Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #481
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
So you have a white supremacist Trump loving sicko and a leftist Warren/Squad loving satanist both committing horrible mass shootings within 13hrs of each other. America is in trouble.
Yeah. Totally both sides here.

I mean one wrote a manifesto explaining his motivation being right wing ideology, and that he killed to further these ideals.

The other shot his sister and a whole bunch of other people but someone found his social media and he has liberal ideals.

Yup. Both sides.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #482
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trump is such a clown. In his press conference, he referred to the shooting in Toledo. The thoughts and prayers are going to the wrong cities. That must be the problem and not guns.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #483
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Trump is such a clown. In his press conference, he referred to the shooting in Toledo. The thoughts and prayers are going to the wrong cities. That must be the problem and not guns.
Having press conferences after every mass shooting you'd think he wouldnt have time for anything else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #484
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
The thoughts and prayers are just for show and aren't going anywhere.

If there truly were a God, and if those in power truly believed in one, do you really believe that such people would consistently act the way that they do?

Heck, even Catholic priests have made it abundantly clear by their actions that they don't believe in the existence of God or in the validity of his alleged writings.

Politicians are doing the exact same thing, invoking God's name as providing the basis and rationale for their choices, but then acting completely contrary to the allegedly called-down-from-above directives.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #485
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Having press conferences after every mass shooting you'd think he wouldnt have time for anything else.
Well, I can’t imagine him having any free time after the press conferences, fast food, and Fox tv time.

Serious question. Could a president do an executive order to enact gun legislation? I assume if it was possible it would have been done by now.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #486
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Your interpretation is incorrect. You have the right to redress, but there is no guarantee that the government is going to acknowledge or act upon your complaint. Just as god hears all prays, he just doesn't answer all of them, the government hears all complains, they just choose not to act on them.

The weapons of war thing is also a bit off. The guns in question are not the same as the ones issued to military or law enforcement. I can get as many rounds down range with both of these rifles using a similarly configured magazine. NSF for size.

NSFW!

The furniture seems to scare people more than anything. They perform the same function. Maybe the government needs to ban semi-automatics? Maybe that is the problem.
Banning semi auto's would be the best thing to massively reduce death tolls in mass shootings, probably wouldn't bring down the overall US death rate but if you limit the wack jobs to bolt action rifles I doubt most could kill more than 3 or 4 in a shooting.

I suspect that making guns look less macho would help as well, I'd pass a law that all guns had to look silly, polka dot pink, no camo allowed, nothing that looked remotely military, that in and of itself would probably reduce some of its appeal to the nutters.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #487
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump is such a joke.

he purposely inflamed the hatred of his base, and now his trying to backtrack... but at every single rally he encourages that behavior, he actively gets his dumber than dirt base all lathered up.

compare Trump to the tenor of McCain, who i had issues with, but respected (until he took on Palin who helped the rise of right wing populism)... this isn't to valorize McCain; he sold his soul the moment he agreed to elevate Palin as his running mate to try winning at all costs... but he was, at heart a decent human being...

the latter tries to inform, rejects lies and misinformation, tries to argue policy and not personality...Trump would have turned that into a Nuremberg rally.... the debate has fallen far in the last decade

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 08-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #488
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Banning semi auto's would be the best thing to massively reduce death tolls in mass shootings, probably wouldn't bring down the overall US death rate but if you limit the wack jobs to bolt action rifles I doubt most could kill more than 3 or 4 in a shooting.

I suspect that making guns look less macho would help as well, I'd pass a law that all guns had to look silly, polka dot pink, no camo allowed, nothing that looked remotely military, that in and of itself would probably reduce some of its appeal to the nutters.
the Dayton shooter had an AR-15 with a 100 bullet drum magazine.

how on earth can anyone support that?! totally, totally unnecessary unless you are looking to kill as many people as possible...

just wait until the US legalizes silencers... then the early warnings you might pick up on with the 'pop pop pop' of a glock suddenly goes down to something fairly inaudible - not completely, but definitely a noticeable difference...

only a matter of time

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 08-05-2019 at 12:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #489
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silencers are legal in all but 10 states, because clearly you need a silencer for defending yourself against.....I've got nothing

Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #490
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

here's your Glock

Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #491
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Silencers are legal in all but 10 states, because clearly you need a silencer for defending yourself against.....I've got nothing

thanks... i confused the reason why silencers were in the news recently... its not to legalize them, as i thought, but rather to simplify or expand access with less regulation

Quote:
Currently regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA), suppressors are subject to additional regulatory burdens. The HPA would reclassify suppressors to regulate them like traditional firearms.
the GOP are introducing the bill as "The Hearing Protection Act"... insane
Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #492
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1158453079035002881

someone showing true leadership... the contrast between Obama and Trump are staggering
Old 08-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #493
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
So are extended & drum magazines available for the autoloader rifles? I have a hard time comparing a 5 shot rifle to what can be done with an AR platform.
Depending on the weapon, yes. Large capacity and drum mags can be available. The “AR” factor freaks people out when they don’t even know what “AR” stands for.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #494
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Depending on the weapon, yes. Large capacity and drum mags can be available. The “AR” factor freaks people out when they don’t even know what “AR” stands for.
Armalite Rifle I would guess
Old 08-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #495
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh. I had always just assumed Assault Rifle.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #496
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
There was a discussion here in Iceland years ago asking Icelander's if the violence in the US had an impact on travel plans to the US, it was a pretty shocking number of people (or not) that said they are unlikely to choose the US for vacation because of the state of affairs there.

Florida used to be a huge destination for Icelander's looking for sun, a lot of that has changed to EU destinations over the past decade.
My friends and I are the same way now and have reduced all non-mandatory travel to the US. With the horrible exchange rate for Canadians and the added scrutiny and extra questioning at the borders now, there aren't many reasons to go to America. Not to mention the increased racial tensions down south for those of a visible no minority (about half of my group of friends, including myself).
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #497
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
My friends and I are the same way now and have reduced all non-mandatory travel to the US. With the horrible exchange rate for Canadians and the added scrutiny and extra questioning at the borders now, there aren't many reasons to go to America. Not to mention the increased racial tensions down south for those of a visible no minority (about half of my group of friends, including myself).
its a tough question... having met and knowing a few americans, most are nice people - of course, discussion of politics is a non-starter, esp with people you've just met...

i was in dallas a couple of years ago, and found everyone to be friendly, cordial and respectful...there are some places i'd have no issues going to...others, i'd have to have a good reason.

there's definitely a disconnect though, when it comes to politics.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #498
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Further, I don't remember where I read it but I think it said only 6 Hispanics died in El Paso? If your whole motive for the shooting was hating immigrants, a Wal-Mart at midday seems a poor target. Seems like it's a convenient scapegoat to shift the argument away from guns.
What an incredibly racist post.

ONLY 6 Hispanics died in El Paso? Are you FRIGGING kidding me?

Even it were true (it's not and it would have taken you 5 seconds to confirm that on the interweb).

The 6 LIVES lost that you refer to may have been the number of Mexican nationals killed in El Paso but Mexicans, Hispanics, what's the difference right.

Here is a link to a partial list of the those killed. Look at it again. You'll see that it was more than ONLY 6 Hispanics that died in El Paso
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #499
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
here's your Glock
Youtube videos are no way to determine the efficacy of a suppressor. They grossly under-represent the report of the weapon as the microphones are not placed in the proper position to record the sound. Depending on the weapon and the suppressor in use, the efficacy can vary. I've got a multi-purpose can and it is very very good, but nothing is a silencer. The best I've seen (heard) is a Ruger product married up to pistol which were designed for each other. Using sub-sonic rounds the report was minimal where the action was as loud. Move to a traditional round and the report was still quite noticeable. The suppressor makes firing weapons ears friendly, but still very audible, especially large calibers with supersonic rounds.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Oh. I had always just assumed Assault Rifle.
There you have it. Most people don't know the actual name is Armalite Rifle. The rifle is grossly misunderstood and people get freaked out by it because it looks aggressive. The furniture (all the things attached to the weapon like rails, sights, so on) make it look more dangerous than it really is. Any weapon in the hands of the wrong person becomes a very dangerous situation.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #500
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone, a gun platform that allows for 100 round drum magazine isn't any more dangerous than other weapons, it just looks more dangerous.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: