Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #1841
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My wife has a 7+ and I just got an 8. My 8 is night and day faster than her 7+. Just how fast apps launch, switch around, etc.

That said, get the 256 GB model. That way like your current 6 you can get 3 full years out of it. If you buy a 7 it will be 3 years old in just 2 years.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #1842
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, I can't buy apps through my PC via iTunes anymore? It has to be on my iPad or iPhone? And I can't buy iPad apps from my phone?

WTF?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #1843
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Wait, I can't buy apps on my PC via iTunes anymore? It has to be on my iPad or iPhone? And I can't buy iPad apps from my phone?

WTF?
The newest iTunes put back the App Store.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1844
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
The newest iTunes put back the App Store.
I'm on 12.7 and I don't see it? Am I blind perhaps?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #1845
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s a special build. People have been complaining, with good reason, that iTunes was bloated so they removed the App Store. It’s a start, but they should have made it possible to push apps from their website, like google play does.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/09/get-i...ith-app-store/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #1846
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Correct ^

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #1847
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s a special build. People have been complaining, with good reason, that iTunes was bloated so they removed the App Store. It’s a start, but they should have made it possible to push apps from their website, like google play does.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/09/get-i...ith-app-store/
Ahh thanks. Yeah, #### that change.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #1848
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but thought I'd check with some of the more regular Apple users on the network side; is it possible to setup a Time Capsule as a shared drive? Or is it just for backup purposes only?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #1849
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but thought I'd check with some of the more regular Apple users on the network side; is it possible to setup a Time Capsule as a shared drive? Or is it just for backup purposes only?
It is also a shared drive. You need to install the Airport utility to use it on a Windows machine but it will just show up in the Finder in your Mac once it's set up.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #1850
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Message Effects. Is there some way to configure the length of time required to press the "send" button before it goes to the effects window? I seem to be triggering that constantly when sending out text messages, and it is becoming a nuisance.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #1851
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There are a ton of unboxing, review and lineup videos already for the iPhone X.

This one comes from Casey Neistat. Watch until the end.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #1852
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Managed to get a 64GB space grey with the reserve/pickup option this morning. Pre-ordered the silver so I'll cancel that.

The battery on my 6 is horrible. It randomly shuts off when there is still power left and drains really quickly.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #1853
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So I'm a little torn between the 8+ and X, first world problems, I know. Rant time.

Currently, I have the 6+. And since iOS 11, it has been brutal. Locks up on a regular basis, slows down to a crawl, and have to wait for it to catch up. The battery isn't near the full capacity it used to be. All nit picky stuff, but probably time to get a new one.

Couple random thoughts when I'm deciding between the models.

8+ will probably the last major upgrade for this form factor. Future versions will migrate to the "budget" models in this form, and gear towards the X form for the major versions/features.

Assuming that is correct, the 8+ will probably be the Cadillac of this form factor, the final form, ideally the perfect iPhone. Probably very little issues with it from this point forward, other than minor bugs that would get software fixes. Missing features that are exclusive for the X, but overall, solid and reliable experience we all know.

The X on the other hand, latest and greatest, always fun to have those. But, higher chance of hardware issues with this being the first generation in this format, new OLED screen, what's the failure rate? The switch from Touch ID, to Face ID, I imagine there'll be some frustrations from that? not as fast or responsive. All apps and software have to be updated to account for the notched screen. Just an overall maturation process needed from a lot of areas.

I know those will all get fixed over time, but the current frustration with my 6+ is making me want to get a new one very soon.

The nerd in me wants the X to have the latest in greatest.
The other thought is stick with the 8+, stay with the reliability of it for another year or two, and sell it when the X form factor/problems mature a bit more in the next generations.

Decisions! End Rant.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #1854
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Does anyone's iPhone X have terrible sounding speakers??
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #1855
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Negative.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #1856
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
So I'm a little torn between the 8+ and X, first world problems, I know. Rant time.

Currently, I have the 6+. And since iOS 11, it has been brutal. Locks up on a regular basis, slows down to a crawl, and have to wait for it to catch up. The battery isn't near the full capacity it used to be. All nit picky stuff, but probably time to get a new one.

8+ will probably the last major upgrade for this form factor. Future versions will migrate to the "budget" models in this form, and gear towards the X form for the major versions/features.

Assuming that is correct, the 8+ will probably be the Cadillac of this form factor, the final form, ideally the perfect iPhone. Probably very little issues with it from this point forward, other than minor bugs that would get software fixes. Missing features that are exclusive for the X, but overall, solid and reliable experience we all know.

The X on the other hand, latest and greatest, always fun to have those. But, higher chance of hardware issues with this being the first generation in this format, new OLED screen, what's the failure rate? The switch from Touch ID, to Face ID, I imagine there'll be some frustrations from that? not as fast or responsive. All apps and software have to be updated to account for the notched screen. Just an overall maturation process needed from a lot of areas.

I know those will all get fixed over time, but the current frustration with my 6+ is making me want to get a new one very soon.

The other thought is stick with the 8+, stay with the reliability of it for another year or two, and sell it when the X form factor/problems mature a bit more in the next generations.

Decisions! End Rant.
I was in the same boat. I had a 6 though and had to keep charging it throughout the day. It would randomly shut off and also lagged since iOS 11. I’d go for a run with 60% battery and it would just turn off. With the X, I was not sure about the home button going away and I really like Touch ID, especially with Apple Pay.

I’ve had my X for two days now and I have to say it’s much better than I thought. It’s very responsive although I am comparing it to a 6. Face ID is fantastic. It’s so quick that when I pick up my phone it’s already unlocked so I can start to use it. It’s worked when I had glasses on as well. Impressed so far.

Apple Pay is easier to use now I find since I already need to look at my phone before I tap.

The form factor is great. I have CarPlay in my car and the center console where I plug in doesn’t fit my wife’s 7+.

It is a bit of a narrower screen though so a lot of video apps will have huge black bars on either side.

Overall I’m glad I went with this instead of the 8+.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #1857
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post

Decisions! End Rant.

We have an iPhone X in the office for testing purposes, I really wanted to hate it, the notch, the price, the lack of touch id... but it's honestly a pretty damn nice device.

I'm not envious enough to trade in my iPhone 7 for one, but if I were in the market for a new phone and I was on the fence... I'd go for the X. It's a substantial upgrade, the screen and camera are both stunning.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #1858
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Has anyone used a 3rd party repair place for iPhones that they would recommend? Need to replace the LCD and battery on my iPhone 6
Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #1859
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://imobilecalgary.ca/

dude comes to your location. I have had him replace 5s charging port and 6s Screen, no problems.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #1860
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Has anyone used a 3rd party repair place for iPhones that they would recommend? Need to replace the LCD and battery on my iPhone 6
I have used iphix (Core and Eau Claire), I have found them to be reasonably priced.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post: