Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mother of C-Train Murderer claims Racism lead to harsh sentancing

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...d4b73f&k=31029

Quote:
Outside court, Pasqua's mother - who didn't want her name used because she feared for her safety - said systemic racism worked against her Native daughter.

"Native people have always been dealt with unjustly," she said. "It was a very sloppy investigation."

The woman claimed police didn't collect all the evidence that could have led to her daughter's acquittal. The second-degree murder conviction was too harsh, she added.

"We're going to appeal and see if there really is true justice in this country," she said.
I must say crying wolf everytime is a good way to have it ignored when something really and truly is offbase.

12 years without chance of parole for someone who settled a score with someone by pushing them in front of a train who also has multiple prior run-ins with the law doesn't seem unduely harsh to me. Maybe the mother's just upset that the lawyer couldn't reduce it to the charge to manslaughter.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didnt she push a dude in front of a train?

It has nothing to do with being Native. It has to do with murder.

I'm sure her cellmates wont be too concerned about her race when she is passed through her cellblock like currency.

Now thats an equal society.

Shes a freakin murderer. Native or not, she should be in Jail for more than 12 years!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 02-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? They send people to jail for twelve years for being native? I always thought those types of sentences were reserved for more serious crimes such as, oh I don't know...PUSHING SOMEONE IN FRONT OF A TRAIN!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hypothetical circumstance, but I'm pretty sure that if wasn't native, and she pushed someone infront of a train with the intent of a) injure them, b) kill them or c) both of the above, that the "true justice in this country," would be sending her ass to prison for 12 years, too. Infact, I'd say she got off pretty easy for MURDERING SOMEONE.

As long as people keep pulling the race card, there will never be equality in this country.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has this type of crime ever been sentenced in Canada before? If so, what were the prior sentences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe she's confused, thinking murderer is a race. If so, then I agree.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

How about her daughter's homicidalism that led to harsh manslaughter?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More people need to be put in jail for this length when they commit even manslaughter.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I think it was racist. The crack-whore race has a medium length history of oppression.
Now now, no need for stereotyping. IIRC, she hadn't smoked any crack for a whole 9 hours before this incident happened...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Wasn't there another person pushed in front of a train not too long ago?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Has this type of crime ever been sentenced in Canada before? If so, what were the prior sentences?
Don't try bringing sense into this debate! This mother is a lunatic, and racist!

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is any intelligent debate anywhere in this story as this woman is clearly nearly as stupid as her daughter.

This is one of those stories where if I was native I'd be embarrassed at clowns like this pulling out the race card because then the next time the cops really do beat up an Indian guy for no reason no one is going to have any sympathy.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #14
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

12 years

Last edited by taco.vidal; 04-22-2018 at 11:57 AM.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thnk we can put an end to any holier than thou condescension and the immediate tripe about those in dissent with this mother's expert legal opinion being racists themselves by looking at the facts presented in the article.

Think about it. The minimum time in prison for this crime is automatic life. She got 12 years without parole. WTF is she complaining about racism for?

Quote:
A jury convicted Pasqua last week of second-degree murder - which carries an automatic life sentence
The sentence is pure weak sauce, but lets look past that for a moment.

There are 2 additional years that the Judge added to the Jury's recommendation to be accounted for. Are they:

A) For being an Adult who Murdered a Minor by pushing him in front of a train.

B) For already having a criminal record.

or

C) Being a Native.

Quote:
But Rooke [The Judge] said Pasqua's criminal record, coupled with the fact she was an adult who killed a child in the eyes of the law, worked against her. She didn't have to resort to fighting Prevost on the C-Train platform, he said.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 02-27-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #18
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

There are 2 additional years that the Judge added to the Jury's recommendation to be accounted for. Are they:

A) For being an Adult who Murdered a Minor by pushing him in front of a train.

B) For already having a criminal record.
Not to mention she ran away to hide in Edmonton. She probably wouldn't have gotten sentenced for 12 years if she would have stayed in Calgary and either turned herself in, or remained at the scene of the crime until police arrived.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sentence is fair in my mind whether she's a minority or not. The race card is a weak excuse.

The thing that bugged me reading the paper this morning are that the parents of the victim aren't willing to forgive and called her some harsh things after sentencing. They are forgetting that the victim originally pushed the suspect onto the tracks earlier and that he was dealing/using illegal drugs. Also, why is a 17 year old hanging out downtown dealing drugs? Where are the parents watching over a minor?

It's a sad story for all parties involved and no one deserved to die but the impression I get from the victim of the parents is that their son was a completely innocent bystander. Definitely not the case.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last night they had this on the news. Karla Homolka got 12 years for 1st degree. Race card or not this is a pretty harsh penalty by Canadian standards as mentioned. It was a drug deal gone bad between 2 crack heads. She could have very easily been the one that died.

This by no means condones what happened, and that Canadian justice does need to be strengthened.

Dragon, I agree that the sentence would have been much lighter had she not fled. But who knows she may have become a victim of vigilante justice with Prevosts buddies/fellow drug dealers on the scene.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote