Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #501
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
roy to the rags.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1666089633351106564
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #502
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
yesterday on Fan960, morning show wondering if there could be an announcement this week.
Last week they said they would be going into the next phase of narrowing down the list this week. It seems like, based on what other teams do, once it goes into that phase, things happen pretty fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement by Friday. Just guessing of course.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #503
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly I'd be shocked/disappointed if it wasn't Huska or Love.

Two home grown talents that both seem qualified. To not use that as a small market seems like a waste of an advantage.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:19 AM   #504
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
No they haven’t asked or No they have asked?
Given the history of Roy, I don’t think he would be a fit here in Calgary. I’ve herd his name prior to the Memorial Cup started but we just got out of a toxic relationship between Coaching and Team Management.

The presser stated they wanted a cohesive relationship between the two roles. Roy has a history of wanting control/input over player movement.

I could see Gallant working as an advisor role until his next NHL job. *

Going out on a limb here and suggest Love and Green are probably who The Flames have gone farthest down the path with.

I can’t seem to get confirmation on who the X or X,X assistants will be…
Old 06-06-2023, 11:26 AM   #505
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
hmm
https://twitter.com/user/status/1665776616730140672

Seriously though, it sounds like the Flames haven't asked according to this article
https://nypost.com/2023/06/05/patric...rangers-coach/
Iggy's son was playing for Seattle against Roy, and Iggy also played under Roy who was coach in Colorado.

I don't think it's anything more than Iggy being polite and saying hi.

The Avs weren't exactly great under Roy while Iggy was there so I doubt there is a big endorsement for the coach position.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:29 AM   #506
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Given the history of Roy, I don’t think he would be a fit here in Calgary. I’ve herd his name prior to the Memorial Cup started but we just got out of a toxic relationship between Coaching and Team Management.

The presser stated they wanted a cohesive relationship between the two roles. Roy has a history of wanting control/input over player movement.

Going out on a limb here and suggest Love and Green are probably who The Flames have gone farthest down the path with.

Gross Travis Green, the team just can't help themselves with going to that Canuck well.

Really hope its not him they went far with him when they hired Glen as well I believe.

When Freidman said someone new but who hasn't been seen in a while I kind of felt like he meant Green.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #507
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Green is interesting. Has all the experience you want, WHL Championship, AHL Finals, NHL experience.

His AHL teams were veteran minor leaguers so you could say that was an advantage but he also didn't have the benefit of NHL talent, other than having Markstrom as his goalie.

His NHL record is not good, but he was coach right at the beginning of the Canucks rebuild, first year was Sedins last year. The bubble run looks a bit flukey. He did play the young players though, but you are talking about Petterson, Boeser and Hughes, 3 Calder trophy winning prospects that even Darryl would have played; that is quite different than playing non blue-chip prospects like Pelletier, Phillips, Zary, etc.

His last year in Vancouver was disastrous.

It would be really fitting to carry on the tradition of the "Calgary Canucks" though.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:41 AM   #508
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope it’s not Green. I’d rather they roll the dice with Love or Gallant before him.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:43 AM   #509
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Green is interesting. Has all the experience you want, WHL Championship, AHL Finals, NHL experience.

His AHL teams were veteran minor leaguers so you could say that was an advantage but he also didn't have the benefit of NHL talent, other than having Markstrom as his goalie.

His NHL record is not good, but he was coach right at the beginning of the Canucks rebuild, first year was Sedins last year. The bubble run looks a bit flukey. He did play the young players though, but you are talking about Petterson, Boeser and Hughes, 3 Calder trophy winning prospects that even Darryl would have played; that is quite different than playing non blue-chip prospects like Pelletier, Phillips, Zary, etc.

It would be really fitting to carry on the tradition of the "Calgary Canucks" though.
His track record is mediocre worse than Huska.

9 seasons as a coach 1 championship 1 finals loss and 5 times missing the playoffs and fired.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 11:58 AM   #510
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I hope it’s not Green. I’d rather they roll the dice with Love or Gallant before him.
I love Gallant, don't think he got a fair shake in his stops ... few times I think he was a scape goat, nothing we aren't familiar with around here.

The coaching hire will be a clear indicator of what conversations Conroy has had with the existing player group. If there is subtractions from the roster for a better tomorrow your better off rolling with Love IMO and let the group grow together.

Last edited by Sec214; 06-06-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Sec214 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sec214 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 12:16 PM   #511
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Love/Green thing might be similar to the Flames GM finalists rumours, where the obvious internal candidates that were also preferred by a good portion of the franchise are rumoured to be the finalists with a group of underwhelming candidates, only to get chosen in the end, as was always the plan.

So it'll be Love. Guaranteed.

At least that's what I'm telling myself if Sec is right (Savard or Tanguay are dicey but exciting thoughts)

I'll be happy if it's any of those 3
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #512
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I wonder if Patrick Roy has entered the mix.
As a player:
4x Stanley Cup
1x Calder Cup (AHL Championship)
3x Conn Smythe
3x Vezina
5x Jennings

As a coach:
2x Memorial Cups
1x Gilles-Courteau Trophy (QMJHL Championship)
1x Jack Adams

Yeah his previous stint didn't end well, but if there is one thing this guy knows how to do, it's win.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #513
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Roy missed Conroy's call because of too many championship rings in his ears.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #514
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
As a player:
4x Stanley Cup
1x Calder Cup (AHL Championship)
3x Conn Smythe
3x Vezina
5x Jennings

As a coach:
2x Memorial Cups
1x Gilles-Courteau Trophy (QMJHL Championship)
1x Jack Adams

Yeah his previous stint didn't end well, but if there is one thing this guy knows how to do, it's win.
Like Kevin Lowe?

I don't see his playing record or his Jack Adams as particularly compelling. He obviously has a decent minor league career - but so did guys like Brian Kilrea, Willie Desjardins, Mario Pouliot, etc. As an NHL coach his record is just not very good. Perhaps he got thrown in the deep end too quickly. He certainly didn't seem to have an NHL HC temperment. His tamtrums make Maurice's look tame.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #515
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving special no more.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #516
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This site sure wanted him as coach when he was first available.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #517
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I want Gallant just because I was best man at his sister’s wedding. Maybe I could score some perks.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 02:04 PM   #518
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This site sure wanted him as coach when he was first available.
I would take Green over Huska any day of the week. I think Green is a decent coach, he had a pretty garbage team to work with in Vancouver. He certainly isn't my first choice or even my second though.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #519
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Treliving special no more.
We did just hire former Canucks GM Dave Nonis.

So the tradition continues!!
Old 06-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #520
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I love Gallant, don't think he got a fair shake in his stops ... few times I think he was a scape goat, nothing we aren't familiar with around here.

The coaching hire will be a clear indicator of what conversations Conroy has had with the existing player group. If there is subtractions from the roster for a better tomorrow your better off rolling with Love IMO and let the group grow together.
Is subtractions for a better tomorrow being seriously considered by Edwards and co.?
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote