote on Vinyl with Supreme and All Weather...Pella only offered Wood-Clad and I too am awaiting to hear back on a quote.

I might give Max Green a try too
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #40
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We got all new windows may 2019. Which we needed had some drafty double pane windows but 80% were single Pane metal sliders.

We got quotes from ecoline, supreme and lux.

Ecoline sales guy gave us bad vibes and was lying about energy efficiency program to get us to sign.

Supreme was good but significantly more expensive. Parents had there windows done with them.

Lux sales guy was great and there price was actually the lowest and they offered triple pane sliders for our two small basement windows. They had a triple pane promotion and there windows come with low e 270 and 180 to keep heat in the house in the winter and sun heat out in the summer and neat clean glass also came with it.

We are happy and it has made a good difference already
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote