Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:00 AM   #4801
KPat99
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The best coaching decision by Greg Gilbert, waiving Berube to stay on the ice.

This was my first live game... no wonder I became a fan for life.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:07 AM   #4802
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The game has truly softened.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:08 AM   #4803
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Moments like this, my good people, is why we need more Thanks!
Old 03-17-2021, 01:27 AM   #4804
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX View Post
Was at this game. By 3-0 the arena started to clear out, folks started going home. Most entertaining event(s) of the game after half the building cleared out. Allowed a lot of die-hards in the 300s to come down and get better seats/standing room in the mid-floor/concourse level for what was probably one of the most interesting nights of the year.

Lambert was not prepared for the prowess of Iginla that's for sure.

Pretty sure the kid left on the bench (Hentunen) only played a couple more games in the league after this.. Gilbert probably kept him on the bench for safety - I remember him looking pretty spaced out and in disbelief on the jumbotron. A lot of guys who weren't known scrapper got in tussles - even token ones.
I was one of them that cleared early and missed the only entertainment that night I only learned about it later at a pub on 17 and 5 where a bunch of players hung out after games, Regehr who was usually a very quiet reserved guy was still pumped and was ordering doubles and Vernon was laughing his arse off between triple ryes 2 hours later.

A note on Berube, I got to know him very well in his first stint with the Flames and he was a total of a freak of nature, if you saw him in street clothes you couldn't believe he was a tough guy, skinny little arms and a small beer belly but man was he a warrior!
Old 03-17-2021, 01:44 AM   #4805
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league came down hard on the Flames for that. It was ridiculous how one sided it was. They put all the blame on Gilbert and the Flames and sided with the veteran Murray who had all his friends at NHL headquarters.

Didn’t matter, I thought the flames cleaned house in those fights. Highlight of that season for sure.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #4806
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I was one of them that cleared early and missed the only entertainment that night I only learned about it later at a pub on 17 and 5 where a bunch of players hung out after games, Regehr who was usually a very quiet reserved guy was still pumped and was ordering doubles and Vernon was laughing his arse off between triple ryes 2 hours later.

A note on Berube, I got to know him very well in his first stint with the Flames and he was a total of a freak of nature, if you saw him in street clothes you couldn't believe he was a tough guy, skinny little arms and a small beer belly but man was he a warrior!
I swear the toughest guys I've ever played against seemed like beanpoles but man did they hit hard.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #4807
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I swear the toughest guys I've ever played against seemed like beanpoles but man did they hit hard.
I remember when Semenko was considered to be a monster local media talked up an exhibition boxing match with him and Muhammad Ali. Ali was considered to be a large heavyweight, but when they set out the tale of the tape in the articles he was still a bigger, heavier man.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #4808
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Iginla’s reaction at 2:47 is hilarious!

Can’t believe Lambert kept that fight going so long. So many opportunities to tie up between beat downs.

I also love that play by Sawyer. Would like to see Tkachuk and Lucic do that once in a while if our goalie is run. Just right away, deliberate and obvious. His gloves were off immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #4809
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Jukka Hentunen.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #4810
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Peter Maher

That Flames team was... not good, but they were entertaining. Yeah Berube with a bit of a dick move to hit Guigure, but it was a mild bump. The cross check to the face from Sawyer to Vernon was garbage and the ensuing beat downs of every Duck was well deserved. Was hilarious to see Langkow flip the puck over the boards intentionally and listening to Peter wonder why he didn’t just kill the clock... only to have Berube come out and chase down some poor Duck to lay one last beating down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #4811
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
I miss Peter Maher

That Flames team was... not good, but they were entertaining. Yeah Berube with a bit of a dick move to hit Guigure, but it was a mild bump. The cross check to the face from Sawyer to Vernon was garbage and the ensuing beat downs of every Duck was well deserved. Was hilarious to see Langkow flip the puck over the boards intentionally and listening to Peter wonder why he didn’t just kill the clock... only to have Berube come out and chase down some poor Duck to lay one last beating down.
Dave Lowry. Langkow wasn’t acquired for a few years later.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #4812
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
There is no way Kassian is going to fight Ritchie. I don't think Nick is as tough as Brett, and here is that fight:

Kassian fighting doesn't scare me. It is his reckless hits. That's what scares me. He is an idiot and will take a bad penalty, which is great, but I fricken hate worrying about him and his reckless head-hunting hits.
Listening to the commentary, they mention how the Oilers were up to 2-0 in the game, and how Kassian maybe shouldn't have fought.

If you're wondering how that game ended, the Oilers were up 3-0 late into the third. Then a bunch of stuff happened, including Ryan Kesler ending up in Talbot's crease, and the Oilers eventually lost 4-3 in double OT.

Yes, that game.

I can't remember who won the series though... maybe Zack remembers.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #4813
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I miss Peter Maher

I'm pretty sure that Gilbert's message was "no matter what Chief gets out of the box". Lowry being the Savy vet understood that message. I did like Greg Gilbert a lot before that, he just wasn't ready to be an NHL head coach. But the way he casually waived at Berube to stay out was visually awesome.

You could almost here the Imperial theme when he calmly stepped out of the penalty box.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #4814
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Iginla’s reaction at 2:47 is hilarious!

Can’t believe Lambert kept that fight going so long. So many opportunities to tie up between beat downs.

I also love that play by Sawyer. Would like to see Tkachuk and Lucic do that once in a while if our goalie is run. Just right away, deliberate and obvious. His gloves were off immediately.
As you watch Iggy it’s worth remembering that season he was the leagues leading goal scorer (easily) and point getter - somehow he even finished 9th in lady byng voting-

What
A
Player
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #4815
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad Lambert got beat down. Was pretty clear his intention when he took the ice with out elbow pads on. I do remember the Flames getting the worst of the discipline, which was a joke.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #4816
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was hilarious to see Langkow flip the puck over the boards intentionally and listening to Peter wonder why he didn’t just kill the clock... only to have Berube come out and chase down some poor Duck to lay one last beating down.
Berube's victim was Jeff Friesen, who unsurprisingly turtled immediately. Strangely enough, the Flames signed him a few years later. It was not a good signing.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 03-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #4817
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I wish I was a fly on the wall as all the players who were getting tossed walked into the dressing room.

HEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...........whose arse did you kick Reggie?

HEYYYYYYYYYYY Chief! you went with WHO? FRIESEN? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #4818
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Hahaha.

Steinberg is on SN 960 right now ripping on Edmonton Oilers fans for being consulate, ridiculous homers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-17-2021 at 03:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 08:09 PM   #4819
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Anaheim is also no good but Edmonton is far more no good.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #4820
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Berube's victim was Jeff Friesen, who unsurprisingly turtled immediately. Strangely enough, the Flames signed him a few years later. It was not a good signing.
Not only does this have nothing to do with Edmonton, but it is also not a good look, considering Friesen went public with problems related to pain killers forcing him to retire after he played for the Flames.
Closed Thread