Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2023, 05:52 PM   #321
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1664019659304374274
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:00 PM   #322
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
I'm hoping Tanguay! He was awesome as a player, he should be good for Huby
Huberdeau is like Tanguay reincarnated in so many ways.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 06:01 PM   #323
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Makes sense to interview a guy like Gallant but $8M to Sutter pretty much seals the coaching decision. First timer incoming. And this time we should all be grateful!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:04 PM   #324
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably for the best Re: Gallant

He might help them win but I could see it going the way of Darryl Sutter towards the end all over again.

Conroy/Love seemed destined from the start.

And honestly I'd love to have guys like Tanguay and Gelinas on the bench with him.

Our last PP guy needs to hit the road. ####ing team Canada figured out what he couldn't with Weegar on the PP in a matter of days. Pathetic.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 10:04 AM   #325
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can't get Tanguay as a assistant I wonder if Savard becomes an option and if he would even be open to being an assistant coach.

What is the pay bump from going as a HC in the OHL to AC in the NHL?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #326
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
If we can't get Tanguay as a assistant I wonder if Savard becomes an option and if he would even be open to being an assistant coach.

What is the pay bump from going as a HC in the OHL to AC in the NHL?
Depends on the team, especially in the O where some teams are always almost broke but some others throw money around like crazy. But generally a low end NHL assistant salary still blows a head coach O salary out of the water

I haven't been following too closely, but does Savard want an NHL job again? I remember him trying to buy a major stake of Windsor a few years ago

Last edited by btimbit; 06-01-2023 at 10:10 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #327
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I haven't been following too closely, but does Savard want an NHL job again? I remember him trying to buy a major stake of Windsor a few years ago
Well it is being reported the Flames interviewed him already for the head coach job. So yeah I would say he has some interest.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 10:40 AM   #328
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

would the Flames be interested in Sheldon Keefe if he were to become available?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #329
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
would the Flames be interested in Sheldon Keefe if he were to become available?
For sure but I don't think Keefe is going anywhere from what I have heard.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #330
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't know. I think hiring Love is a bit of a cop out. It's kinda like a "the answers are in the room" hire. Honestly, I don't know a lot about Mitch Love's career or how good of a coach he is, but you'd have to think having the best goalie in the CHL for the last two seasons would have some impact on his Coach of the Year awards.

I'm still questioning his decision to give up home ice. To me, that just seems like a non-starter. Like, if someone says, "hey Coach, I know you guys are the top seed in the entire league, buuuuut... how about you get the first two home games, and give us the final three? (in a 5-game series)", I would just laugh at the absurdity and that would be the end of it.

I mean, even if we lose the first two games on the road, we would still at least have the home crowd for each elimination game. If you win one on the road, you just need to go 2 and 1 at home to win the series. Winning both on the road, then you just need to win 1 of your 3 home games to move on.

Just a head scratcher to me and even putting all that aside, I'm still not sure how excited I can be about an inexperienced internal hire.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-01-2023 at 02:03 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #331
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don't know. I think hiring Love is a bit of a cop out. It's kinda like a "the answers are in the room" hire. Honestly, I don't know a lot about Mitch Love's career or how good of a coach he is, but you'd have to think having the best goalie in the CHL for the last two seasons would have some impact on his Coach of the Year awards.

I'm still questioning his decision to give up home ice. To me, that just seems like a non-starter. Like, if someone says, "hey Coach, I know you guys are the top seed in the entire league, buuuuut... how about you get the first two home games, and give us the final three (in a 5-game series)" to me, I would just laugh at the absurdity and that would be the end of it.

I mean, even if we lose the first two games on the road, we would still at least have the home crowd for each elimination game. If you win one on the road, you just need to go 2 and 1 at home to win the series. Winning both on the road, then you just need to win 1 of your 3 home games to move on.

Just a head scratcher to me and even putting all that aside, I'm still not sure how excited I can be about an inexperienced internal hire.
On the flip side you could have been down 2-0 coming home and playing your very best and goalied and lose 2-1 in OT and 3-0 in the series and you are still questioned.

The format really is dumb and can make anyone look foolish.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #332
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:

I'm still questioning his decision to give up home ice. To me, that just seems like a non-starter. Like, if someone says, "hey Coach, I know you guys are the top seed in the entire league, buuuuut... how about you get the first two home games, and give us the final three (in a 5-game series)" to me, I would just laugh at the absurdity and that would be the end of it.

Just a head scratcher to me.
Kind of like a 2 time Stanley Cup winner and Jack Adams winner tapping Nick Ritchie on the shoulder in a season saving shoot out attempt

In all seriousness, you have a 2 time AHL coach of the year who seems to have done more good than bad and won't command a huge salary and knows many of the young players who will see time with the Flames next year. Give him the chance.

And if it winds up being Conroy's first firing in 2 years at least it was a credentialed in house hire. Hard to fault him for that.

Last edited by Toonage; 06-01-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #333
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm still questioning his decision to give up home ice. To me, that just seems like a non-starter. Like, if someone says, "hey Coach, I know you guys are the top seed in the entire league, buuuuut... how about you get the first two home games, and give us the final three? (in a 5-game series)", I would just laugh at the absurdity and that would be the end of it.

Is it the coach's decision on the schedule or was it Pascall's?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #334
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is it the coach's decision on the schedule or was it Pascall's?
He's said it was "100% his decision."
Old 06-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #335
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, you always pick the option that can theoretically give you more home games. Silly
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #336
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Unless you think his evaluation of a silly AHL rule speaks to his overall decision making capabilities it will literally never come up again in his career.

I'd stick with what the players say, wins and losses, and things like special teams.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #337
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Kind of like a 2 time Stanley Cup winner and Jack Adams winner tapping Nick Ritchie on the shoulder in a season saving shoot out attempt
Or Marc Crawford going with Bourque over Gretzky in Nagano.

I guess the only difference is Sutter and Crawford were both Stanley Cup winning coaches, and Love hasn't won a Calder or even been past the Conference Finals (as far as I know).
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 02:16 PM   #338
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Unless you think his evaluation of a silly AHL rule speaks to his overall decision making capabilities it will literally never come up again in his career.

I'd stick with what the players say, wins and losses, and things like special teams.
I watched zero Wrangler games, how did the special teams look?

How much of the special teams is the head coach?
Old 06-01-2023, 02:18 PM   #339
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Or Marc Crawford going with Bourque over Gretzky in Nagano.

I guess the only difference is Sutter and Crawford were both Stanley Cup winning coaches, and Love hasn't won a Calder or even been past the Conference Finals (as far as I know).
I guess my point was that even the most experienced of coaches make dumb mistakes.

Love has a winning record as a coach, and as much as I hate to harp on it, he'll come in on the lower end of the pay scale which has to be appealing to ownership at this point.

I think he's earned a shot. No previous regime stigma like Huska may have. If those were the 2 choices, I'd go with Love.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 02:19 PM   #340
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I watched zero Wrangler games, how did the special teams look?
1st PK
9th PP
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote