Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #841
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Because they are sticking with Casey, I am at the point where I think they should trade JV. JV is my favorite player on the Raptors but Casey has no clue how to run an offence with a skilled big man.

Let JV move on and let him shine.
My thoughts are the total opposite of yours. JV has continually made this team worse defensively, he's too slow to stick with guards coming off the pick and roll. His offence in isolations is robotic and his passing is awful when he gets trapped. His best attributes are his finishing ability near the rim and his rebounding.

I believe that this Raptor team was better off keeping Bismack Biyombo.

In saying that I totally understand that it is hard to be on a team with Casey and Demar. He's an offensive guy and he needs touches, but IMO he's not a player with much more going for him than the isolation game.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #842
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Because they are sticking with Casey, I am at the point where I think they should trade JV. JV is my favorite player on the Raptors but Casey has no clue how to run an offence with a skilled big man.

Let JV move on and let him shine.
JV will flourish in a system where the coach knows how to use him - he will put up good numbers and could become at least passable defensively. He just isn't the guy for the system Casey wants to run.

Sad part is we aren't going to get close to full value for him.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #843
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we don't get full value for a pretty good young centre, why deal him? To me, he's never been a guy you just unload because of a bad contract. He has some decent talent that 80% of teams would take him on because of his skill and position. To me he has good value and if you can't get equal value in return for that type of asset, you keep it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #844
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
If we don't get full value for a pretty good young centre, why deal him? To me, he's never been a guy you just unload because of a bad contract. He has some decent talent that 80% of teams would take him on because of his skill and position. To me he has good value and if you can't get equal value in return for that type of asset, you keep it.
They're over the luxury tax, with an above average team, and their owner is MLSE. They HAVE to shred some salary and the easiest way to do it is with Jonas or Cory.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #845
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The saddest part is they could have gotten harden for JV out of OKC but said no

I do see the merits of JV, especially off the bench he could lead offense on a 2nd unit

But with what they have it's best to move him and get a shooter back

Or even just open up cap space and get Gallinari
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #846
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

From TSN:

The Golden State Warriors will re-sign forward Kevin Durant to a two-year contract worth about $53 million with a player option for the second year, according to ESPN's Chris Haynes.

He will take a pay-cut of around $9 million per season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #847
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
My thoughts are the total opposite of yours. JV has continually made this team worse defensively, he's too slow to stick with guards coming off the pick and roll. His offence in isolations is robotic and his passing is awful when he gets trapped. His best attributes are his finishing ability near the rim and his rebounding.

I believe that this Raptor team was better off keeping Bismack Biyombo.

In saying that I totally understand that it is hard to be on a team with Casey and Demar. He's an offensive guy and he needs touches, but IMO he's not a player with much more going for him than the isolation game.
JV is a player who looks like he loses interest in games where Casey is intent on letting his guards jack up high volume low percentage shots with no accountability.

I can't say I blame him.

You're right in that the Raps should have kept Bismack, but not because he's the better player. It's because he's a better fit for the incompetent offensive scheme that Casey runs.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 AM   #848
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jaylen Brown looked super polished in the Summer League game against the Sixers. Tatum's shot form is funny, but it has no problem finding the mesh. Those two are going to be stars for Boston in a couple of years.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #849
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston getting Hayward is a great pick up for them. They still need to upgrade their frontcourt but they definitely have the assets for some trades to balance out the roster.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #850
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

assuming they go smallish

Horford
Hayward
Crowder
Bradley
Thomas

Bench of Brown, Tatum, Smart, Rozier, Olynyk

still have Zizic and Yabusele stashed overseas who are both bigs and a lot of scouts like

Crowder seems to be odd man out, would be a perfect guy for the raptors but I can't see Celtics doing that
Old 07-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #851
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

trades have to be made, between now and next year I assume 1 or 2 of Crowder, Bradley, Smart are moved

they could roll out a lineup of

Horford
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Thomas

that's very good and should be for the next 5 years+, and defensively that gives so much coverage for Thomas too that his D isn't a liability

plus the bench would be deep

plus they have Brooklyn next year, potentially Lakers if it's 2-5, and then in 2019 have better of Sac or Philly (which doesn't look great right now since both have improved)

Brooklyn will be bad again so one of Porter or Doncic is likely
Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #852
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

SportsCentre‏@SportsCentre
JUST IN: @celtics renounce rights to Canadian Kelly Olynyk, making him an unrestricted free agent (via @wojespn). http://www.tsn.ca/1.796603
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #853
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

36% on 3's last year, 40% year before

Masai should push for him
Old 07-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #854
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hayward is a nice player but the gap between the Celtics and Cavs is still rather large even after adding him. I think the Celtics are building their team more for the post-LeBron world than for next year. They'll probably trade Smart and Rozier for more picks since they can't afford to take on more money. Still don't have that true #1 though so they gotta keep digging or hope Brown pans out (who I am much higher on than Tatum).

As for Olynyk on the Raps that would be a big pass on that one. He is going to cost too much and not be worth enough value wise. Unless PP is asking for an absurd amount, best to bring him back, or give Siakim more minutes, or even hold on to JV since Olynyk might command a similar per year average.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #855
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
36% on 3's last year, 40% year before

Masai should push for him
That's what I'm thinking as well. This guy was pretty highly touted, and did alright his rookie year (after I didn't follow). Why wave him? Is Boston really that deep?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #856
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston needs to create cap space to fit Hayward in for the max, so they renounced him. Also speaking of PP, he goes to OKC for 3 years and $16 million total. Probably one of the best contracts signed all offseason in terms of relative value, not sure how the Raps didn't go for more. But to curse the Carroll contract, his cap hit will be move than Tucker and PP's combined. Definitely Masai's worst move.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #857
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Patterson left the Raptors and signed with OKC as per TSN.

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors have lost free agent power forward Patrick Patterson to the Oklahoma City Thunder on a three-year, $16.4 million contract, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The deal includes a player option in the third year.

The 28-year-old averaged 6.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.2 assists over 65 games with the Raptors in 2016-17, his fourth year with the team. He struggled in the playoffs, averaging just 3.4 points per game.

Toronto acquired Patterson from the Sacramento Kings as part of the Rudy Gay trade in December 2013.

TSN Raptors reporter Josh Lewenberg says he thought the Kentucky product might have got $16.4 million annually coming into last season, but a down year plus a cooling market caused him to take less.

Last edited by OzSome; 07-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #858
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

OKC really needs another outside shooter but their front court is strong

They have the benefit that their 2 top guys are very solid on defense as well
Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #859
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olynyk also brings a physical presence out there as well.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #860
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I saw Olynyk was a better playoff performer than Patterson has been; for me that's the biggest disappointment of Patterson. Raptors needed him to have an impact off the bench and he entirely failed in that regard this year.

That said, I think the only way the Raptors could pick up Olynyk is on a sign-and-trade, and I don't see how or why Boston helps them out on that.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba