Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #81
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
So let's say the Flames are leading the division at the trade deadline. Are you saying you ship Backlund out of town?
Nope, you keep him for the playoff run and then let him go to free agency. Instead of going out and getting a rental at the TD he is the rental so to speak.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #82
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
IF the Flames are leading the division at the trade deadline then you keep Backlund and go for a playoff run.

Then you hope that he is so good in the long playoff run that the Flames can't afford him.

It is the same as trading away the late 1st or early 2nd round pick that the Flames would likely get for him.
are you suggesting the Flames would likely get a 'late 1st or early 2nd round pick' for Backlund?

Is that what you just said? Geezuzchrist
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #83
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this gets done before the trade deadline. Both sides want a deal and I think they go long term to get the cap hit down. 6-8 year term 5-5.5 per is going to be my guess
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #84
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
are you suggesting the Flames would likely get a 'late 1st or early 2nd round pick' for Backlund?

Is that what you just said? Geezuzchrist
You saying it is too much???

Iginla and Bouwmeester were worth a late 1st

Ladd got a late 1st.

Jagr got traded for a for a 2nd round and conditional 3rd.

Hudler a middle 2nd (#44) and a 4th

Russell was worth a conditional 2nd.

------------------

What would you think the Flames would offer to add Tavares for the playoff run??

Tavares >>>>>>>>>>>>> Backlund

Last edited by ricardodw; 10-21-2017 at 12:00 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #85
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yes. If he continues to be the player we are seeing right now the Flames could very easily replace his contribution with another player. Unless Backlund picks his game up and is leading the Flames in almost every category, the team is better off making a deal for assets, then making a secondary deal for a stop gap to fill the hole. You can’t let significant assets get away and have nothing to show for them. Treliving has pushed enough chips into the hand. He still need to manage the stack long term.
I'm very interested in how the Flames could "easily" replace what Backlund brings. I can't remember the last time a 50 point, top 5 Selke voted player hit the market that we could scoop up.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #86
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump for what's the plan with this guy? Does he just go quietly into free agency?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #87
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Bump for what's the plan with this guy? Does he just go quietly into free agency?
Wouldn't say quietly. With Tavares expressing his interest in staying in Long Island, id say Backlund would become the top free agent this off-season.
I think given his slight downturn this year from last we could get him at a pretty good deal
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #88
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I think the Flames plan to re-sign him, but the cost could become prohibitive.

Backlund will almost certainly finish the season with the Flames, and if they are unable to come to terms before the entry draft, I think they try to recoup some value in a trade for his negotiating rights heading in to UFA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
...I think given his slight downturn this year from last we could get him at a pretty good deal
This would surprise me. If Tavares stays in NYI then Backlund will be the #1 target in UFA at centre. There is no way he signs anywhere for less than $5.5 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-22-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #89
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that years might be more prohibitive than cost. Anything less that 6M is palatable but anything over 5 years is frightening. This is a difficult situation to navigate for BT.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #90
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get it done !
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #91
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think they should negotiate hard and re-sign him even if the plan is to eventually replace him. As long as you do so without an NTC he's worth more as an asset signed. For me as much as I like the player, letting a prime asset like Backlund in his late 20s walk away with no return is unacceptable for a young team like the flames building towards becoming a regular contender over the next 2 or 3 years. When you look at the list of good players who teams let hit free agency in their 20s it's a pretty short one. Well run franchises simply don't do it.

My preference would be:
1- sign and keep him
2- sign and trade next summer when Tkachuk and Ferland are up if you need the cap space
3- trade him now and take the 1st and a prospect/2nd, flip it for a permanent piece or draft prospects
4- let him walk for nothing
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #92
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund currently makes $3.575. Stajan currently makes $3.185.

Giving Backlund all of Stajan's money would make Backlund the highest paid player on the team, at $6.76M. He's not getting more than Gio and Gaudreau. So reduce that a million, pay Backlund $5.76 over five or six years, and call it a day.

I see no reason for an extension not to be hammered out prior to the deadline. This team is gearing up for a playoff run, and Backlund is not a rental. Does he really want to risk an injury heading into free agency, or does he take the security and stick with the team he's spent his entire career with?

Failing to re-sign Backlund would instantly become the biggest black mark on Treliving's record.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #93
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I agree, mismanaging this situation would be a major screwup for Treliving. The part I don't get is why the Calgary media hasn't been asking about or monitoring the situation more, it's the only important expiring contract this year and he's a UFA and yet dead silence.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #94
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Yeah I agree, mismanaging this situation would be a major screwup for Treliving. The part I don't get is why the Calgary media hasn't been asking about or monitoring the situation more, it's the only important expiring contract this year and he's a UFA and yet dead silence.
That's probably not a bad thing - until we have reason to believe otherwise, I'd carry on believing these negotiations are moving forward quietly and under the radar.

Which is how this GM operates. No news is good news.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #95
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Backlund currently makes $3.575. Stajan currently makes $3.185.

Giving Backlund all of Stajan's money would make Backlund the highest paid player on the team, at $6.76M. He's not getting more than Gio and Gaudreau. So reduce that a million, pay Backlund $5.76 over five or six years, and call it a day.

I see no reason for an extension not to be hammered out prior to the deadline. This team is gearing up for a playoff run, and Backlund is not a rental. Does he really want to risk an injury heading into free agency, or does he take the security and stick with the team he's spent his entire career with?

Failing to re-sign Backlund would instantly become the biggest black mark on Treliving's record.
Unless Backlund is somehow traded as part of an upgrade (highly unlikely) then I’ll be very disappointed if he’s not re-signed.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #96
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think this gets done before the trade deadline. Both sides want a deal and I think they go long term to get the cap hit down. 6-8 year term 5-5.5 per is going to be my guess
No thanks
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #97
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign Backlund 5.75x7

Sign Tavares 12x8

Trade Monahan for Stone
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #98
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it was a good call not re-signing him over the summer. He's been less integral over the first half of the season than he did all of last year. Of course he's still a great player, but his stock has gone down slightly during this season.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #99
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they don't bring him back they certainly better have a plan for the 5M or so
Old 01-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #100
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I think it was a good call not re-signing him over the summer. He's been less integral over the first half of the season than he did all of last year. Of course he's still a great player, but his stock has gone down slightly during this season.
Can someone show his possession stats this year versus last? Curious because scoring wise he’s on the same pace as last year. I do agree that he doesnt ‘seem’ to be as important this year as last year, just wondering if there are any stats that show that? Still been an important player and it would be a horrible blunder to not resign him in my opinion (unless it means that hell has frozen over and Tavares signs here). He’s a -5 but I dont take that stat very seriously.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote