Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #101
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

I'm glad we got to put a stop to the Rider's winning streak ... infront of Rider fans

Stamps clinch a playoff spot in week 14? insane...
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #102
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Duron Carter is such a loser, makes a catch for 2 yards and thinks he is all that. fits in with the hillbilly rider fans
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #103
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Riders locked arms for O Canada why?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #104
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Stamps have officially clinched a playoff spot with this win today.
They already had before this game IINM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #105
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
They already had before this game IINM.
They had not after last week's games (disputed being mentioned near the end of last week's win by the commentators), I don't know if the earlier results of this week clinched a spot. I suspect this win was still required.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #106
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
They had not after last week's games (disputed being mentioned near the end of last week's win by the commentators), I don't know if the earlier results of this week clinched a spot. I suspect this win was still required.
But they clinched after this win, right?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #107
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

After BC's loss, they could still win out and get 22 points. The Stamps had 21 going into this week's game. They needed the win to fully clinch.

The Stamps have also guaranteed that they'll finish ahead of every Eastern team. The worst they can do now is 4th in the West, which would give them the crossover.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Calgary needs 7 points to clinch first over the Bombers, so they can probably play .500 or less right now to the end of the season and take first.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #109
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article that has a gif of the Adeleke hit on Roosevelt and some very good tweets from Nik Lewis:

https://3downnation.com/2017/09/24/h...player-safety/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #110
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Good article that has a gif of the Adeleke hit on Roosevelt and some very good tweets from Nik Lewis:

https://3downnation.com/2017/09/24/h...player-safety/

Though it should not have been penalized, I understand why the officials did throw the flag.

Things happen so fast in real time and with this hit it looked like it was a hit to the head, which it was, but not because of what Adeleke did or didn't do. He played it exactly the way you want, go in with your shoulder to the chest...unfortunately Roosevelt ducked his head at the last possible second which led to his being knocked out before he even hit the ground. This stuff is going to happen in contact sports for as long as they are ever played. Either be OK with it or stop watching it. It will always have this element until they start playing flag football instead of tackle, or they outlaw any contact in hockey.

Also reading this thread the day after is hilarious. Messam is no longer a 2 down back apparently, yet he leads the entire CFL in rushing yards and rushing TD's. Dave Dickenson is a terrible play caller, yet as a HC he is 26-3-2. Something there tells me that maybe he knows pretty well what he is doing?

I guess when a team has only lost 3 of their last 31 regular season games, some people have to find something to bitch about?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #111
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Though it should not have been penalized, I understand why the officials did throw the flag...
It was difficult to swallow in the larger context of multiple games. I was more upset that this hit was called only a week after Micah Awe got away with THREE blatant head infractions.

Quote:
Also reading this thread the day after is hilarious. Messam is no longer a 2 down back apparently, yet he leads the entire CFL in rushing yards and rushing TD's. Dave Dickenson is a terrible play caller, yet as a HC he is 26-3-2. Something there tells me that maybe he knows pretty well what he is doing?

I guess when a team has only lost 3 of their last 31 regular season games, some people have to find something to bitch about?
Let's be fair here. This incredulous rhetoric has come courtesy of one poster, TheAlpineOracle, who clearly harbours an irrational hatred for Dave Dickenson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #112
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game wasn’t as close as the final score suggested. Stamps dominated, and but for some poor officiating and some bad finish by the Stamps, this was a comfortable win.

“The Hit” was clean, and should have been called either incomplete or a fumble recovered by the Stamps. The non-call on the first roughing the kicker call was ridiculous. Their is no way Dave should have had to use his challenge flag for that.

Overall, the offence needs a bit more finish and this team will be unstoppable.

Riders are meh. Their offence is meh, their defence is decent, but overall they are probably destined for 4th or 5th in the West.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The problem with the Riders drop 9 rush 3 defense is that it just opens the way for the running game and it gives a QB all kinds of pocket time. I'm pretty convinced that if you have Jordan, Daniels and Durant in the lineup this games a laugher.

I never felt that the riders offense was a real threat in this game, even when Bridge came out and had a decent drive, the Stamps figured him out in a hurry and murdered him after that.

If I'm the Riders I have to start worrying when the weather gets colder and wetter and teams run the ball a lot more.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #114
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
After BC's loss, they could still win out and get 22 points. The Stamps had 21 going into this week's game. They needed the win to fully clinch.

The Stamps have also guaranteed that they'll finish ahead of every Eastern team. The worst they can do now is 4th in the West, which would give them the crossover.
I think that perhaps, due to the way the schedule shakes out, there was no available scenario where the Stamps could have missed the playoffs.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/football/Canada/CFL.html

It says that last week's games made a 0.0% difference to the Stamps' chances of making the playoffs, which means they already clinched.

Last edited by Mathgod; 09-27-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #115
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that perhaps, due to the way the schedule shakes out, there was no available scenario where the Stamps could miss the playoffs.

It says that last week's games made a 0.0% difference to the Stamps' chances of making the playoffs, which means they already clinched.
at 5-8-1 Ottawa is 90% for the playoffs lol

oh CFL

For the Stamps its Grey Cup or failure
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #116
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Though it should not have been penalized, I understand why the officials did throw the flag.

Things happen so fast in real time and with this hit it looked like it was a hit to the head, which it was, but not because of what Adeleke did or didn't do. He played it exactly the way you want, go in with your shoulder to the chest...unfortunately Roosevelt ducked his head at the last possible second which led to his being knocked out before he even hit the ground. This stuff is going to happen in contact sports for as long as they are ever played. Either be OK with it or stop watching it. It will always have this element until they start playing flag football instead of tackle, or they outlaw any contact in hockey.

I think you should look at Messam's stats a little closer. He may lead the league in rushing but that is because Calgary is essentially the only team in the league that still actively uses a running game. He has anywhere from 40-65 more carries than any other of the top 5 running backs in the league (178 carries). Yeah he gets the TD, No complaints there, but that's why he's still in the league. He's in the league for Short yardage situations which is he still very good at. That said, he's a lot slower than he used to be, goes down a lot easier, fumbles quite a bit (can't find the stat on CFL website but I'd bet he's up there for RBs), and seems to be getting frustrated with this as he's now taking a lot of dumb penalties. I don't have any problems with Messam really, just how Dickenson is using him which is out of Messam's control.

Dave Dickenson coach is a good young coach that we are lucky to have, but his play calling is quite questionable at times and he has a lot to
Learn still. For example, it will be 2nd and 1 and he'll call a pass quite frequently, but when it's 2nd and 8 he'll run Messam for some reason. We can Sugarcoat it all we want, but his decision on goal line last year in OT against Ottawa cost us th Grey Cup. It will come with time, but there are still some warts.

I'm to the point where I don't even care about this team's regular season record. They need to win games when it matters. Beating up on garbage like Toronto and Hamilton doesn't cut it.

Honest question. Do you actually think our team's record would be much different over the last couple years without Dickenson? I don't really.
The horses Huff gives him makes it pretty easy to be setup for success. He's definitely a good coach on the rise, but you give this roster to most coaches in the league not named Kavis Reed and they would have a similar record.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-28-2017 at 01:52 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #117
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that perhaps, due to the way the schedule shakes out, there was no available scenario where the Stamps could have missed the playoffs.

Nope, not officially.

BC and Saskatchewan don't play each other again, so they both could have won out and finished ahead of the Stamps if the Stamps had lost out.

After BC's game, but before the Stamps-Riders game, there was still one scenario that could have seen the Stamps miss the playoffs -- Calgary loses all remaining games 21 points); BC & Saskatchewan win all remaining games (22 & 26 points respectively); Edmonton wins all remaining games except those against BC & Sask (22 points); and Winnipeg wins all remaining games except against Edmonton and BC (24 points). The Riders actually could have afforded 2 losses, as long as neither was to the Stamps. The Bombers could have been okay with a win against Calgary and either Toronto or Ottawa.

It may have been so unlikely that its chances rounded to 0%, but it still could have happened.

Tags
#nextmanup , riders , stamps , watermelon