Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Re-sign Backlund Thread

This is the only major piece of business the Flames have to worry about over the next year as far as contracts. From my perspective Backlund is the most important forward on the team and he needs to be re-signed.

Only two pieces of news I've seen so far:
Quote:
July 23rd
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017...-contract.html

Fan 960:
Treliving - “There’s no time pressure at this point right now. But we think Mikael is a really good player, an important player here, and we’d like to see if there’s a way to get something done and we’ll explore that.”
Quote:
August 31st
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/31...zon-for-flames

Eric Francis article :
Treliving - "We’ve got lots of time and he’s a good player and a good man,” said Treliving, who has had talks with Backlund’s agent, J.P. Barry. “We’ll see where that goes.”

Quite possibly nowhere, to be frank, as the 28-year-old Swedish centre may very well have priced himself out of Calgary with his breakout, 22-goal, 31-assist season.

Backlund is a two-way luxury the Flames will be lucky to keep beyond this season.

Assuming even a modest escalator, the Flames will have about 20 mil in cap room next summer with Backlund really the only notable piece unsigned for 2018-19. Granted, they have Tkachuk, Ferland and Bennett (not to mention no goalie) to renew for 2019-20 so will need to exercise some long term planning... at this point they will probably have about 32 million for those four, a goalie and a handful of depth players (which seems like more than enough unless Ferland or Bennett become all-stars).

It would be almost criminal not to re-sign him in my opinion and you can bet will start to become a distraction as the trade deadline approaches and the eastern media start salivating over every UFA. Even if he doesn't fit in salary wise a year later, this is a player that would bring a huge trade return that you simply can not afford to let walk away for nothing. That said Treliving has demonstrated a history of leaving contract negotiations late and squeezing out every dollar he can.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let Backlund walk.

Sign Tavares instead.

win.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Let Backlund walk.

Sign Tavares instead.

win.
Let Backlund walk.

Tavares doesn't want to come here and/or we can't afford him.

Lose/Lose.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we afford him? Probably not.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, it depends on many factors imo. How much term and salary does he want? How much does Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski improve this year and where does the club see them fitting in? BT has said he has had initial talks with Backlund's agent while also preaching that Bennett will not be moved to the wing nor will Jankowski. I think the Flames are covering their bases in case Backlund's ask is too high. Keep in mind there are some key contracts coming up that will increase the team payroll by quite a bit and there has to be enough money to go around. I also strongly disagree with the OP saying he is our most important forward. I would rather keep Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Bennett whom I think has a huge upside over Backlund. Even if he will sign for $5M AVV you then pretty much have to deal one of Bennett or Janko as there will be no room for one of them. It is a tough situation indeed. Ideally for me going forward you have Bennett, Monahan, Backlund, and Janko down the middle but I am not sure that is realistic.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Let Backlund walk.

Tavares doesn't want to come here and/or we can't afford him.

Lose/Lose.
Haha. That's a job for the wizard!

Anyway, I agree it's unlikely.....so sign me up for more Backlund! Guy's a stud.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unless you feel that maybe Jankowski could replace him. But he would need significant time in the NHL this year to even begin speculating about that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Flamesfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sign Backlund
Move one of Bennett/Jankowski to the wing

...Profit
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Again, it depends on many factors imo. How much term and salary does he want? How much does Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski improve this year and where does the club see them fitting in? BT has said he has had initial talks with Backlund's agent while also preaching that Bennett will not be moved to the wing nor will Jankowski. I think the Flames are covering their bases in case Backlund's ask is too high. Keep in mind there are some key contracts coming up that will increase the team payroll by quite a bit and there has to be enough money to go around. I also strongly disagree with the OP saying he is our most important forward. I would rather keep Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Bennett whom I think has a huge upside over Backlund. Even if he will sign for $5M AVV you then pretty much have to deal one of Bennett or Janko as there will be no room for one of them. It is a tough situation indeed. Ideally for me going forward you have Bennett, Monahan, Backlund, and Janko down the middle but I am not sure that is realistic.
Agree to disagree on the most important forward, but I think that they can fit him in salary wise, although I am just estimating, let's say they go long term with Bennett and Tkachuk, and both show moderate progression to become 60-65 and 40-50 point a year guys.

Where does that land you in the current market? 6.5 and 4.5/5 mil a year long term? This is all guesswork but let's budget 11 million for those two, another 3.5-4 for Ferland (which I think is being fairly conservative, he's done nothing to demonstrate he's anywhere near a 4 mil a year player yet), a fourth line of young/energy guys ideally around 3-4 mil a year and a depth defenceman to replace Bart at 700k-1m.

That's 20 mil and I think I am being fairly conservative on everything except maybe the 4th line. I think Ferland and Tkachuk could actually be cheaper if they don't really take a step forward.

Leaves 12 mil for a goalie and Backlund. If they buy out Brouwer next summer they'll have 15 million for those two slots and a few press box guys on league minimum.

Seems like more than enough money to me unless he wants north of 7 mil... which would shock me, but who knows.

The other scenario is if the flames owners decide to turn the screws on the fans and cut budget based on their peeing match with Nenshi.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Of course we can... In all probability 18-19 Backlund $$ + Jankowski $$ = 17-18 Backlund $$ + Stajan $$.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Backlund is a player you make room for if you need to.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This one worries me a bit. I can see this one having buyers remorse in a couple years if he is signed for some kinda astronomical number that puts Tkachuks deal at risk. Or some other potential emerging youngster.

But the problem is he really is one of our best players. He really is the full package and he really is the kind of player you win a Stanley Cup with. So I think this one is a tough, risky decision because the man is rightfully going to want to get paid, particularly if he has another solid season.

I think I’d be tempted to bite the bullet and pay more for less years on this one but man, I dunno. It’s not a slam dunk.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

sign him to long term deal hopefully at a home town discount
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way in hell Backlund will be making more money then Monahan,Gaudreau,Gio.

I'd sign him at a 5x5 deal if he was willing to take a discount.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

5.5 million per X 5 years makes sense for both sides. The Flames basically give the Stajan contract to Backlund + promote Janko.

Win-win.

After next season, the Flames will likely need to move Brouwer and Frolik in order to pay for Tkachuk and Bennett's contract extensions, so you deal with that then. Losing centers is never a good idea. They are always the most difficult piece to find. Look at our system beyond Janko. There isn't one that's viable at the moment.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If we're not steamrolling the division by February, you trade him and maximize assets. Can't lose him for nothing but also shouldn't overpay considering Bennett and Tkachuk will need new contracts in T-2 years.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Backlund is a player you make room for if you need to.
I think he was referring to affording Tavares. I have a strong hunch Backlund ends up signing an extremely team friendly deal. I believe it was in his exit interview how he talked about how he felt he owed recognition to the flames for sticking it out with him for so long, giving him the opportunity to prove himself. Sign the man!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #18
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly if the decision is to keep 3 of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett or Jankowski, I would keep Backlund for sure and then the best two for the other 3. No way should this team lose Backlund for nothing.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Re-signing him is a no-brainer. It's not like he'll be an untradeable asset at $5.5M per year. Even if the cap's looking tight for Bennett, Tkachuk, Jankowski et al, we could likely get a king's ransom from a team with shallow C depth. But he's such a crucial part of this team right now, from the sounds of it he loves it in Calgary and I'd love to see him retire a Flame. Wouldn't shock me at all to see a team-friendly deal midway through the season.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett doesn't take step forward this year, I'd be open to trading him and keeping Backlund at ~$5.5M-$6M.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote