Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #21
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

My own completely unscientific line to draw for this “generation” is

1) You learned to type on an actual typewriter in school but also
2) Pagers were the dominant form of mobile communication through your high school years and the advent of voicemail pages was life changing.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
V
Old 02-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #22
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forget all the generation labeling stuff. I honestly forgot how long it's been since that magical cup run. I can't believe I was 28 when that happened, and now I'm going to be 43 in a week....I think my brain just broke.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #23
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm 33 and this is probably the group I would slot myself into.
There are a number of things that I think make be very un-millennial, for example;

I didn't have a cell phone until I was an adult.

1 steady career path job for 11 years now.

Facebook is the only social media account I use, and I pretty much use it like an email account.

I'm have never, paid for anything in the app store.

But also not so GenX, having used things like Napster, MSN Messanger, and ICQ in highschool.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #24
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was a kid we had a party line, then in my 20's I was downloading free music on limewire.

This is me to a "T".
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #25
NinePack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Chalk me up as well as falling into this group and that it was hard for me to identify perfectly with the other generations in either side that we knew about before.

- had to call friends up on landlines
- had to agree on a time and place to meet that was into the future ahead of time and trust that people would meet as agreed
- had to do all research for school assignments and reports in a library
- used those machines in the library where you'd place 'slides' under a light and look through a lens to read the content (I'm sure someone here remembers what these are called)
- listened to the radio a lot at home
- first computer used was in school and they were Apple desktops, before the PC took over the industry
- watching the TV and reading newspapers was the only way to get news
- read every print article on the Flames and spent a lot of time studying the stats and the standings
- parents purchased flight tickets through travel agencies only
I know its not a microfiche but it reminded me of this for some reason and had a good laugh. Lol

NinePack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NinePack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
You also might be a xennial if you grew up reading the newspaper, calling friends using landlines (and having their parents pick up), and then entered the working world by searching online job postings. You may have rocked a Walkman as a kid before saving up enough money to afford a Discman; then ditching both when you could download everything through Napster.
I'm thinking this also describes you if you were born ~84-86, but weren't particularly well off and your parents had to wait to get you the cool stuff.

... Although even for me, online job postings is too new. I was more on the "walk into sport chek / random family restaurant, ask if I can fill out an application" sort of train.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #27
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Since when does a generation get to name itself, or sneak in an overlapping 'mini' generation? These things have always been mapped out by massive social or political events.

In my mind, Generation Y are what's now being called Millenials, and everything after are the Millenials. Gen Y shouldn't just be disavowed because something cooler sounding came along.

Xenillals is a pretty unnecessary overlapping designation.

The only new subset that makes sense happened one year before I was born, and ended one year after, separating Gen X and Y. It's called the 'Most Awesomest Generation', and you can tell who we are because the walls in a room will glow slightly brighter when we walk through a door.
V, Wood