Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #41
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I actually enjoyed the guy who had that show before Jason, I think the guys name was Todd Wright
That was honestly one of the best sports talk radio shows I've ever heard. I was so disappointed when they canned Todd.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #42
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the other day i also noticed how many times pete hums and haaws while doing a radio intereview, but hardly at all while doing a flames broadcast.

wonder what the difference for him is? maybe he is more mentally prepared for a flames game.

while he may not be perfectly smooth on the radio, i too like his stories.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #43
Austin Powers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I actually enjoyed the guy who had that show before Jason, I think the guys name was Todd Wright
I liked Wright also.

"All night, with Todd Wright on ESPN radio"

I liked Smith too.

Last edited by Austin Powers; 09-27-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #44
Austin Powers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
the other day i also noticed how many times pete hums and haaws while doing a radio intereview, but hardly at all while doing a flames broadcast.

wonder what the difference for him is? maybe he is more mentally prepared for a flames game.

while he may not be perfectly smooth on the radio, i too like his stories.
Id say its just Maher being a bit out of his element.

I know hes tons of interviews over the years, but hes still at his best when hes calling Flames game, he's in his element.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #45
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of the morning show guys was apologizing today for comments he made yesterday. I didnt catch the whole thing. Who was it and what did he say yesterday? It seemed like it may have related to Saskatchewan.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #46
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Not going there Boomer" went there
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #47
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

probably the comment regarding how he hoped the Riders plane would crash on the way to Calgary...

see the 2012 CFL reg. season thread where it is being discussed
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #48
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He said that? What an idiot.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
probably the comment regarding how he hoped the Riders plane would crash on the way to Calgary...

see the 2012 CFL reg. season thread where it is being discussed
Yep. He was just doing his anti-Rider schtick towards Warrener. He may have gone a little too far but if you listen to the show with any regularity you would know he was just kidding around.

Apparently Rider nation is all up in arms and we all know how big their voice is. Go to any CFL poll on who was the performer of the week or best QB in the league and it will be Dressler or Durant at the top despite neither being remotely worthy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #50
Knut

Exp:

Might need a Boomer replacement too after he told Walker and Warrener that he hopes the riders get into a plane crash on the way to Calgary this weekend. He only wished for 4 deaths of players and none to women, children and plane crew though.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Might need a Boomer replacement too after he told Walker and Warrener that he hopes the riders get into a plane crash on the way to Calgary this weekend. He only wished for 4 deaths of players and none to women, children and plane crew though.
He was joking, I as a staunch Riders fan could tell the nature of those comments. I hope he doesnt get rail-roaded out of town for those comments.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to North East Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #52
ozzy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I read this on facebook today:

"During the morning show on Wednesday, November 7th, on Sportsnet 960 The FAN, our morning show host, Dean "Boomer" Molberg made an offside comment about the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It was a misguided attempt at humour. Our station, our company and of course myself as the program director do not condone this comment. It was uncalled for and embarrassing for our entire staff here at the station. I would like to offer my sincere apology to go along with Dean's on air apology that was aired today.

Kelly Kirch - Program Director"
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
He was joking, I as a staunch Riders fan could tell the nature of those comments. I hope he doesnt get rail-roaded out of town for those comments.
The province of Saskatchewan is up in arms lol. You gotta love Rider nation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #54
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is Boomer's apology letter.

https://www.facebook.com/sportsnet96...47469848600503
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Dean (Boomer) Molberg:

I’m writing this letter of apology in regards to the unacceptable comments towards the Saskatchewan Roughriders I made during our morning show on Sportsnet 960 The Fan on Wednesday, November 7th.

It was an attempt at being funny, which in the end was neither funny nor appropriate. Not even close. It was clearly not thought out, for if it was I’d have never said it. There is no excuse for it, and I’m not in any way looking to defend my actions. This was in no way, shape or form a ratings ploy or an attempt to garner attention to myself or the radio station. I made a mistake.
I would like to firstly apologize to the Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club, staff, players and family and fans. My comments are no doubt troubling to you all, and as someone who has a young family myself, I hope you can understand the regret I have for saying them. I made a huge error in judgment and very sincerely wish no harm to any of you. We are all appreciative of the rivalry that exists between these two clubs, and I unfortunately made a terrible choice in an attempt to add fuel to it.

I wish to apologize to Lyle Bauer, John Hufnagel and everyone involved with the Calgary Stampeders Football Club. The Stampeders are a first rate organization, and I’m sorry that my foolish comments are something that you have to deal with at any time, let alone this close to the biggest game of your season. I’d like to specifically apologize to Stamps offensive lineman Edwin Harrison. My comments would be especially troubling to you given the loss of your grandfather. To all at the Stampeders office, I hope you can understand the remorse that I feel for involving you in this.

I also need to issue an apology to the Canadian Football League and its members. The League has done amazing work during this historic season to celebrate its rich history en route to the 100th Grey Cup. I have watched the CFL since my childhood and have wonderful memories of watching games with my family. I’m deeply sorry that because of my comments, even a small amount of attention will come away from the playoff games and be focused elsewhere.

I apologize to Rogers Communications, Sportsnet 960 – The Fan, Kelly Kirch, and all members of our staff. We work incredibly hard to bring a product to the air that we can be proud of. On Wednesday, I said something that instead, brought embarrassment to us all. I made a foolish decision and now the entire family and staff are subject to this awkward situation. To our listeners, I hope you don’t take this isolated set of circumstances and make a conclusion about me or our station.

This may seem like a hollow gesture to some, but I can assure you it is extremely heartfelt. I am deeply rattled by what has happened. This was not premeditated or meant in a serious manner what so ever. It was a throw away comment at the end of a segment, that I very much regret. -Dean
See More
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #56
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The station should have milked it until at least after the game. Very poor taste, but made for good shock radio.

Rogers should probably can Boomer, and revamp the whole station for the new year.

And please do not bring in Loubardias, Francis, Kerr or Billions, perhaps Ken Newans, Bart Dailley or Bill Powers are available.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #57
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Is this really the society we've crafted? Throwaway, nothing comments that aren't in any way serious now have to be apologized for?

Let me try this. 'Boy that Hitler, bit of a tool but made some good points!'

Who wants an apology? Good lord, the only guys on the Fan who TRY to be remotely interesting, and even that's not enough. What is it about this culture, when anyone tries anything remotely out of the norm, the masses either demand an apology or become oversensitive freaks?

Remember Bad Mouth Bettman, the sketch Richards did during the last lockout? That was as funny as anything Loveline, Howard Stern, O&A or Kevin & Bean have ever done, yet he nearly got booted off the air twice for it. WTF.

Boomer, I hope whoever made you write that apology is one of the four you allowed to perish on this weekends' flight. JFC.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #58
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I just got an email from Fan 960 and I came here to find out what he was apologizing for.

Definitely an over the line comment, but the apology is comprehensive (to say the least) and hopefully everyone just moves on.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #59
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When does Kirsh offer an apology for the rest of the 960 train wreck
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #60
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silly comment, but that's quite the over-reactionary apology. Pretty sure that 3000 essay could've been condensed down to 15.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: