Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 06:55 PM   #21
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting to see how it shakes out. Calgary should be more of a player again on both the European FAs as well as the college FAs. This team can burn a year of ELCs without worry, and give players a lot more opportunity. I am sure Calgary will end up signing a couple of players. Hopefully they land Sylvegard.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:04 PM   #22
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Sounds too much like Marc Savard. Pass....
Yeah, it would suck to get a player to put up a couple of 90+ point seasons
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 07:11 PM   #23
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Marcus Sylvegard's dad, Patrik, is CEO of the Malmo Redhawks.

Sort of like the Swedish version of Jake Bean.
Does the owner of their team not allow him to say återuppbygga?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 07:34 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Best player not in the NHL?
Filthy Rich coming from me, but Jay Feaster talked too much.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #25
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would prefer Roman Cervenka personally

Last edited by nixon45; 03-10-2024 at 07:39 PM.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 07:49 PM   #26
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wonder if the Flames take a look at Daniil Gutik.

Former teammate of Nikolaev and current teammate to Zavgorodniy.

Currently leads his team in the KHL in points as a 22 year old. Big and skilled right handed winger. Could be a sneaky good add.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:10 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
So they cannot outbid anyone. He will look at possible opportunities, which should favour Calgary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Plays on the same team as the one and only Tobias Rieder. Assuming the Flames have the ability to outbid other teams for him, he does not have to be on an ELC?
Because he is already 24 years old (turns 25 in a few months), he is subject to a 1 year ELC.

However this is where things get interesting.

A team could sign him to a 1 year ELC that starts this season and burn the ELC. Meaning he will be RFA on July 1st and no longer subject to ELC rules.

This opens a lot of options to the player. For example he can now sign a one-way deal instead of being subject to a 2 way deal that all ELCs are. Another would be he is no longer limited by the max base salary of $975k, he can sign for more.

Has this happened before? Yes just look at last season with Jake Livingstone and Nashville Predators. Livingstone was widely considered the top NCAA free agent. Nashville signed him to a 1 year ELC, immediately burned it and signed him to a 2 year, one way, $775k AAV in the offseason. (edit: it actually is a 2 way contract but with guaranteed money much higher than what he would have gotten as an ELC)

The downside for the team is that there is a increased cap calculation for the ELC. As explained by cap friendly: https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#increased-caphit . So the team needs to have the cap space to do this option. (BTW the Flames have a lot of cap space)

So while the ELC might limit the teams offers right now, the teams could start making promises on the 2nd contract

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-10-2024 at 10:35 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:48 PM   #28
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yeah, it would suck to get a player to put up a couple of 90+ point seasons
Of course i'm talking about Marc Savard the PP coach.

Marc Savard the player was a top 10 Flame of all time for me.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:18 PM   #29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Marcus Sylvegard's dad, Patrik, is CEO of the Malmo Redhawks.

Sort of like the Swedish version of Jake Bean.
Isn’t Rasmus Andersson’s dad heavily involved with Malmo? Could be an “in”.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:40 PM   #30
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Because he is already 24 years old (turns 25 in a few months), he is subject to a 1 year ELC.

However this is where things get interesting.

A team could sign him to a 1 year ELC that starts this season and burn the ELC. Meaning he will be RFA on July 1st and no longer subject to ELC rules.

This opens a lot of options to the player. For example he can now sign a one-way deal instead of being subject to a 2 way deal that all ELCs are. Another would be he is no longer limited by the max base salary of $975k, he can sign for more.

Has this happened before? Yes just look at last season with Jake Livingstone and Nashville Predators. Livingstone was widely considered the top NCAA free agent. Nashville signed him to a 1 year ELC, immediately burned it and signed him to a 2 year, one way, $775k AAV in the offseason.

The downside for the team is that there is a increased cap calculation for the ELC. As explained by cap friendly: https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#increased-caphit . So the team needs to have the cap space to do this option. (BTW the Flames have a lot of cap space)

So while the ELC might limit the teams offers right now, the teams could start making promises on the 2nd contract
So the Flames could theoretically sign him to an ELC this year when his season is over in Sweden and then sign him this summer to a 2 yr contract. I say do it, not like they have anything to lose.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 PM   #31
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I prefer Fabian Brunstrom
Bruunstrom is my favorite answer to the question "has anyone ever scored a hattrick in their first game and not amounted to anything?"

Oh, yes. Yes they have.

Ryan Poehling is a much more recent example, I just like how the hype surrounding Bruunstrom seemed to be justified... and then wasn't.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:39 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Make a fair offer but don't get into a bidding war over the guy. History shows a lot of the older Europeans who come over with the idea that they'll be top six/top 4 etc. immediately. Some find themselves slogging it out in the AHL salt mines while adjusting to the North American game. Frustrated, they head back home as soon as they can.

Granted, there's always the chance someone can buck the trend, so why not.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:01 PM   #33
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
History shows a lot of the older Europeans
... He's 24.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:17 AM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any other of these guys kicking around in Europe who could make decent NHL players?

Probably a long shot, but former NHL player Nikita Gusev is breaking scoring records in the KHL this season. Now, he is 31 and undersized (5'8", 175), but he did put up 44 points in 66 games with the Devils in his rookie season. They traded him to Florida the following season where he couldn't get it going, and then went back to the KHL.

At his age, he might not want to bother, but if is was free asset and it worked out, it would be one more thing you could trade at the trade deadline.

Another guy I think about sometimes is Filip Chlapik (26). He was a former 2nd rounder of the Sens and they had pretty high hopes for him. They got him into games right after junior and flipped him back and forth between the AHL and NHL. He never really clicked, but he always showed flashes. He had a bomb of a shot. Since leaving the Sens, he has been tearing it up in the Czech and Swiss leagues. Could he be a guy that deserves another look now that he is entering his prime?

Former Rangers draft pick, Dominik Lakatos (26) is another guy I would love to see in the NHL. The guys is a heart and soul player, like to hit and cause a ruckus. He led his team in scoring with his accurate wrist shot. At the NHL level, I see him in the bottom 6 (think Pospisil) as a guy who is fast, feisty and can draw penalties, and pot a few goals. He is a fan favourite over there.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-11-2024 at 10:24 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:39 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when the Flames had right to Johannes Kinnvall, I was pretty exited. An Early injury sidetracked his stint in N.A and now he is back in Sweden.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:42 AM   #36
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Yasin Ehliz was the one particular signing I was thinking about. Four games in Stockton and he bailed.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:55 AM   #37
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why bother unless it is for the Wranglers?

We have Kuzmenko, Pospisil, Coleman, Duehr, Coronato, as well as Mangiapane & Pelletier that can play on the RW.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:59 AM   #38
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Why bother unless it is for the Wranglers?

We have Kuzmenko, Pospisil, Coleman, Duehr, Coronato, as well as Mangiapane & Pelletier that can play on the RW.
How many of those are long-term solutions? A club that lacks talent should always be seeking to add to the asset base and talent.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 10:01 AM   #39
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How many of those are long-term solutions? A club that lacks talent should always be seeking to add to the asset base and talent.
While I agree in theory, who are you sitting/trading to make space for Marcus? I doubt he is signing for anything less than a 1-way contract. He is not an asset if it forces us to trade others for pennies on the dollar.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:05 AM   #40
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Have any of these guys who were not in the KHL as skaters ever amounted to anything? I remember Mark Streit out of Switzerland a few years back and goalies like Hiller and Rittich. Most everyone else was a cup of coffee Nakladal type at best.