Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #201
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah....I thought the injury count was much higher than that. That makes sense...I guess.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #202
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Across the province, political operators and media stars offered a range of regrets and conciliatory statements for their failure to take into account the weight carried by their constant analysis of the faith, practices and extremist fringes of Islam dating back more than 10 years.

Journal de Montréal columnist Lise Ravary wrote she has come to realize many citizens fail to catch the nuance between extremism and simple religious devotion in her writing as she has argued for a more secular state.

Parti Québécois Leader Jean-François Lisée admitted he has gone too far sometimes. His party long pushed for legislation that would limit religious accommodation in the province and restrict religious symbols and clothing in interactions with the state. Mr. Lisée once warned the burka – a head-to-toe covering some Muslim women wear – is a security risk because it could conceal firearms for a terrorist attacker.

"It wasn't a good idea to bring that idea into the Quebec debate," Mr. Lisée told reporters Tuesday. "It's not easy to be Muslim in the 21st century. We could turn down our language while still debating our values."

The Bloc Québécois federal party quietly took down an ad from the 2015 election that depicted a niqab – an all-covering black Muslim veil – transforming into a puddle of oil.

As for "radio poubelle" or "trash radio" as critics call it, Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume said the province must "reject … those who enrich themselves with hatred."

One emotional talk radio host in the city admitted Tuesday to an airwave obsession with radical Islam and expressed his shame that his address book was empty when he needed to talk to local Muslim citizens. "I don't think a week passes that I don't talk about their religion, about radical Islam. When I wanted to talk to our own [Muslim] people, I figured out we don't know any. We didn't have a number," said Sylvain Bouchard, morning host on FM93. Mr. Bouchard is far from the meanest host on Quebec City airwaves, and several of his competitors angrily denied going too far.

Muslims in Quebec City and across the province were buoyed by large public rallies of support in recent days but they wonder how much the public debate can change.

"Trash radio constantly wants to talk about Islam and it does us immense harm. We are a small community here and huge numbers of people listen to that radio. They see us, they don't talk to us, they think we're monsters," said Yassin Boulnemour, a friend and co-worker of Abdelkrim Hassane, a 41-year-old father of two who was killed in the attack. "If you want to show us your solidarity, stop listening to the radio."
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...ticle33846243/
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #203
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bissonnette gets life without parole eligibility for 40 years. If i'm not mistaken, with time served he could be eligible at age 60...

Last edited by Fuzzy14; 02-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #204
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointing he has a chance at freedom.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #205
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting that here and with MacArthur they didn't use the consecutively rather than concurrently. I know in the MacArthur case the judge said raising the time allowed for parole would just be a symbolic gesture. Isn't that exactly what you want to do in these sort of extraordinary situations? Let them sit in prison without having this come up for a family so these monsters can troll the victims families in a bogus parole hearing, like Clifford Olsen did.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #206
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I believe the judge said in his ruling that applying the Harper Government's law from 2011 would violate his constitutional rights... thought I don't know that he actually elaborated on that point.

Correction: Judge Huot went so far as to say that the provisions introduced to the criminal code by the Harper government were unconstitutional and would violate Bissonnette's charter rights. Curious whether the crown will be appealing the ruling.

Last edited by Fuzzy14; 02-08-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #207
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
I believe the judge said in his ruling that applying the Harper Government's law from 2011 would violate his constitutional rights... thought I don't know that he actually elaborated on that point.

Correction: Judge Huot went so far as to say that the provisions introduced to the criminal code by the Harper government were unconstitutional and would violate Bissonnette's charter rights. Curious whether the crown will be appealing the ruling.
Bissonette happened in 2017. Isn't he supposed to rule under the current law and let the higher corrects deem if the law is unconstitutional? Am I missing something?
Old 02-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #208
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I believe the judge's declaration of unconstitutionality comes from his dismissal of the crowns request for a 150 year ineligibility for parole. Essentially saying that removing his hope of ever being able to leave prison would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

I believe a Superior Court Judge can deem a law unconstitutional, though when it happens these are generally appealed allowing higher courts to make the final determination. I think this is only coming up 6 years later because its not too common in Canada for situations to arise where the implementing of such penalties is required. If there's no case at bar, there's no reason for the constitutionality to be explored unless the question is referred to the courts by government.

Should state that i'm not a criminal lawyer, so some of my statements could be incorrect
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #209
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So then I guess dangerous offender status is unconstitutional.

I guess this a bit of a gear grinder for me as it was a premeditated hate crime where he killed 6 people and shot others. At this point time served for a crimes he committed should be considered cruel and unusual punishment. There are what they are. He should get any leniency because of the magnitude or horrific nature of his crime.

Just weird interesting that 5 triple murders have gotten the 75 years, but a 8 time serial killer and this guy who killed 6 get less.